Why not tell the truth about what life is like in Costa Rica?

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Why not tell the truth about what life is like in Costa Rica?

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    unacharmed

I am hauling it off to Florida because our lawyer was out of the office when we sent him all our original documents for residency last year. His wife died and he was out for 3 weeks. Someone apparently took off with them. First he said he hadn´t received them and and would keep checking. When confronted with the EMS Correos signature confirmation, he admitted they were gone. Then my husband got sick and died, all within 11 months. At 56. So now I have to start all over with my own residency. That is why I am back and forth to Florida. Paso Canoas is a difficult border crossing. And becoming a recent widow has its challenges. Lots of paperwork and Murphy´s Law situations in addition to grief and a whole lot of other emotions that slow one down. Life will settle down soon I hope.

Sorry you are going through so much unacharmed. That sounds overwhelming and here you are contributing to this network. I hope you have good support around you and that everything will fall into place as you need it.

[quote=”unacharmed”]I am hauling it off to Florida because our lawyer was out of the office when we sent him all our original documents for residency last year. His wife died and he was out for 3 weeks. Someone apparently took off with them. First he said he hadn´t received them and and would keep checking. When confronted with the EMS Correos signature confirmation, he admitted they were gone. Then my husband got sick and died, all within 11 months. At 56. So now I have to start all over with my own residency. That is why I am back and forth to Florida. Paso Canoas is a difficult border crossing. And becoming a recent widow has its challenges. Lots of paperwork and Murphy´s Law situations in addition to grief and a whole lot of other emotions that slow one down. Life will settle down soon I hope.[/quote]

janetl2424

You have been through quite a lot and are a huge inspiration to me. I am close in age and hope to be living there permanently in the next year or two. Thanks for your posts!

Lotus123

Condolences unacharmed, make sure to take care of yourself. Meditation has been a great way for me to deal with stress etc. Sounds like the Southern Zone has all the wonderful things a person needs to really feel at peace. Sending love and waves of positive energy your way!

unacharmed

Thank you so much, Janice and Lotus. You just never know what is going to happen. As they say, tomorrow is promised to no one. I have dubbed Golfito as the land of broken dreams. I have seen many a gringo sideswiped by life. We have all worked so hard. Get here soon! All the best to you all.

Octavia

[quote=”unacharmed”]I have been living in the southern zone for close to 2 years full time, with trips back to the states every 3 months. We had the house for 6 years prior and came down twice a year for vacation. The house is an old, ugly, small Tico house and needs lots of work and things are breaking down on a weekly basis. It is on an acre of absolutely breathtaking land.

I actually find it comical. To me it is an adventure. Above ground pvc water pipes, going up to the mountain to straighten them out and fix the leaks with hule (bicycle tires) after a lot of rain, monkeys descending in packs jumping from tree to tree, fresh fish from the public dock, excellent chicken, beef bones for my puppy, a great Salvadoran neighbor couple who helps me all the time, a neighborhood gringo/tico bar, close to the Panama border for a modern supermarket and clothing, a great automechanic who delivers my truck back to my house after he makes his repairs, gorgeous natural environment, the chickens who make daily visits and the rooster who crows, a huge gulf where I can take my rowboat and trolling motor in the back of my pickup truck and put put over to an island (with my dog!) where drinks are served, or bring your own, and have smoked pork and fresh lobster (no butter sauce!), lots of kids and families enjoying the beach and the day.

I can download movies and kindle books and have Netflix, Skype, great internet that hardly ever goes out, buses and taxis whizzing by if I need one, no hurricanes, sunny practically every day, internet banking and bill paying.

Using aeorcasillas to have stuff delivered from Amazon right to my p.o. box. I could go on and on.

On the downside, yes, I have to find a solution to all the household defects and appliance problems and the insects eat me alive. And living without a/c.

But even knowing that 99% of Americans would think me crazy, I feel so lucky. The only thing I miss is a library and an occasional good steak.

I still have a modern house in FL and could return. For now, for me this is an adventure of a lifetime. Im loving it!
    [/quote]

“Using aerocasillas to have stuff delivered from Amazon right to my PO box”–could you please provide a few more details as to how this works?

unacharmed

[quote=”Octavia”][quote=”unacharmed”]I have been living in the southern zone for close to 2 years full time, with trips back to the states every 3 months. We had the house for 6 years prior and came down twice a year for vacation. The house is an old, ugly, small Tico house and needs lots of work and things are breaking down on a weekly basis. It is on an acre of absolutely breathtaking land.

I actually find it comical. To me it is an adventure. Above ground pvc water pipes, going up to the mountain to straighten them out and fix the leaks with hule (bicycle tires) after a lot of rain, monkeys descending in packs jumping from tree to tree, fresh fish from the public dock, excellent chicken, beef bones for my puppy, a great Salvadoran neighbor couple who helps me all the time, a neighborhood gringo/tico bar, close to the Panama border for a modern supermarket and clothing, a great automechanic who delivers my truck back to my house after he makes his repairs, gorgeous natural environment, the chickens who make daily visits and the rooster who crows, a huge gulf where I can take my rowboat and trolling motor in the back of my pickup truck and put put over to an island (with my dog!) where drinks are served, or bring your own, and have smoked pork and fresh lobster (no butter sauce!), lots of kids and families enjoying the beach and the day.

I can download movies and kindle books and have Netflix, Skype, great internet that hardly ever goes out, buses and taxis whizzing by if I need one, no hurricanes, sunny practically every day, internet banking and bill paying.

Using aeorcasillas to have stuff delivered from Amazon right to my p.o. box. I could go on and on.

On the downside, yes, I have to find a solution to all the household defects and appliance problems and the insects eat me alive. And living without a/c.

But even knowing that 99% of Americans would think me crazy, I feel so lucky. The only thing I miss is a library and an occasional good steak.

I still have a modern house in FL and could return. For now, for me this is an adventure of a lifetime. Im loving it!
    [/quote]

“Using aerocasillas to have stuff delivered from Amazon right to my PO box”–could you please provide a few more details as to how this works?[/quote]

costaricafinca
    Participant

There are many items that [url=http://www.aeropost.com/web/frontend/restringidos?lang=_eng&country=sjo]aerocasillos will not accept[/url] to send onto you [url=http://www.aeropost.com/web/frontend/restringidos?lang=_eng&country=sjo]CR address.[/url]

unacharmed

“Using aerocasillas to have stuff delivered from Amazon right to my PO box”–could you please provide a few more details as to how this works?[/quote]

You go to aerocasillas, which is also called aeropost. There is an option for English. Fill in all the information, your p.o. box in costa rica, your credit card info. They give you 2 addresses, a mailing address for letters and a p.o. box for packages. Go to your Amazon account and add the package address. Some companies will only let you ship to your billing address but Amazon permits multiple addresses. You create an account, your logon is the sjo-xxxxx number they give you and you create a password. As indicated, print out U.S. postal form 1583, sign it and scan it with 2 forms of i.d., I use my passport and FL drivers license, along with the invoice, to the email address indicated on their website. Their website provides shipping rates and customs duties for a variety of items. There is no monthly fee. You only pay for each individual shipment. You can track the package on their website. Your packages are insured. They will send you an email when package has arrived. I think you can just have the package sent to the nearest post office, but I have a p.o. box so I do not know. The package usually spends a few days in the customs warehouse and their tracking info is a day or so behind, so if you are in a rush, check with your post office. The package may already have arrived. They also have what is called a Prealert to notify them that a package is on its way. Hope this helps.

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.