Where are All the ex-Canadians Living

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Where are All the ex-Canadians Living

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    jpgr66

We had our family trip to CR along with another family and it was nothing short of amazing. We have never been more serious about anything, we want to move to CR but still my biggest hurdle is the education for my 2 daughters who are in their last year of primary and getting ready for the big jump to High School. I am also looking to correspond with other Canadians or Americans that have moved to CR and have kids in the same position as I do.

maravilla

unless you put your children in a private bi-lingual school, which is very expensive, they will have many hurdles in the public system, the least of which will be the language barrier. i have a friend who moved here with her ten-year-old daughter 7 years ago. she went to private school initially, but then transferred to a public school and had nothing but problems — the language, the attitudes, the bullying. she eventually dropped out in her last year of high school. coming here on vacation and living here are two entirely different worlds. people get sucked in on vacation and think that life here will be just like that, but it is anything but. i’ve heard some success stories about children making the transition, and i’ve also heard horror stories so be very careful about making this decision. one of the big problems my friend’s daughter had was that whenever she invited Tico kids to her house they were amazed at all the gadgets she had and it wasn’t long before their house was robbed and all those toys, gizmos, game boys, x-boxes, etc. were stolen.

jpgr66

Thx for the comments maravilla. We have now been 4 times but only as a family once. It is the biggest decision as a family we will ever have to make by far so appreciating all comments a feedback recv’d.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

The two most compelling questions you must answer for yourselves are (1)will you qualify for legal residency, and (2)how will you support yourselves?

Costa Rican law provides limited opportunities for expats to become legal residents who can remain in the country for extended (unlimited) periods of time. Some folks have been getting away with “perpetual tourism” where they exit the country every ninety days and qualify for a new tourist visa upon re-entry. Costa Rican Immigration is, however, tightening the noose on those folks. Some (according to anecdotal reports, more all the time) are being questioned about their plans to apply for residency or are being given much shorter visas. A tourist visa is a privilege, not a legal right, which could be withdrawn at any time and without notice. Then what?

What’s more, the law is clear that no person who is not either a citizen, a permanent resident ([b]not[/b] a temporary [i]pensionado[/i]or [i]rentista[/i]) or the holder of a work permit (which will not be easy to come by) may work at any job which a Costa Rican could perform. Working illegally leaves you open to immediate deportation, if apprehended. This proscription against employment extends even to doing work in a business you own, although some folks do appear to support themselves by working over the Internet.

You should also be aware that wages in Costa Rica are ridiculously low as compared to those in North America. While in many respects the cost of living is less, as maravilla has already pointed out education for your children will be expensive and replicating your current lifestyle will not come cheaply.

Pauldthomas

Scott,
    I posted a reply about schools. Where did it go????
    Thanks D Thomas

jpgr66

Thx David, all the legal is being looked after, the $$ not a concern at this time.

Andrew
    Keymaster

[quote=”Pauldthomas”]Scott,
    I posted a reply about schools. Where did it go????
    Thanks D Thomas[/quote]

I have no idea… Another Moderator may have edited it but I have not edited anything.

costaricafinca
    Participant

As a Canadian I would advise you to come for an extended stay, at least three months with your daughters, then make the decision, whether or not, to move.
    Personally, I wouldn’t make the move with kids in that age group, since it is hard making an adjustment to another school, period. So, when a language barrier is in place, life will get harder, for all of you.

Doug Ward

[quote=”costaricafinca”]As a Canadian I would advise you to come for an extended stay, at least three months with your daughters, then make the decision, whether or not, to move.
    Personally, I wouldn’t make the move with kids in that age group, since it is hard making an adjustment to another school, period. So, when a language barrier is in place, life will get harder, for all of you.[/quote]
    Home school. Your kids already probably have twice as much knowledge as their new babysi…I mean teacher will have.

costaricafinca
    Participant

Home schooling is illegal here.

Pauldthomas

[quote=”costaricafinca”]Home schooling is illegal here.[/quote] What is your definition of illegal in Costa Rica? Please explain.
    Thanks,
    D Thomas

maravilla

illegal here means the same as it does in any other country. it is not allowed to homeschool your children. and if your children are enrolled in a public school, there is no opt-out plan for avoiding vaccinations; your children will be taken away from you if they are not properly vaccinated and forcibly vaccinated. just so you know. . .

jpgr66

Thx all for the comments, please keep them coming.

Pauldthomas

[quote=”jpgr66″]Thx all for the comments, please keep them coming.[/quote]
    I researched the illegal part of homeschooling your children and it only applies to the tico children. Children that move into Costa Rica can be home schooled. It is very important to have your children all current on their shots!It would be also very good for your children to go to the local schools to learn the language and learn their culture and make friends.
    D. Thomas

costaricafinca
    Participant

I wasn’t going to post any more on this issue but this does [b]not[/b] only apply to [i]Tico[/i] children. I know personally, people who had major problems with this issue and had to place their 4 children in the public school system. I also know, that the ‘rule’ was a part of a certain real estate agents decision to ‘relocate elsewhere’.
    There was a link to a blog in Sept regarding a family that was in court, on another forum, but this also focused on current immunizations.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.