Widroval U.S. Dollars in Costa Rica banks

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Widroval U.S. Dollars in Costa Rica banks

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Antonic

I have canadian bank card is posibility to widroval us money on the card and what bank eny imput will be very appreciated we be there July 11 Antonic

happygirl

Antonic, I have had no problem using my Scotiabank card in CR. I always use Bank of San Jose, because it is the closest to where I stay. You can withdraw US dollars or colones. Of course, there is a charge, so make sure you withdraw a decent amount every time you use your card.

Antonic

Thankyou happygirl good to know i wos refering more to automatic ATM i have Bank of Montreal Tanks again

ssure

I use TDCantrust, Pres. Choice and Royal bank cards. I have trouble with Pres. Choice only. I think you want to be sure your BMO card is on both the main networks. Pres. Choice is only on one of the two main networks. It’s part of CIBC so I assumed it would be on both. But it’s not. So I would assume (but do not KNOW) that CIBC cards might have a wee bit of trouble there.

I can’t recall if the bank machine offers a choice of US dollars or Costa Rican colones when I use one of my debit cards in C.R. I don’t think it does so you’d have to withdraw Costa Rican Colones. If the machines do offer a choice, as I see it, you’d be paying exchange from Can. $ to US $ and then spending them in C.R. I don’t know that you’d be gaining anything by not exchanging Can $ for Costa Rican Colones. Or do you know something I don’t?

I’ll be back in C.R. this weekend. I’ll see if the machines offer a choice of US or Colones and report back if no one else clears that up for you.

happygirl

I’m sure your Bank of Montreal card will work just as well. There are lots of ATM’s available now in Costa Rica. I have had no trouble finding them, even in beach areas.

Antonic

Check it out for me when you return if you would be so kind. I understand that I would lose money by converting Canadian $ into American $ but I thought it was necessary for immigration purposes. No, I don’t know something you don’t know. I wish I did!!!! Thanks for your help!

Antonic

Thankyou too happygirl for imformation

xspire1

I have used an RBC Card in Costa Rica ATM’s (mostly Banco BCR) and have had no problems. At BCR you can select a withdrawl in Colones or US Dollars.

Interestingly, I have found that I get a better exchange rate by using a Visa Card for purchases in Costa Rica than the bank gives me for direct cash withdrawls from the ATM.
    You may want to check this out with your bank before you leave.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.