What about nice places to live ?

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum What about nice places to live ?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    rocknrob

Wow! You guys are really frightening people to come to Costa Rica. All this crime talk. I mean I live between Baltimore and Washington D.C. where there is a lot of crime but there are also beautiful places to live here where you don’t have to be scared.

It can’t be all bad. What about some of the places that are beautiful to visit or live in Costa Rica. How is the Southern part of the country near Quepos?

Andrew
    Keymaster

I am now in my eleventh year living in Costa Rica and live in Pavas on the outskirts of San Jose…

Prior to moving to this apartment, I lived in nine different homes/apartments and I visit San Jose during the day and at night (regularly walking) and apart from having my car radio stolen once about six years ago outside a restaurant, I have never personally had an experience with crime.

I have never been mugged, none of my homes have ever been burgled, I have never kidnapped and I feel safer in San Jose, Costa Rica than I ever did living in London or New York city…

However, maybe I am just dumb, lucky or, as an ex Royal Marines Commando – a little more street smart than most.

But Marines aren’t famous for their intellect so perhaps we can all learn to be more street smart?

In case I’ve never mentioned it, I LOVE living here. 😀

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

anneliseped

You asked about Quepos area.
    If you like beautiful beaches…a protected and well maintained marina…lush rainforest up the hill/mountainsides…clean hotels (large or small, luxury or basic, by the ocean or with a view) with friendly and helpful staff…great restaurants with fantasticaly fresh seafood…streets, roads and paths that are good to use by foot or horse…accessible by land, air or water…trees, flowers, birds and animals of outstanding beauty…THEN this is THE place for you. I personally find it too hot for 365 days of the year, but visit for a few days at least once a year and frequently bring visitors from ‘up-north’ to enjoy the beauty and tranquility.

watchdog

I am in my thirteenth year of living in Costa Rica (western San Jose area) and like Scott, I haven’t been the victim of crime, not even having had my car radio stolen. Prudent behaviour (street smarts) is the key. Always be aware of your surroundings when walking in the San Jose downtown area, don’t leave items in plain view in your car, etc. Outside of San Jose, the Caribbean, or Limon side of the Country tends to be more prone to crime, largely related to illegal drugs. Other than that, exercising prudent behaviour while in other parts of the Country should keep you safe.

smekuly

scott

if you feel so safe!!!!

why do you carry an concealed weapon and never leave home without it.

back in the states I never felt the need to walk around having a concealed weapon as I do here.

steve

anneliseped

I am a retired old woman with grey hair and glasses. The only weapon I carry is a purse and a cane. I have always felt perfectly safe in Costa Rica. Sure…things get stolen, if they are available, don’t they everywhere?
    If I hung my purse off the back of my chair in a restaurant, might it not be a temptation?
    If I left my camera etc. on the seat of the car, would that not be an invitation?
    People who carry weapons and threaten to use them frighten me more than someone who takes material things. Material things can be replaced but my life and health and that of my neighbour cannot!

Doug Ward

[quote=”smekuly”]scott

if you feel so safe!!!!

back in the states I never felt the need to walk around having a concealed weapon as I do here.

steve[/quote]
    I feel safe too, but still carry. If something were to happen I don’t want the scumbag…s… to be a burden on CR’s legal system, or anyone else, ever again.

Andrew
    Keymaster

[quote=”smekuly”]scott

if you feel so safe!!!!

steve[/quote]

I feel very safe in Costa Rica and very safe with Costa Ricans.

My story – and the reason why I carry a gun – is clearly explained at:

[ https://www.welovecostarica.com/public/department69.cfm ]

I carry a gun because my articles and warnings helped ruin the sales of many American scam artists selling “ocean view” land in Costa Rica without the ocean view.

On a number of occasions, it was Americans who telephoned me anonymously threatening my life and the lives of my family and it was Americans who paid someone to plant drugs in my car. It was an attorney friend of mine who uncovered this plot and thankfully they were unsuccessful.

I carry a gun because I went through about three years of BS with a hate campaign involving a sophisticated but anonymous emails and letters (English & Spanish) being sent to clients, developers, Realtors, all Costa Rica police authorities and the immigration department accusing me of some outrageous crimes – all of which were untrue – which we assume was done by the same people although the OIJ (who were magnificent and did everything they could) were never able to prove anything.

If you had been through this yourself and you were also trained and as comfortable as I am with weapons as an ex-Royal Marines Commando, would you not carry a gun?

Scott

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.