Where to buy pool tables in Costa Rica?

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Where to buy pool tables in Costa Rica?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    cindyc

Does anyone know where to buy an 8ft. pool table in CR plus accessories?

Andrew
    Keymaster

There is a place on the lower level of Plaza Itzkatsu in Escazu that sells pool tables.

Plaza Itzkatsu is opposite PriceSmart and the store is opposite the Outback Steakhouse restaurant and below Hooters.

Now that does not sound like Costa Rica ta all, does it?

Yuk!

Scott OLiver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

Alfred

Cindyc, Believe it or not, I sell these for a living in the US. I have not seen any stores in CR myself. I have a customer in The US that has a restaurant with a pool table in Santa Ana CR. He buys equipment for his pool table from me, when he is in the US. He says the prices in CR are high.
    If you need any professional advice before you purchase a pool table, I would be happy to give it to you. Our family has been in the business for 95 years.
    The most important thing is to get a slate bed pool table. On an 8ft. it should be 3/4″ minimun thickness. 1″ is better for the humid conditions in CR. Less likely to warp. Most probably the slate would be from Brazil.
    If you can get me a brand name, I could possibly be able to tell you some specifics about the manufacturer.
    Hope this helps.

cindyc

Thanks Scott; I do know where the Hooters is, mainly because when I saw it for the first time I was thinking my eyes were deceiving me. There couldn’t be a HOOTER’S in Costa Rica, could there? How did this happen?

Alfred, thanks for the information. I had a table growing up but have never bought one myself; so it helps. Ever think about shipping some down here?

Cindy

Alfred

Cindy, It’s good you had one growing up. It will most likely give you a better idea of what to look for in a pool table. I had the thought one time of possibly shipping tables down there, but the import tax would most likely cause the price to double. I had entertained the thought of maybe moving there and manufacturing them out of exotic woods. The labor intensive nature of the business just turned me off though. When we hopefully move there to retire, I think I would rather do something a bit less challenging. But one never knows what the future holds.
    Just a quick reminder about space. You will need a minimum 13’2″ X 16’10” room size to accomodate the 8 foot table with 57″ standard length cues. If you need any other help, feel free ask.
    Good luck, and let us know how your purchasing experience goes.

Al

rf2cr
    Participant

Cindy,
    If you go ahead with the purchase, could you possibly post how much the total cost was – we are also interested but knowing how much you spend might save us a trip from Lake Arenal down to SJ to look at prices. If it is a bad as I am afraid it is going to be we may stick with a croquet pitch in the front lawn!
    Thanks,
    Ruth

cindyc

Ruth,

I will be happy to let you know the prices whether I buy or not; I’m going to San Jose on Wednesday and will check it out. I did see a Sportcraft Lexington 7ft. table on the PriceSmart web site for about $1100 and change. The description says nothing about being a slate table, so I’m sure it’s not a high end table, but could be OK depending on what you’re looking for.

CC

cindyc

The prices on these tables run from $2600 to $5,000 or so; depending on the type of wood and style of the base. They are good quality, one inch slate. The price includes balls, triangle, 6 cues, a table brush, & chalk.

Alfred

Cindyc, If the tables are of solid wood, then the price seems to be reasonable. In fact they would be on par with US prices and not as high as I would have expected. I’m curious though if there is a brand name on any of the tables you looked at.

cindyc

Yes, they are wood and seemed to be reasonably priced to me. This company has been making them here in CR since 1957. You can look at their web site for more info.

http://www.billarespunis.co.cr

Alfred

Cindy, I believe you found a winner. I checked out their website and indeed the pool tables look like they are of excellent quality. The styles are unique and appear to be solidly built. They look in some cases to be over built by US standards, which is a good thing. Their choice of woods used for the environment there is perfect. The cloth they use (Granito) is one of the best in the world. I also noticed Artemis cushions being available. If it is an option, get them. They are made in Germany and are the finest in the world for accuracy. The slate is Italian, which has been the country of choice in the US for over 40 years. I’m not sure why they are not using Brazilian slate as we do now. The Brazilian is harder and cheaper, but the Italians have been at it for many more years than the Brazilians, so the slate will aassuredly be top notch.
    You would not go wrong with this manufacturer. Being native to CR is also a benefit for service, when you need it.
    Good luck on your purchase. I’m sure you wil be happy and satisfied. Thanks for providing me with the website.
    When we visit CR next time I will try to visit the factory to see how they do things down there.

cindyc

Alfred, thanks for all your input, I appreciate it! If you’re ever in the Quepos/Matapalo area, stop by for a game! Hopefully, I’ll have some practice by then.

Scott, thanks for the tip…..my driver paled when I said we were going to Hooters and was greatly relieved when he saw the final destination.

Alfred

Cindy, You’re very welcome. Thanks for the offer, but I bet you would most likely beat me. I’m like the shoemaker with holes in his own shoes. When you are around pool tables all day you really don’t seem to play all that much of it. I know this sounds strange, but we don’t even have one at home. I guess we’ll save that for retirement in CR, when we have enough time to enjoy playing.
    Well, have a great time playing and honing your skills. It will be wonderful to have that pool table with the onset of the rainy season. Just like the winter up here, a pool table can be a fun thing when you are spending more time indoors.
    Pura Vida!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.