Where is Costa Rica headed?

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Where is Costa Rica headed?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    waggoner41

While we complain about the way taxes are created to finance the Costa Rican government we should be aware of impending peril to all of us.

While I do not agree with the tax system is set up here I can see that there is a definite need to finance the police authorities and revamp the judicial system and criminal laws. [url=http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/americas/for-costa-ricas-pura-vida-a-drug-war-test/2011/12/20/gIQARoW8NP_story.html?wpisrc=nl_headlines]For Central America’s pura vida state, a drug war test[/url] The drug element now making inroads into the country is contributing to a lawlessness never seen in Costa Rica.

The question that we all face is how the police and legal system is to be changed and paid for in order to provide a secure environment for all of us. One thing is obvious from the start, the criminal conviction rate in Costa Rica is abysmal. Depending on the type of crime, whether it be murder (61%), rape (90%) or robbery (97%), the non-conviction rates range down to 3%. [url=http://www.amcostarica.com/112911.htm] Financial cost of crimes placed at millions of dollars[/url]

Many of the expats living here are cloistered behind high walls, steel gates and barred windows ignoring the fact that these luxury communities containing either single-family homes, condos or both are in themselves a draw for the professional criminal element simply because of the plethora of electronic and luxury items available in the area.

There is no doubt that we have an obligation to contribute to the resolution of the problem. What is in question is how we should contribute.

[quote=”waggoner41″]While we complain about the way taxes are created to finance the Costa Rican government we should be aware of impending peril to all of us.

. . . there is a definite need to finance the police authorities and revamp the judicial system and criminal laws. [url=http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/americas/for-costa-ricas-pura-vida-a-drug-war-test/2011/12/20/gIQARoW8NP_story.html?wpisrc=nl_headlines. . . .[/quote]

It seems that many local people work under the table. They are paid daily for gardening, house cleaning, for instance. There appears to be no regularity. The gardeners seem to be Nicaraguans. My landlady is a Colombian and does not pay them from time to time, so I don’t see the same gardener more than two or three times. One came to me to ask for money to return to Nic. CR demands money to live and to enter. I gave him $50, knowing I’d never see it again. Another came crying that he would go to the Ministry of Labor in ALajuela. I didn’t see him again, so I have no idea what happened.
    As for the law. It is nothing like that in the States. My landlady sued me. She lost. We had eventually gotten before a judge in jeans who wrote an order, which my landlady has not obeyed. There appears to be NO contempt in CR. Might be my lawyer’s lack of know-how. Don’t know. Waste of time. Waste of money. As soon as I finish my latest book, I’ll write about the experience. [i]La Gringa y la Colombiana[/i]. I might do it as a dual-language book, if I can find a Spanish-speaking person to check Google’s translation. I learned lots of things of which expats should be made aware.
    CR is neither a 1st world country nor a 3d world country. Whether it is a 1-1/2 world or a 2-1/2 world country, I have not yet determined. I think a 2-1/2 world country filled with folks who think they are living in a 1-1/2 world country.
    With all that said, I like Ticans very much. They are friendly, hospitable, kind. I wish I were more fluent in Spanish. But the country itself is frustrating.

GEEGEE

HI Les,
    The question you ask is how?

Well, you need an honest Government that will pass on the taxes to finance these
    Police, roads, bridges, traffic lights, marked roads, lighted roads, cheaper electric, infrastructure.

MIND you that C.R. has 13 1/2% tax on about everything you purchase here. Lets not forget the 100% on

TV,Computers, Washer, Dryers, toasters, Cars, Motorcycles, liquior, beer, mayo, ketchup :).

C.R. CUSTOMS a huge duty on any itemin a container, shipped or mailed into the country etc, etc.

Each month I leave the airport now $28.00.
    Lets not forget the Government owns elect, ice, insurance, Companies. Where does all this money go? They charged us $1,800 to move a phone pole and it took them 3 1/2 months after we paid them. Income from many other sources they sell and export of C.R. natural resources.

Large Corps. that pay to do business here.

