Where Do You Live in CR and Why?

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Where Do You Live in CR and Why?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    juliebarnett

My husband and I want to come down for a 3 months stay Jan – March, 2015. We have never been to CR. [i][b]We would love to hear why you chose the place where you reside and what you love about it.[/b][/i] We love city for conveniences, we love beaches for the beauty, but no nothing about either. Our budget is $2500 per month to include rent, utilities, food, outings, car, if needed, etc. Can’t wait to get some answers. Julie

twister

[quote=”juliebarnett”]My husband and I want to come down for a 3 months stay Jan – March, 2015. We have never been to CR. [i][b]We would love to hear why you chose the place where you reside and what you love about it.[/b][/i] We love city for conveniences, we love beaches for the beauty, but no nothing about either. Our budget is $2500 per month to include rent, utilities, food, outings, car, if needed, etc. Can’t wait to get some answers. Julie[/quote]In the Southern part in Quepos/Manuel Antonio.We like the area for the beach,marina and close to the National Park.We have a condo only 1/2 mile from beach.

[quote=”juliebarnett”]My husband and I want to come down for a 3 months stay Jan – March, 2015. We have never been to CR. [i][b]We would love to hear why you chose the place where you reside and what you love about it.[/b][/i] We love city for conveniences, we love beaches for the beauty, but no nothing about either. Our budget is $2500 per month to include rent, utilities, food, outings, car, if needed, etc. Can’t wait to get some answers. Julie[/quote]

Lake Arenal since 1995 and still loving it 😀 no need or desire for city (pollution, noise) or beach (heat heat heat). Both can be reached quite fast if necessary.

rf2cr
    Participant

We settled in the Lake Arenal area after 5 trips exploring various areas in the country. Reason, climate (no a/c nor heating required), beauty, and wonderful community of both expats and Ticos, lack of city traffic (the ocassional herd of cattle in the road are a nuisance) and repeat – great people!

costaricafinca
    Participant

We are in the interior of Guanacaste and we currently rent a home in a small rural gated community, the gate being there to keep the escaped horses, in. While we really like the property we wouldn’t buy it for a variety of different reasons.
    Take your time to find the place that suits [i]you[/i]…and not what suits someone else.

VictoriaLST

We came down in 2012 to look at a home in Jaco Beach. Result? Too hot, too humid, electric cost of $500 a month, the metal railings on homes 3 years old was already rusting due to the salt air. And too dang many tourists raising the prices of everything.

We drove up to Nuevo Arenal to see some property with a Realtor. After a total of 7 hours looking around, we bought a house. Electric about $90 a month, water $9, no heating, no A/C. Not much of a lake view, but enough. 11 acres of land, main house and caretaker’s home. Temps 65 to 85 year round. Huge expat community with lots of activities. Friendly neighbors. Group breakfasts twice a week. Stop in for a drink on our deck and have a long chat.

lvc1028

Stop in for a drink on our deck and have a long chat.[/quote]

Be careful, Miss V will offer to take you on a hike–more of a death march! hahaha.

We bought land in Lake Arenal after visiting it only one time…we had been up and down the west coast down to the tip of the Osa over 6 years and, while I love all of CR, the southern zone is very hot and humid and, therefore, expensive to run a/c year round. Lake Arenal (outside of Nuevo Arenal) is very beautiful, far less touristy, has many Americans and is just a very friendly place. It’s very livable, too…has everything you need and is less than 2 hours to the beach and to the airport in Liberia. It’s just beautiful. I can’t wait to one day build down there!

VictoriaLST

Aw come on, lvc, the hike wasn’t that bad.:) And the drinks were terrific.

lyncota
    Participant

We’ve been visiting our property in Cahuita regularly and for extended stays for the past 6 years. We love the Caribbean side of CR. It’s culturally different from the rest of the country, has fewer expats from the US, a very relaxed vibe. Very lush with no dry/rainy season. Retiring in 2015. Can’t wait!

Imxploring
    Participant

Another vote for the Lake Arenal area. All the same reasons listed above…. plus… the best pizza in all of Costa Rica! Try Moya’s Place on the corner across from the gas station. Great food, location, and people. The whole town (be it very small) is wonderful.

The views are fantastic and the lake is a big plus. You need to understand that the reason the area is so green and lush is because we get rain. Once you get that clear in your mind the many positives outweigh the wet stuff that falls.

lvc1028

[quote=”Imxploring”]Another vote for the Lake Arenal area. All the same reasons listed above…. plus… the best pizza in all of Costa Rica! Try Moya’s Place on the corner across from the gas station. Great food, location, and people. The whole town (be it very small) is wonderful.

The views are fantastic and the lake is a big plus. You need to understand that the reason the area is so green and lush is because we get rain. Once you get that clear in your mind the many positives outweigh the wet stuff that falls.[/quote]

I think the Lake Arenal-ers have hijacked this thread. Yes, the pizza is great, but my favorite is their chicken with vegs and rosemary potatoes. As far as rain…yes, it comes down fast and furious…but there is also lots of sun, too. It’s funny, it can rain a quick 3″ and then dry up so quickly. The best investment I made was a $25 pair of tall rubber boots from Walmart! hahaha. To me, every place in CR has pluses and minuses…you just have to figure out what your priorities/requirements are and go from there. Mine were temperate climate, a more economical place to live, beautiful scenery (volcano and lake views), proximity to a town with various services, nice expat community, nice locals and, finally, close enough to a beach as well as airport.

Try to learn some Spanish if you don’t know any and get to know your local neighbors. It’s nice to interact plus helps you practice your Spanish and they’ll appreciate the effort the Gringo is making.

Imxploring
    Participant

Perhaps we’re screwing ourselves by letting the secret out. Forget everything I said…. Jaco is the place to be… trust me you’ll love it! 😉 LOL

sunnytom

Dallas today 35F and windy, skin dry, and bad allergy problem. I will take anything in Costa Rica at this point.Lol

Andrew
    Keymaster

Well it’s not all perfect hear you know… I very nearly put on a shirt this morning but it’s about 84 degrees now in Santa Ana so I’m OK.

[img]https://www.welovecostarica.com/public/images/Santa_Ana_Weather.jpg[/img]

Andrew
    Keymaster

Con mucho gusto …..

Scott

PS. I’m going to the swimming pool for an hour…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.