What are your experiences of moving bank accounts from U.S. to C.R.?

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum What are your experiences of moving bank accounts from U.S. to C.R.?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

My tica wife and I are hoping to move to Costa Rica in 2014 (Probably to Perez Zeledon).

Please share your experiences, difficulties, suggestions on moving bank accounts from the U. S. to C.R.

I don’t know if our bank here could send the money directly to a bank in Costa Rica. Thanks for your help.

barbara ann

I have heard that you have to have residency to open a bank account herein costa rica. I don’t know if the changes are still there. used to be able to open an account with your passport, but costa rica stopped allowing bank accounts and drivers licenses. Opening an account was never easy. there is a checklist that tells you the items you need

Andrew
    Keymaster

I am not sure what you mean by “moving bank accounts.”

When you move to Costa Rica you will of course have to open a new bank account(s) one in dollars and perhaps one ion colones – which shouldn’t be too much of a problem if your wife is a Tica – and yes!

There should be no reason why you should not be able to transfer money from your U.S. bank account to your Costa Rica dollar account once the new account is active…

Scott

barbara ann

scott, is it true that you cannot open a bank account or obtain a drivers license without residency if you are a foreigner

Andrew
    Keymaster

Opening a bank accounts seems to depend on the bank and sometimes even on the branch but it is doable…

I have not followed the driving license thing but I believe that’s true … Bloody silly and true….

Scott

costaricafinca
    Participant

You reset your home drivers license by exiting CR when you leave to renew your visa. Once you have a [i]cedula[/i] and your visa stamp has expired 🙄 you can apply for a CR DL

waggoner41

[quote=”jmartinson3730″]My tica wife and I are hoping to move to Costa Rica in 2014 (Probably to Perez Zeledon).

Please share your experiences, difficulties, suggestions on moving bank accounts from the U. S. to C.R.

I don’t know if our bank here could send the money directly to a bank in Costa Rica. Thanks for your help.[/quote]

We never bothered to transfer our accounts to Costa Rica because of the services provided by our U.S. bank. They have been selected as 2013 the bank with the best reputation by the American Banker Magazine.

artfulgal

[quote]We never bothered to transfer our accounts to Costa Rica because of the services provided by our U.S. bank. They have been selected as 2013 the bank with the best reputation by the American Banker Magazine.[/quote]

What US bank are you using?

I am still trying to figure out how to have my pension check deposited in CR without incurring exhorbatant transer fees.

The best I can come up with is to have it deposited in my US account and then just write a check on that account and deposit into my CR account?

fishrman

Yeah, my wife, who is also a Tica, and I (a Gringo) tried to open a bank account in CR last year when we were last there and they wanted all sorts of documents and proof of residence, etc. and we finally just gave up and will try again next year when we move there (I am retiring next March).

I will also be receiving a monthly pension check and have been trying to figure out the best solution to this problem since they will not deposit my pension check into a non US bank.

I have been looking to see what US banks also have a presence in CR and it looks like Citibank does, so that is probably what I am going to choose.

Open an account at Citibank here and also one in CR when we are there. Any thoughts? 😕

waggoner41

[quote=”artfulgal”][quote]We never bothered to transfer our accounts to Costa Rica because of the services provided by our U.S. bank. They have been selected as 2013 the bank with the best reputation by the American Banker Magazine.[/quote]

What US bank are you using? [/quote]

I responded by Private Mail.

sueandchris

[quote=”waggoner41″][quote=”artfulgal”][quote]We never bothered to transfer our accounts to Costa Rica because of the services provided by our U.S. bank. They have been selected as 2013 the bank with the best reputation by the American Banker Magazine.[/quote]

What US bank are you using? [/quote]

I responded by Private Mail.[/quote]

Could you also send that information by PM to me? Thanks, Sue

waggoner41

[quote=”sueandchris”]

Could you also send that information by PM to me? Thanks, Sue[/quote]

Sent by PM.

Jerry

[quote=”jmartinson3730″]My tica wife and I are hoping to move to Costa Rica in 2014 (Probably to Perez Zeledon).

I don’t know if our bank here could send the money directly to a bank in Costa Rica. Thanks for your help.[/quote]

I let SS put my $$$ in the bank, then use my Visa debit card to get money needed from the ATM here. Minimal transfer fee, but it works for me. I can onlt get $1000 on any given day, but can go every day if I like until I am saturated. The daily limit varies by bank, nboth in the States and here

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.