C.R. sells its electric to Panama. Panama pays about 1/2 or what we and the Ticos pay. Why? They sell Electric cheap to Panama and other countries and charge their own people/Ticos double for what they sell it for to other countries. This does not make sense.
    So, I ask you where is the improve infrastructure, new roads, trained police depts, court houses, new computers to
    expedite paper work ie. drivers license, medical exams,car registration etc.
    What IMPROVEMENTS ARE THEY MAKING WITH THE MONEY THEY COLLECT NOW. I am sure if we add up all the taxes. It is
    enough to run this small country. More than enough.
    Airport alone has to be hundreds of thousands a day. Are these taxes going back into the country to improve it? NO, NO, NO.

Lets also add all the pay offs the officials get to look the other way for the so called Falling new Freeway. What a disaster and many more pay offs.

IT is so corrupt that the money never gets into the government check books.

Have you ever asked yourself why are all the car dealerships owned by the same families??? Pay offs.

Please dont get me wrong I could be speaking about the USA. But my point is when are the Ticos/ and us Americans going to start to march and demand an honest government? We have the same GREED and pay outs in the USA…. at the cost of the tax payer.

Les, my thought is we do pay and we do contribute…. BUT the real question is WHO disperses it properly
    IF at ALL, so that this country and USA can improve????

We do pay into the system everyday with each item you purchase and service you receive.

Just like the USA.

gg.

[quote=”waggoner41″]While we complain about the way taxes are created to finance the Costa Rican government we should be aware of impending peril to all of us.

While I do not agree with the tax system is set up here I can see that there is a definite need to finance the police authorities and revamp the judicial system and criminal laws. [url=http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/americas/for-costa-ricas-pura-vida-a-drug-war-test/2011/12/20/gIQARoW8NP_story.html?wpisrc=nl_headlines]For Central America’s pura vida state, a drug war test[/url] The drug element now making inroads into the country is contributing to a lawlessness never seen in Costa Rica.

The question that we all face is how the police and legal system is to be changed and paid for in order to provide a secure environment for all of us. One thing is obvious from the start, the criminal conviction rate in Costa Rica is abysmal. Depending on the type of crime, whether it be murder (61%), rape (90%) or robbery (97%), the non-conviction rates range down to 3%. [url=http://www.amcostarica.com/112911.htm] Financial cost of crimes placed at millions of dollars[/url]

Many of the expats living here are cloistered behind high walls, steel gates and barred windows ignoring the fact that these luxury communities containing either single-family homes, condos or both are in themselves a draw for the professional criminal element simply because of the plethora of electronic and luxury items available in the area.

There is no doubt that we have an obligation to contribute to the resolution of the problem. What is in question is how we should contribute.[/quote]

smekuly

Gee Gee

I don’t understand the hate you have in your heart

just smile and say pura vida

everything is going to be fine and things are just wonderful.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

obviously its amusing wthat you add your observations when it seems fit.. 😀

ok all kidding aside

the answer is

INCOMPETENCE!!

as the costa rican goverment begin to realize the $$$$ windfall of aggressive taxation

you will begin to see taxes creep up in all areas of life here

they learn from the best grand daddy U.S.A.

mark my words

happy new year

[quote=”GEEGEE”]HI Les,

Well, you need an honest Government that will pass on the taxes to finance these
    Police, roads, bridges, traffic lights, marked roads, lighted roads, cheaper electric, infrastructure.

MIND you that C.R. has 13 1/2% tax on about everything you purchase here. Lets not forget the 100% on

TV,Computers, Washer, Dryers, toasters, Cars, Motorcycles, liquior, beer, mayo, ketchup :).

C.R. CUSTOMS a huge duty on any itemin a container, shipped or mailed into the country etc, etc.

Lets not forget the Government owns elect, ice, insurance, Companies. Where does all this money go? They charged us $1,800 to move a phone pole and it took them 3 1/2 months after we paid them. Income from many other sources they sell and export of C.R. natural resources.

C.R. sells its electric to Panama. Panama pays about 1/2 or what we and the Ticos pay. Why? They sell Electric cheap to Panama and other countries and charge their own people/Ticos double for what they sell it for to other countries. This does not make sense.
    So, I ask you where is the improve infrastructure, new roads, trained police depts, court houses, new computers to
    What IMPROVEMENTS ARE THEY MAKING WITH THE MONEY THEY COLLECT NOW. I am sure if we add up all the taxes. It is
    Airport alone has to be hundreds of thousands a day. Are these taxes going back into the country to improve it? NO, NO, NO.

