Why cars in Costa Rica are so expensive?

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Why cars in Costa Rica are so expensive?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Jungfraujoch
    Participant

The vehicles because of the import taxes..
    In contrast to CR, the Swiss salaries even at 50,000 CHF / year for low-jobs and well paid for it with 100,000 CHF only release.
    Considering that the potential revenue / output ratio of CR to Switzerland is very expensive..
    for example:
    1 liter Milk in Swiss 1.05 CHF
    Ok real estate is another topic .. 90% of the population rent in switzerland,because real estate in switzerland is very expensive but the rent in costa rica are very high in comparison

Edited on Feb 19, 2009 15:17

Andrew
    Keymaster

I am not at all clear what it is you are trying to discuss here…

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

plasticbrad

I think you have a point. I would love to know what it is.

postalx

Curious myself. Some sort of rotational logic?

rafaelo

Cars/Salary/Switzerland/Costa Rica/real estate/ & Milk in just 8 lines of text, wow!

Chuckles

Perhaps it is because Costa Rica is often called the Switzerland of America!!!

Jungfraujoch
    Participant

@Chuckles

But in Swiss salaries even at 50,000 CHF / year for low-jobs and price for 1Liter Milk 1 Dollar..
    All products except fruits are cheaper in switzerland as a costa rica!

Wats the salaries in Costa Rica for low-jobs?

Edited on Feb 20, 2009 16:58

Edited on Feb 20, 2009 17:03

DavidCMurray
    Participant

The Costa Rican labor law specifies a minimum wage by occupation, so store clerks, for example, are paid a different wage than truck drivers, but most workers are paid the minimum wage specified for their occupation.

That said, there are many, many workers here who work for less than c2,000 per hour. The current exchange rate is about c558 = $1.00US. So they’re working for less than $3.60US per hour (and I may be overstating the case).

If working in Costa Rica is in the back of your mind, jungfraujoch, you need to know that to do so legally is virtually impossible.

azjimaz
    Participant

And this all relates to the high price of vehicles in CR, how?

Vmc

[quote=”azjimaz”]And this all relates to the high price of vehicles in CR, how?

[/quote]

I suspect that there might be a little bit of a language barrier, but I think he is trying to rationalize why the cost of cars is so disproportionately high compared to the cost vs. average salaries in Switzerland, and have someone help him understand why the cost is so high…..

I think that someone more knowledgeable than I might explain the import duties, as I THINK that that is where his answer lies…..could be wrong.

Hope the answer is found!
    Best to All!

Dan.

soldier

Was ist das alles? Sounds like a price comparison inquiry, vehicle expense inquiry. Another member hit it on the head, the import taxes; make the vehicles more expensive.

sprite

[quote=”DavidCMurray”]That said, there are many, many workers here who work for less than c2,000 per hour. The current exchange rate is about c558 = $1.00US. So they’re working for less than $3.60US per hour

[/quote]

I keep reading that the average Tico income is about $600 per month. That would put the average family income at $1200 would it not? Don’t most households in CR have both parents working?
    I can’t understand how people live on such amounts.

jdocop

They don’t have:
    air conditioning
    water heaters
    glass in their windows, or screens
    more than one toilet
    more than a very small gas stove (bottled gas, of course)
    more than one TV
    more than a boombox, for stereo
    computers or internet
    security lighting
    much meat in their diet
    big refrigerators
    toasters
    can openers
    microwaves
    Mr. Coffee coffeemakers
    lamps
    ceiling fans
    cars
    beer by the case
    pet food
    ice makers
    long distance

And, their kids don’t have:
    iPods
    Playstations
    Xboxes
    personal TV’s or computers
    personal cell phones
    designer clothes
    Air Jordans (OK, my age is showing; whatever $200 tenny is currently required)
    BMX, or other fancy bikes
    cars at 16
    They do eat lots of black beans, rice, veggies, fruits, and other healthy things
    If they work, they have the CAJA, so no medical expenses

DawnVA

[quote=”jdocop”]They don’t have:
    air conditioning
    water heaters
    glass in their windows, or screens
    more than one toilet
    more than a very small gas stove (bottled gas, of course)
    more than one TV
    more than a boombox, for stereo
    computers or internet
    security lighting
    much meat in their diet
    big refrigerators
    toasters
    can openers
    microwaves
    Mr. Coffee coffeemakers
    lamps
    ceiling fans
    cars
    beer by the case
    pet food
    ice makers
    long distance

And, their kids don’t have:
    iPods
    Playstations
    Xboxes
    personal TV’s or computers
    personal cell phones
    designer clothes
    Air Jordans (OK, my age is showing; whatever $200 tenny is currently required)
    BMX, or other fancy bikes
    cars at 16
    They do eat lots of black beans, rice, veggies, fruits, and other healthy things
    If they work, they have the CAJA, so no medical expenses[/quote]

This gave me a good chuckle! Thanks! I liked the “no glass in their windows, or screens” and yes, I know you are being serious!

maravilla

most of the stuff on that list is excessive. who needs more than one of anything? ice maker? microwaves? Mr Coffee? i’ve never owned any of those things. and they will probably live longer without a lot of meat in their diet! as for the kid’s stuff, that’s just massive consumerism and a waste of a person’s intellect. playstations, xboxes, air jordans — if i were queen for a day i’d banish all that useless stuff. and on $1200 a month, most people can live quite well in costa rica. you just can’t live the typical gringo lifestyle, but who would want to down here anyway?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.