Wild mushrooms?

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Wild mushrooms?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    VictoriaLST

I love mushrooms, and there are 55 edible (non-hallucinogenic) mushrooms in CR but I can’t find a list or pictures! Very frustrating. If anyone has suggestions, or is in the Nuevo Arenal/Tilaran area and wants to hunt for some, please send me a reply 🙂

maravilla

i have a friend who harvests wild mushrooms on her farm near San Isidro de General. i think they are dependent on altitude so i don’t know if the Arenal Lake region is high enough. she gets Reishi mushrooms the size of a dinner plate or larger which she tinctures. and i think she’s found oyster mushrooms. i would love to find a spot where there are boletus edulis like we have in colorado at 8000 feet. one year we harvested over 50 pounds of porcini in just one outing! i know porcini grow here but you have to find an oak grove high up in the mountains.

costaricafinca
    Participant

Our friends harvests Indigo mushrooms at approx. 700 mts in the Guanacaste interior.

johnr

While limited geographically – this could be a good start:

NEW! Common Mushrooms of The Talamanca Mountains, Costa Rica
    In this unique field guide, Roy E. Halling, Curator of Mycology for the New York Botanical Garden, and Gregory M. Mueller of the Field Museum in Chicago, present an introduction to the diversity of macrofungi found in the tropical oak forests of Costa Rica’s Talamanca mountain range. 101 species are described. Combining research from the last ten-plus years, Halling and Mueller have concentrated on the collection, description, and documentation of mushrooms that occur naturally in Talamanca’s tropical montane wet forests. The species that are emphasized are ones the authors encountered routinely or which are particularly outstanding in appearance. Also included are a background introduction to the forest habitats of the Talamanca mountains, a guide to collecting mushrooms, and a glossary to technical terminology. 195 pages, softcover.
    BICMTM $19.95

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.