Lets also add all the pay offs the officials get to look the other way for the so called Falling new Freeway. What a disaster and many more pay offs.

Have you ever asked yourself why are all the car dealerships owned by the same families??? Pay offs.

Please dont get me wrong I could be speaking about the USA. But my point is when are the Ticos/ and us Americans going to start to march and demand an honest government? We have the same GREED and pay outs in the USA…. at the cost of the tax payer.

Les, my thought is we do pay and we do contribute…. BUT the real question is WHO disperses it properly

We do pay into the system everyday with each item you purchase and service you receive.

Just like the USA.

gg.

There is no doubt that we have an obligation to contribute to the resolution of the problem. What is in question is how we should contribute.[/quote][/quote]

GEEGEE

I dont find you funny or entertaining anymore. Please if you want to be nasty write me in private. I find that FIT AND PROPER!.
    Thank you,

GG

[quote=”smekuly”]Gee Gee

ok all kidding aside

the answer is

INCOMPETENCE!!

as the costa rican goverment begin to realize the $$$$ windfall of aggressive taxation

mark my words

happy new year

[quote=”GEEGEE”]HI Les,

Just like the USA.

gg.

There is no doubt that we have an obligation to contribute to the resolution of the problem. What is in question is how we should contribute.[/quote][/quote][/quote]

smekuly

relax gee gee

its all good 😀

here’s to a healthy and prosperous 2012

[quote=”GEEGEE”]I dont find you funny or entertaining anymore. Please if you want to be nasty write me in private. I find that FIT AND PROPER!.
    Thank you,

GG

[quote=”smekuly”]Gee Gee

ok all kidding aside

the answer is

INCOMPETENCE!!

mark my words

happy new year

[quote=”GEEGEE”]HI Les,

Just like the USA.

gg.

There is no doubt that we have an obligation to contribute to the resolution of the problem. What is in question is how we should contribute.[/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote]

2bncr

Hey Geegee

Smekuly is trying to indicate that you need to adapt your personality to Costa Rica. That means like many Ticos you don’t take thing so seriously.

I like your analysis.

It’s correct. The money is there.

Now I will make a point I have made before and people always rush to shoot it down or compare it to the US by saying, “what you don’t think there are dishonest people in the US? Ha!” Same boring argument.

The bottom line here is the inherent ACCEPTANCE of dishonesty.

Am I saying there are dishonest people here. Yes!

Am I am saying that all Ticos are dishonest? No!

So let be perfectly clear so the many easily ruffled panties here are not quick to knot up.

In my opinion, per capita there are more dishonest actions here than in the US. My point is there is an overwhelming difference in how dishonesty is viewed and accepted here.

Dishonesty by others is accepted/tolerated much more so than in the US. Many Ticos just make a face or smile when they here of their neighbors dishonest actions. They don’t think less of them in general.

That is a fundamental cultural difference between the US and CR.

No I am not saying all Ticos are dishonest, and Ticos are not good people, and all the other words panty twisted posters here wish to put in my mouth.

It is obvious to me that the ACCEPTANCE of the dishonest BY THE HONEST PEOPLE here perpetuates dishonesty.

The biggest contribution to this is the lack of conviction for crime.

Here is a major reason that crime continues to soar.

Once you have been charged and are in the legal system and you think you will be convicted, you have a chance to pay your way out of jail.

Example: So you have committed fraud. At a reconciliation meeting, you can make a deal with the plaintiff/victim to pay him money to drop the criminal charges. In the US the district attorney may or may not chose to let you off by compensating the victim. Here it is routine.

So the offenders of white collar crime know that even if they are caught, they can pay their way out of jail before ever going there.

That is the kind of thinking that perpetuates crime.

Also the poorly educated attorneys.

There was a recent article about the lack of competence judges here and they gave a test to become a judge and there was something like 100 applicants and NONE passed the test. As I recall the highest score was like 70%.

That is how poor student/colleges are at learning and teaching.

The issue of how the government is going to protect the citizenry comes down to the value of honesty.

Ticos are cynical; they see the dishonest get away with literally murder so they do not value honesty as Americans do. Most Latin countries don’t.

