Where’s the change?

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Where’s the change?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    editer

Hey Scott,

Last week, your weekly newsletter promised improvements to the welovecostarica website. I don’t know how you could make it any better, but I was curious to see what changes you would make. They were to take effect last Thursday, but I haven’t noticed anything different. Were your changes delayed temporarily or did you decide that it is foolish to mess with perfection?

editer

Andrew
    Keymaster

We have changed hosts already…

We are adding new departments to make it easier for people to find quality homes, we will adding a FaceBook style member profile section so that our new members can make friends even before they come to Costa Rica, we’re upgrading the Discussion Forum and adding a ‘Your Comments” section where all “Buenos Amigos” Members can add their personal comments to articles posted and we’re adding a ton of good stuff to the Download Library, some of which you can see at:

[ https://www.welovecostarica.com/members/programs/opendownloads.cfm ]…

There is hundreds of dollars worth of stuff just in the Download Library…

You have not seen any changes yet but I have at least 60 hours into this already and before all that is activated and people can download that information we will also be changing the site to a paid subscription site.

All existing VIP members who have been with us for a long time – like you editer who have been a loyal VIP Member for over five years – will be given the opportunity to upgrade their membership at an enormous discount to what we will charge new VIP Members ‘probably’ at the beginning of October …

Why am I changing it to a subscription site?

WeLoveCostaRica.com offers an enormous amount of extremely valuable information that simply can not be found anywhere else.

I do not want advertising where scam artists can easily target our VIP members (we’ve tried it and it does not work) so we’re hoping that the subscription takes care of all the website’s basic expenses so we can focus more time on producing more quality articles and videos for our VIP Members.

As always, your comments and constructive criticism are appreciated…

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

costaricafinca
    Participant

Sorry to read that it will soon be a ‘subscription site’

Andrew
    Keymaster

Why ‘costaricafinca’?

As an example, we have 89 online videos on the site.

Each of those videos cost a minimum of $200 in editing plus time and travel which has often doubled that cost…

89 x $200 = US$17,800 for the videos alone…

Scott

PS. In case you’re wondering ‘costaricafinca’, when I say “subscription” I am referring to a one time payment of $97 for a one year membership however, existing VIP Members will be able to upgrade their membership for a fraction of that amount.

costaricafinca
    Participant

Scott, I realize that you have put money into keeping this site going, but feel that there are other ‘free sites’ out there. I am not saying they are any better or worse than yours, only different.
    Personally, I have only watched two videos. And since I am already here, most of what is posted, is ‘old news’ or just a continual repetition of previously asked questions, so to speak, designed for the potential ‘new comer’ to Costa Rica.
    I just add my 10 cents worth, to help provide people with information I have learned in my nine years of living here.

Good luck with your proposed changes

countdown

Sorry Scott, I’m with CRF. I’ve been following CR forums for years, and on WLCR, I don’t think I’ve watched any of your videos and doubt I will. I periodically check the forum for topics posted, and a few times I’ve looked at the WLCR real estate section, but if it were a subscription I wouldn’t be here.

I know that the economy, and current real estate crater, has hit you as well as so many of my friends and associates here in Costa Rica, but I don’t think that charging for marketing information (sorry, that’s what it is) is the answer.

Hope you find a way to keep the community going without charging admission.
    CD

Andrew
    Keymaster

Thanks ‘countdown’ – Although we’re delighted we have a lot of long time Costa Rica residents, clearly the information on my site is not directed at people who’ve lived here for years… And yes! As mentioned, we’ll make it very special to keep our existing members…

Would it make a difference to you if we called it a “membership” instead of a “subscription”?

Would love to know…

Scott

countdown

Scott,
    I lived here 35 years ago, and have only moved back in the last year. Still looking for the right house to buy or build, so I don’t count as “lived here for years” but I’ve been actively involved in Costa Rica for years. So I’m probably more your demographic than the “gee, I think I’ll move” sort, and my comments and contributions on other boards help others as well.

And no, I wouldn’t be interested in a paid membership. I truly believe that move would be the death knell for your site. Not immediately, but it sure would reduce the traffic and visibility. You’re currently one of three or four most popular C.R. sites. If you make it paid membership (call if VIP or anything else) I’d guess you’ll see a 95% or more drop in traffic, and I’m not sure the remainder would justify what you’re actually selling.

