What happened to Randy Berg CR-Home

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum What happened to Randy Berg CR-Home

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    2bncr

Did he leave CR? No more web site. Anyone know?

Andrew
    Keymaster

Randy and his wife returned to the U.S. a few years back.

VictoriaT

They left after taking money from investors and not completing projects.

wblust
    Participant

very disappointing

Andrew
    Keymaster

[quote=”VictoriaT”]They left after taking money from investors and not completing projects.[/quote]

Do you have any written proof of this?

Scott

Imxploring
    Participant

Not sure where that info came or if it’s in fact true. I think he managed to sell the business to a new couple who I doubt would have taken over if there were unresolved financial issues. From what I seem to remember he did have some problems when he was closing up shop with some of his employees making demands. I know of a couple of builders/business owners that have had similar problems when closing up a business here and moving back to the states. Not sure how that was resolved but as we know the employment laws in CR can be a real minefield.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Do you have any written proof of this please VictoriaT?

If you have, please publish it here or forward it to me. If there was wrongdoing, you can show that here, otherwise it’s a little unfair to accuse them of something that we cannot verify.

If there is no written evidence then this thread will have to be deleted.

Scott

Andrew
    Keymaster

Just saw this…

[url=http://www.bankrate.com/finance/retirement/retiring-abroad-horror-stories-2.aspx]Retiring abroad horror stories: It may not be the dream you expect[/url]

Terrible–a corrupt official presses him to leave. But for the average retiree, not trying to do business there, not so rough?

costaricafinca
    Participant

[url=http://amcostarica.com/thursday.htm]Read this article on amcostarica[/url]
    [i]
    “The Sala IV preliminary ruling froze an effort by the Municipalidad de Talamanca to hold a hearing Wednesday afternoon on expat residents Carol Meeds and Philippe Vangoidsenhoven.

As the Sala IV sardonically notes in the Tuesday decision, the pair are accused by the municipality of being environmentalists. The court noted that the municipal council has been trying to declare the pair personas non gratas but that there have been no administrative or jurisdictional procedures to show that they have done anything wrong”.
    [/i]
    Complete article on the link provided.

While this is an unusual case, it is well known that municipal employees have been known ‘request a payment of funds’ to let projects obtain the ‘red light’ to proceed…or stop it on it’s tracks.

VictoriaT

[quote=”Scott”]Do you have any written proof of this please VictoriaT?

If you have, please publish it here or forward it to me. If there was wrongdoing, you can show that here, otherwise it’s a little unfair to accuse them of something that we cannot verify.

If there is no written evidence then this thread will have to be deleted.

Scott
    [/quote]

Yes, I have written proof. I invested in a beach area project. One or two houses were completed and then building stopped while Randy built himself a new larger home in CR. Needless to say, the beach project was never completed. I read the article where Randy cried about a corrupt official – don’t believe a word of it. Randy was here for quite a while and even told us he occasionally “greased the wheels” to get projects moving. I learned my lesson.

Imxploring
    Participant

The problem is when you grease the wheels they keep coming back for more and more grease… just like the mob…. eventually you can’t keep your business running because there are too many hands in your pockets. His story might have been a convenient way to explain why he walked away. He seemed to be one of the better developers. Reasonable plans, simple homes, taking on projects that had the potential to be completed. It looked as if he was doing everything the right way!!! Sorry to see him go.

I seem to remember that at the time there was word of a health issue or other problem that he and his wife were dealing with and were only returning to the US temporarily. Apparently his employees and workers got wind that he was really closing up shop and were making demands for additional compensation. I think he also had a Costa Rican son-in-law involved in the business…. not sure how that worked out.

I guess we may never know the whole story…. but thanks Victoria for sharing your FIRST hand knowledge of the issue.

davidd

NEVER EVER do business here in Costa rica

This s a wonderful country to live and raise a family BUT do NOT do business here

This country is as corrupt as any other latin country

If you have to do business here.. use the internet

BTW I had a few brick and mortar business here and at its peak had 30 employee’s.

dbserv

We also had dealings with CR Homes. And Yes, Scott, we have every damning e-mail to and from. But it’s all moot. 😕

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.