Where to begin looking?

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Where to begin looking?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    hhodesmd

In a country with so many attractive areas, HOW and WHERE do you begin to narrow your search to look for properties???? I am a 65y/o soon-to-be retired physician interested in easy access to shopping, high-speed internet, satellite tv, good roads, scenery, beach, and easy drive to international airport. We prefer a free-standing home with pool in gated community with caretaker nearby, and expat neighbors.
    Thanks for your suggestions.

jamesgoshen4

Doc…I think you begin by going down for at least 2 weeks and visiting areas around San Jose such as Escazu or San Antonio de Belen….close to airport but 2 hrs from beach. Visit Los Suenos at the beach…but 2 hrs from airport….although these are mostly large condos. Or visit the Liberia airport area in Guanacaste…..

vbcruiser

When my wife and I thought about retiring in CR we started at the Nicaragua border and hit every beach along the Pacific coast, all the way to the Panama border. We new we wanted to be near the beach and on the Pacific coast. We made our way to Tamarindo which wasn’t bad at that time and liked the area.

One day we went for a drive to Playa Grande as it was a beach we marked on the map, that we wanted to see. We have been to just about every nook and cranny in Costa Rica and at the end of every day we look at each other and say lets get back home.

My number one spot to live in CR is Palm Beach Estates, Playa Grande, hands down.

Ticobell

May I have the envelope please? And the answer is…….Atenas! Close to everything, especially after the new highway is completed. Contact Jeff Hickcox the real estate agent who specializes in the area; he’ll show you Hacienda Atenas, a gated community that may be perfect for you, and other areas as well.

dkt2u

Well, as you can see, beauty really is in the eye of the beholder. One of the great things about Costa Rica is that it really does have something for everyone. The first thing though that my wife and I tell people is, “It’s not for everybody”. Those that end up not making a go of it here and end up going back to where they came from do so I believe more as a result of thier own personal issues than not being able to find an area or environment here in Costa Rica that suits them. As small as this country is, you literally can find an environment, climate, cultural mix, etc. that fits almost everyone.

I think people would do themselves a great service if before making a move as big as one is when you move to a foreign country, to take time to reflect on who they really are, why they are looking at making such a move, and what their goals are once they make the move. Those are just three things of many that people should consider, but these are a great start. With so many options here in Costa Rica, knowing why you are considering making such a move is a great first step.

Then you can start narrowing down your choices. If you say you want access to beaches, does that mean 20 minutes, or 2 hours? Then ask yourself the same question about your other needs such as closeness to airport, shopping, culture, schools, etc. Narrow the time frame and distance on some of those things and that will help you narrow down your choices.

Personally we love our little village of Esterillos Oeste on the Pacific coast. We are within 2 hours of almost everything.

Orosi Riley

When moving in Costa Rica, buy climate. We have a small real estate, engineering/home design and home construction company in the Orosi Valley. Every day is 72° and every night is 60°. We have beautiful views and an active Northern American community. We have get togethers every month and we are very active in the local schools and re-foresting. Orosi is Heaven.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.