Just my opinion. I enjoy much of what you publish and would be sorry to see it go dark.
    CD

Imxploring
    Participant

I’d have to guess that between the slowdown in interest in Costa Rica (and relocation retirement everywhere) and the economy in general that now is not the best of times to go with a paid subscription business model Scott. There may be millions of baby boomers out there, but between their 401ks becoming 201ks and the implosion in the real estate markets in many parts of the world folks don’t have the cash to make the big move at the moment.

This site has always had great content, that which you provide, submissions from folks in the know and in the market, and most importantly these user forums. My guess is pretty much along the lines with Countdown… a paid format will result in a major loss in current users that will not be replaced with new subscribers.

It’s your site Scott… and your call. I know you’ve always had the best interests of promoting CR and providing valuable information to folks… and allowing folks to exchange ideas and info… but at the end of the day this is a business, cost money to host, and takes up a lot of your time… it’s not a hobby and you’re not a charity.

The user forums to me are one of the most useful part of this website. While I one for would be willing to subscribe under a paid format (hopefully with a nice legacy rate!) to continue having access to this site… I’m not sure that the level of participation over time will continue to provide the useful exchange I find so valuable.

The paid content online format that many news outlets have experimented with has not worked out as they had hoped… and I’m not sure it’s the way to go here either. No matter what you may decide I’m sure you have the best on intentions… and those of us that have been around a while know that!

ANDREWFORCR

I’d have to say I agree with most of the other respondents. I likely wouldn’t pay a subscription or membership fee or whatever else it might be called, especially if the forum isn’t free (I can get the same information on other sites for free!) as people who post here oftentimes post on other sites such as Costa Rica Living. I also agree on the videos. If most people don’t find value in them, just stop making them or if they are from service providers, charge them a fee to have them on the site, just like the commissions received from real estate agents. Sure, we all understand that the business is probably taking a hit in terms of commission revenue at the moment and in the past offering a lot of free stuff was easier when substantial revenue was coming in the door from other sources, however others have tried this including the New York Times and Wall Street Journal, and all of them failed. My guess is that even if the site is targeted to people in other countries who may be considering Costa Rica, and not current residents, you’ll like see a huge drop-off in new VIP member sign-ups, and even lose a chunk of existing VIP members. When I see these types of sites, I’m very hesitant about paying unless I’m pretty darn sure I’ll be a regular visitor. People who may be considering Costa Rica but are not sure would likely look at other free sites first. Maybe before making the change, you should query existing VIP members via email and see how much of an impact the fee might have, even at a reduced rate? It might also be a proxy for estimating what attrition rate you’ll have and what to expect for new members signing up. Just my dos colones!

Edited on Sep 16, 2009 03:51

Edited on Sep 16, 2009 03:54

clayton

The breadth of the sites members, and contributers would be greatly reduced and in turn so would its content and experience. As much as this site is part of my daily routine I too would fore go a paid association. I would hope you could find another income stream such as your books and DVD’s, which I have purchased in the past, to compensate for the energy expended on our behalf. Truly a great site and forum you have created. Best of luck, it’s your call.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Thank you gentlemen & women…

This has been a bit of a complicated discussion for you since none of you know what parts of the site were to remain totally free and what parts would be for paying members only but I very much appreciate your feedback and will be having a “good long think” – again – about how to move forward.

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

costaricafinca
    Participant

Another comment, Scott, would be why you would want to include ‘a facebook’ style member section?
    If someone wishes to partake in this type of ‘socialization, could they not just add that info., via a PM?

Andrew
    Keymaster

What is a PM?

One of the man concerns of people moving to a new country is: “Will we be able to make friends easily? And this feature will certainly help people make friends before they even arrive …

Scott

editer

Yeah Scott,

I’m going to wait to see the changes and the fees before I get my pants in a bunch. However you should provide a few weeks free sample before you apply the fees. Like everyone else, I like free stuff, but I also feel that every person deserves compensation for his or her time and effort. I’ll probably stick around.

editer

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 52 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.