I wish I didn’t have to say this and it relates to medical service here too and that is that Ticos cheat their way through school.

I know this personally.

They come out of university poorly educated.

One medical student stated to my acquaintance, “ I paid for my education. I deserve my diploma!”

Another one said after talking about cheating his way through pharmacy school that “After I graduate I am going to have to take a course so I know what I am doing.”

Can you belive it. This woman is going to spend over 4 years in college and she thinks she is going to “take a course” after graduating so she can understand what she has been supposedly studying for over 4 years.

Mind numbing? Yes.

Welcome to CR Geegee.

That is what smeky was trying to impart to you. If you don’t have an open mind and relax about how things are here, you won’t last.

Bottom line is cheating and dishonesty is tolerated here in a way that Americans cannot understand.

Every time you see a person with a degree here, let me tell you many times it means virtually nothing. You better look at results which defines competency rather than credentials.

The second bottom line is it is cultural. Accepting dishonesty by others and taking very little seriously here are the building blocks of Costa Rica dysfunction.

Living in Costa Rica is like having a spouse with a borderline personality disorder. The highs are high. But most of the time the relationship is dysfunctional.

That is why I say do not if you don’t have too, trust professionals here. That means doctors, pharmascits, attorneys, etc.

2bncr

To answer the question “where is Costa Rica headed” in regards to safety from organized crime.

If the government get heavily in bed with the US and tries to fight the cartels then we are in serious trouble, the expats well leave, as the assassination become blatant. The poor Costa Ricans will suffer like the Mexicans, as they cannot leave.

Do you realize how close we are to Colombia?

They have to make a deal with the drug lords and get some payoff that will enrich the politicos. And ironically keep the citizenry safe.

The Mexico model has failed miserably.

45,000 dead since what 2006?

Prohibition of drugs is obviously serving someone besides the drug producers and salesmen.

Prohibition of Alcohol did not work.

Drugs are available so what is the difference if they are prohibited or not?

Both ways, legal or illegal, they are available.

There is a military industrial complex that make huge sums of money providing support for war and the military.

The industrial military complex has a counterpart it’s called medical law enforcement complex. Somehow in some way there is big money being made in support of the illegality of certain drugs.

I know no one on this forum ever gives a straight answer to one of my questions but;

What would change if drugs were legalized?

My perceptive is the same thing would happen when alcohol was legalized after prohibition.

The black market went away. Jobs with taxpaying employees were created. Sales tax and income taxes were collected from now legal enterprises.

It stupid not to legalize drugs but obviously it’s not stupid to some of the people in the powers that be to keep drugs illegal.

The US is the problem and the money spent fighting the drug war is making the ultra corrupt US politicians and lobbyist rich.

Mexicans are being slaughtered and decapitated and it will happen here too if the politicians do not play ball and do what they do best – speak out of both sides of their mouths.

GEEGEE

Thank you 2bncr,
    My family and I have been coming here since the 50’s. We have been in court for land squatters for 8 years.
    I agree with you on the courts and lawyers.
    I have some experience of the law system or should I say the lack of.

I also have lived in Mexico, D.R. and Egypt. I do know how to adjust, but some things are not acceptable to adjust to for ME.

I cant make judgment to what your level of tolerance is. I only know mine.

It is remarkable how much mediocrity we live with, surrounding ourselves with the daily reminder that the average, or lies, or dishonest is acceptable. I believe our world suffers from terminal Normality. It limits us and the governments.

Look how desensitized we have become with the GREED, Crimes of Wall Street and our own Officials, Pres. “0” included.
    The TICO’S are the same… they dont question or ask they relax and follow any stupid rule, taxes or law passed.

We keep saying OH, this is bad and next week it is worse and then it becomes, OK, it is NORMAL.

Everyone is doing it so it must mean it is OK.

WRONG.. THINKING as far as it is my concern, and on the path to destruction of family, home and our governments.

I concurred with most that you have said. I dont know that I can relax with dishonest, thieves, crime and stupidity. I take my life, family, government and neighborhood serious.

This is not a rehearsal. This is an opportunity to make or be a part of change even in our government in the USA. Education and sharing your knowledge, just might open
    someone’s eyes and mind. Even if it is one person, it is contagious and it might take a year or years to see the ripple effects. It is my right and choice to continue to keep trying. I am not out to be a Malcom X or Mahatma Gandhi, but I like their thinking.

