What information is missing from this site?

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum What information is missing from this site?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Andrew
    Keymaster

1. Please let me know WHAT INFORMATION IS MISSING from WeLoveCostaRica.com – What do you need to be reading about that you cannot find?

2. What sections need to be exanded on?

3. What short videos would you love to see?

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Since this site caters in significant measure to folks headed to Costa Rica or newly arrived, it might be useful to develop a professional directory (physicians, hospitals, accountants, attorneys, builders,etc), and a shopping directory.

Having built two houses, I can attest to the difficulty we’ve had locating good selections of tile, electrical and plumbing fixtures, furniture, etc. In the forum discussions, folks have asked where they can get something and often get useful answers, but it would be wonderful if that information could be organized so that if, say, I were in Limon and looking for tile and somebody had already pointed to a source, it would be in a listing separate from the discussion items.

It might also be good to include information on such matters as where to look for car, homeowners’, and health insurance, where and how to get a driver’s license, etc.

GreciaBound

Scott,

The post recently about market food prices was very useful. I wonder if a listing of homebuilding material sources would be useful. Homebuilding is one of the biggest challenges, as a foreigner moving to Costa Rica.

David is right, there are few places in the Central Valley, known mostly by word of mouth. For example, other than the local ferreterias, are there other specialty stores, such as the Home Depot or Lowes here in the USA, that can be identified with categories of homebuilding products at competitive prices.

Thanks, GreciaBound ’08

Peg

Scott,
    I agree with David. Since some people will be moving there and not be shipping their household goods, a Directory which includes major appliances, furniture, and other household goods, that you would need right away to set up your home would be very helpful. Maybe organized by provinciales.
    Also Scott, are you no longer e-mailing newsletters, or is it just because of spring break. I haven’t received one since 3/17/07. I miss getting them every 4 or 5 days.
    Thanks Scott for all that you do for all of us CR lovers.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Thank you Peg…

My newsletter has gone out every single week (minimum one newsletter per week) without exception since the site began

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

bbianchi

I agree with David and Peg.
    Perhaps we could also list the names of some good recommend enterprises and workers that helped built the home of some of the ‘ we Love C.R. ‘ site members. They could be listed by expertise and rate ( 1 to 5)on their quality / price.

What to you think ?

Thanks Scott

Bruns
    CND

pweisel

Hi Scott,

More info/strategies on how to legally generate income (other than via pensions or pre-existing investments) while in CR would be helpful. Perhaps “how I generate income from abroad” or “how to legally run a tourist biz” articles. Links to the related residency rules, etc.

I know if one digs far enough, one can find a partial answers to these questions (and many others), via both articles and posts. This site has produced a such a wealth of information over the years – often the answers are already here. It is searchable, which is helpful when you know what you or looking for.

Some kind of directory of relevant search terms might point people in the right direction sooner, and expose people to topics they had not thought to inquire about (yet).

*Lotus

The way you rate/work with approved developers, a similar system for local builders would be great.

Peg

Thanks Scott for your reply

I have been getting newsletters since November of 2005, but they just stopped coming. The last one I received was March 17th. I haven’t changed anything, I don’t understand it.

awilson1333

Hi there,

I think the organization into various areas for folks moving into areas other than San Jose is a great idea. Another idea that I think would be beneficial is to allow members to submit ratings for service providers, shops, restaurants, builders, real estate brokers based on their own experience, that way people can read the ratings and decide for themselves. Not sure what it would take to set something like that up but it would create more of a self service environment on the web site and perhaps reduce duplicate posts / questions.

Anna

gg

I agree with all those above, too. It would be particularly helpful if there was more input to the other areas of CR….such as Caribbean coastal towns, Osa Peninsula areas and Guanacaste areas. The info being posted is usually very helpful and it does make a difference to hear about experiences of others and then travel and experience for yourself.
    The directory is an excellent idea for those who are moving down.
    Gee Gee

I agree with David that it would be great to have a database containing the directories he describes. Currently I put anyone recommended on this site into either Outlook contacts (I just did the Maid Broker message), or in a Word document that I call “notes from welovecostarica.doc.” Sometimes you guys come forth with tidbits or experiences that I think I should hold onto for future reference.

Thanks for those tidbits everyone!

Tom in Portland

jmhardy

As someone who is planning to move to Costa Rica next year, the fact that most of your articles don’t have dates on them is frustrating. It would really be nice to know how old some of these articles are, and although I know most if not all are from the past 24 months or so, that’s a long time in Tico-land. I’m not sure whether this is by design, to keep the appearance of “fresh” content or just an oversight, but even a year (2006,2007, etc.) would be helpful…

apexit

one

Edited on Apr 15, 2007 18:47

alexgil

I agree, we just bought a farm 2 hrs from San Jose and are now starting to look for an architect and sourcing building supplies, qualified quality electricians and so forth in addition to pricing furniture and kitchen appliances to get an idea of costs. As I’m new to Costa Rica we don’t really know where to start so such a directory would be amazingly helpful. All those speciality or US style shops would be great resources and a refreshing change from the local “el colono”!
    Alex

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.