What documents are required for permanent residency

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum What documents are required for permanent residency

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    waggoner41

I am about to renew my residency after 6 1/2 years as residente temporal.

What documents will I be required to present to Migracion to make the move?

Imxploring
    Participant

[quote=”waggoner41″]I am about to renew my residency after 6 1/2 years as residente temporal.

What documents will I be required to present to Migracion to make the move?[/quote]

Hey Les…. I think part of it depends on the temporary status you’ve been using. Some of the rules have also changed since you originally applied. Besides the basic stuff required for anyone applying for permanent status I believe there are some requirements that differ between the three temporary residency options. There are two or three good threads over on ARCR detailing the steps and missteps some folks have taken while converting. Check them out. And as always the experiences and requirements that each person faced sometimes differed from one office or reviewer to the next. Best of luck.

costaricafinca
    Participant

If your [i]cedula[/i] is about to expire, you may have renew your Temporary status first as the change to Permanent Residency is presently taking approx a year.

You must make your application at the Immigration facility of your choice and present it along with your present [i]cedula,[/i] copies of your utility bill and an ‘up-to-date’ receipt from CAJA.
    When you make the required payment, and if both you and your wife are applying, each transaction must be made separately, showing your name, else they will send you back to the bank.
    Once approved, you will have to produce your [i]cedula[/i], another CAJA receipt, get the photo taken and fingerprints scanned.
    Simple to do by yourself, as long as you have basic Spanish.

jreeves

I think there is also a basic letter that states your request (status change from temporary to permanent resident) that you need to submit along with the documents that costaricafinca outlined. We used an ARCR-affiliated attorney to handle our status change from rentista to permanent residents (though we lined her up on our own, not through ARCR). When she was setting up the packet to bring to Immigration, she plugged in our info & then printed off the letter to include. We applied back in 2009, though, so perhaps this is no longer required? The ARCR forum does have up-to-date threads on what you need to do.

Jessica

waggoner41

[quote=”Imxploring”][quote=”waggoner41″]I am about to renew my residency after 6 1/2 years as residente temporal.

What documents will I be required to present to Migracion to make the move?[/quote]

Hey Les…. I think part of it depends on the temporary status you’ve been using. Some of the rules have also changed since you originally applied. Besides the basic stuff required for anyone applying for permanent status I believe there are some requirements that differ between the three temporary residency options. There are two or three good threads over on ARCR detailing the steps and missteps some folks have taken while converting. Check them out. And as always the experiences and requirements that each person faced sometimes differed from one office or reviewer to the next. Best of luck.[/quote]

The status I have been using is as a pensionado but it seemed to make little difference.

Remarkably easy to do at Migracion in Uruca.
    Told the guard I wanted to renew and went to the head of the line as an anciano.
    The first thing I did was present my request for a change to Residente Permanente and she sent me to the platforma.
    The guard at the platforma sent me to window #10 (Ancianos).
    I presented my Cedula and my request, he looked me up in the system and gave me a note to BCR that I owed $200. Paid the $200 and returned with the receipt. I was then given an expediente noting that I had filled all requirements and told to return in three months to see if they had my Cedula permanente.

[b]Now we’ll see how long it takes to get the residency card (Cedula).[/b]

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.