Where to buy great egg laying chickens

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Where to buy great egg laying chickens

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

Anyone have a good source?
    I’m in Quepos, and would prefer not to have to go too far to get them.
    I’d rather not get chicks, they’re cute and all, but I don’t want to end up with any roosters, and I figure with chicks it’s a 50/50 kind of thing.
    Thanks for any info.

waggoner41

[quote=”pranaspakeywest”]Anyone have a good source?
    I’d rather not get chicks, they’re cute and all, but I don’t want to end up with any roosters, and I figure with chicks it’s a 50/50 kind of thing.
    Thanks for any info.[/quote]

Same here in Ciudad Colon. We’ve been looking for laying hens for over a month now without success.

costaricafinca
    Participant

We have always purchased chicks….and have never seen any layers advertised for sale.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Some friends got five “laying hen” chicks a few years ago. They were guaranteed to be hens and they were. And they laid more eggs than we all could absorb.

Then, when they had passed their egg laying prime, our friends replaced them with five more. This time, they got three banty hens who lay pidgeon-size eggs and two roosters.

The luck of the draw, I guess . . .

orcas0606
    Participant

About 6 mos. ago I bought 5 layers for 4000 ea. They were 19 wks old and began laying in 3 wks. They were de beaked and vaccinated and lay at about 95%. Haven’t missed a beat. They are not next door and you will have to go to Turrucares, Alajuela, no, not Turrubates near Orotina but not so far on the 27. From the Banco Nacional go about 1 km West, just past where the asphalt ends you will se a sign on the left that says “se vende huevos”, not there, the next house. The nice lady who lives there buys chicks and raises them to sell. You can buy as many as you want as long as they are not spoken for. Sorry I can’t find her card but if I do I will post her phone #. Good eating.

[quote=”pranaspakeywest”]Anyone have a good source?
    Thanks for any info.[/quote]

waggoner41

[quote=”costaricafinca”]We have always purchased chicks….and have never seen any layers advertised for sale.
    [/quote]

Did you get any layers out of them or did you only raise them for the table?

orcas0606
    Participant

The chicks are all layers and are also sexed. No roosters in the bunch. Prefer to buy my chicken. Rather not have to slaughter them.

[

quote=”waggoner41″][quote=”costaricafinca”]We have always purchased chicks….and have never seen any layers advertised for sale.
    [/quote]

Did you get any layers out of them or did you only raise them for the table?[/quote]

costaricafinca
    Participant

When we purchased egg layers, we got egg layers. And when we purchased meat chickens, this is what we got.

I guess we figured out the age old question, and so, the egg comes before the chicken.
    I asked the woman that we buy our organic eggs from, and she is bringing me chickens today from the place she gets the eggs.
    Sometimes the answer is right in front of you……happy solstice to you all…
    Any suggestions on end of the world/solstice names for the girls?

DavidCMurray
    Participant

A chicken and an egg are lying in bed. The chicken is smoking a cigarette. The egg is looking very frustrated.

[u]That[/u] is the answer to the age-old question.

camby

[quote=”costaricafinca”]We have always purchased chicks….and have never seen any layers advertised for sale.
    [/quote]

so, can you help this poster and say where you got them?

camby

[quote=”DavidCMurray”]A chicken and an egg are lying in bed. The chicken is smoking a cigarette. The egg is looking very frustrated.

[u]That[/u] is the answer to the age-old question.
    [/quote]

I could only give you 5 points, though it deserved more.

camby

[quote=”costaricafinca”]When we purchased egg layers, we got egg layers. And when we purchased meat chickens, this is what we got.[/quote]

that seems sensible, layers lay…..
    to the original post, any sources for the poster as to where to purchase? Would be good, as you always know what you talketh about.

orcas0606
    Participant

In Turrucares 1 km. West of the Banco Nacional Nuria Vasquez Zuñiga has all the layers you would want. Best to call first to see if she has available at the moment. Tel #s 8921 6113 & 2487 7998

[quote=”camby”][quote=”costaricafinca”]When we purchased egg layers, we got egg layers. And when we purchased meat chickens, this is what we got.[/quote]

that seems sensible, layers lay…..
    to the original post, any sources for the poster as to where to purchase? Would be good, as you always know what you talketh about.[/quote]

VictoriaLST

So, now we know where to get egg layers.

Now, can anyone tell me where to get a pool table (and have it delivered to Nuevo Arenal area)?

This is not known as topic “drift”, it is known as topic “tsunami”.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.