Where to go in October

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Where to go in October

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    maravilla

we’ve decided to try and escape the rains of october for 10 days or two weeks. was going to rent a house in nicaragua, but it rains like hell there, too. is there any place in costa rica where it rains less during that month???

rosiemaji

Have you considered the Carribian coast? I think it rains less there because the rains are more spaced out over the whole year.

maravilla

thanks, rosie — yes, we are considering the eastern side or wherever it doesn’t rain as MUCH!!!! if you have any suggestions about specific places, i’d love to hear. we’d really like someplace where we could cook because neither of us likes to eat in restaurants, and also we are taking the dos perros!

VictoriaLST

Can I come too? Never been here in October, but if you say it is nasty……

rosiemaji

I don’t know of any specific places. However, I have been to Cahuita. If I should ever go again, I would go to Puerto Viejo. I have heard it is much nicer there including the beaches. But that has been about 6 years ago. There are plenty of ads online but I am sure there are many places for rent that you won’t see on the internet that might be less expensive and more flexible. Finding a place that will allow the dogs could present a problem. Ticos are not so pet friendly as we gringos are but if the dogs are well behaved, not too big and leashed, you might be able to convince some owners to accept them. After all, October would be considered the “off-season” and they might be happy for a rental. I think I would gather some info online and make some phone calls to see just what is available.

When we went to the Carribian coast 6 years ago, the road from Limon to Cahuita was in horrible shape. It had so many potholes that we couldn’t drive around them but had to go through most of them. I don’t know if that situation has changed or not but it is worth asking about. It was still doable, just slow.

rosiemaji

[quote=”VictoriaLST”]Can I come too? Never been here in October, but if you say it is nasty……[/quote]
    Some people like the rain. It replenishes the lakes, rivers and underground aquifers so that everyone has water to last throught the dry season. “Nasty” is a matter of opinion. Most people call it the “green season”. And so it is – the trees are green and flowers bloom everywhere you look. Along with that, dirt gets muddy and sometimes there are landslides. October is a favorite month for whitewater rafting. It is the month when the rivers are the highest and the wildest. These diehard rafting enthusiasts deal with the rain.

bogino
    Participant

Been to Carribean side 3 times and loved it every time. Coahuita is nice but just a couple minutes south of Puerto Viejo is Playa Cocles…Punta UVA and some other small charming spots. A number of very nice bungalow style hotels and I’ve also stayed in a very nice vacation rental there too. Very laid back and mellow there. Some good little restaurants and basic shopping in Puerto Viejo. Lifestyle there very different compared to the rest of CR but I like it a lot, rain or shine.

maravilla

thanks for the input. i like the rain, but by october i am ready for a break and besides i need a vacation, and i have a friend coming from california who needs to stay in my house so it all works out. i will put out some feelers for a cabina that will take all 4 of us. i’ve only been down there once. wasn’t overly impressed with PV but then i used to live in the Bahamas but PV did have its charm and yes, the restaurants were certainly better than what i’ve been to in the CV. and yes, rosie, Ruta 32 is still a nightmare and recently had a 1600 ton landslide that closed the road. the road itself wasn’t bad but the other problems are worrisome.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.