I cant tolerate or change things I dont believe in.
    gg

[quote=”2bncr”]Hey Geegee

Smekuly is trying to indicate that you need to adapt your personality to Costa Rica. That means like many Ticos you don’t take thing so seriously.

I like your analysis.

It’s correct. The money is there.

Now I will make a point I have made before and people always rush to shoot it down or compare it to the US by saying, “what you don’t think there are dishonest people in the US? Ha!” Same boring argument.

The bottom line here is the inherent ACCEPTANCE of dishonesty.

Am I saying there are dishonest people here. Yes!

Am I am saying that all Ticos are dishonest? No!

So let be perfectly clear so the many easily ruffled panties here are not quick to knot up.

In my opinion, per capita there are more dishonest actions here than in the US. My point is there is an overwhelming difference in how dishonesty is viewed and accepted here.

Dishonesty by others is accepted/tolerated much more so than in the US. Many Ticos just make a face or smile when they here of their neighbors dishonest actions. They don’t think less of them in general.

That is a fundamental cultural difference between the US and CR.

No I am not saying all Ticos are dishonest, and Ticos are not good people, and all the other words panty twisted posters here wish to put in my mouth.

It is obvious to me that the ACCEPTANCE of the dishonest BY THE HONEST PEOPLE here perpetuates dishonesty.

The biggest contribution to this is the lack of conviction for crime.

Here is a major reason that crime continues to soar.

Once you have been charged and are in the legal system and you think you will be convicted, you have a chance to pay your way out of jail.

Example: So you have committed fraud. At a reconciliation meeting, you can make a deal with the plaintiff/victim to pay him money to drop the criminal charges. In the US the district attorney may or may not chose to let you off by compensating the victim. Here it is routine.

So the offenders of white collar crime know that even if they are caught, they can pay their way out of jail before ever going there.

That is the kind of thinking that perpetuates crime.

Also the poorly educated attorneys.

There was a recent article about the lack of competence judges here and they gave a test to become a judge and there was something like 100 applicants and NONE passed the test. As I recall the highest score was like 70%.

That is how poor student/colleges are at learning and teaching.

The issue of how the government is going to protect the citizenry comes down to the value of honesty.

Ticos are cynical; they see the dishonest get away with literally murder so they do not value honesty as Americans do. Most Latin countries don’t.

I wish I didn’t have to say this and it relates to medical service here too and that is that Ticos cheat their way through school.

I know this personally.

They come out of university poorly educated.

One medical student stated to my acquaintance, “ I paid for my education. I deserve my diploma!”

Another one said after talking about cheating his way through pharmacy school that “After I graduate I am going to have to take a course so I know what I am doing.”

Can you belive it. This woman is going to spend over 4 years in college and she thinks she is going to “take a course” after graduating so she can understand what she has been supposedly studying for over 4 years.

Mind numbing? Yes.

Welcome to CR Geegee.

That is what smeky was trying to impart to you. If you don’t have an open mind and relax about how things are here, you won’t last.

Bottom line is cheating and dishonesty is tolerated here in a way that Americans cannot understand.

Every time you see a person with a degree here, let me tell you many times it means virtually nothing. You better look at results which defines competency rather than credentials.

The second bottom line is it is cultural. Accepting dishonesty by others and taking very little seriously here are the building blocks of Costa Rica dysfunction.

Living in Costa Rica is like having a spouse with a borderline personality disorder. The highs are high. But most of the time the relationship is dysfunctional.

That is why I say do not if you don’t have too, trust professionals here. That means doctors, pharmascits, attorneys, etc.[/quote]

2bncr

I resonate with your stance 100%

However the word tolerate may have a different meanings to you then me.

To keep living here without serious stress you have to tolerate the status quo.

yes its different but I have accepted much of the status quo.

Its the reality we live, yes it can and will change, but to argue that things are not as they are is to lose the argument only 100% of the time.

No I do not perpetuate the ignorance, but I tolerate it.

No other way,.

Also you have to accept things before you can identify a strategy, adjust yourself to adapt to your challenge. Denial is terminal / Acceptance is crucial.

Condoning and accepting are two different things.

Besos

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.