welovepuertorico.com

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum welovepuertorico.com

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Imxploring
    Participant

[quote=”bogino”]”[i]Great Place to Visit. Wouldn’t Want to Live There[/i]”…..

Is [b]that[/b] where CR is headed?[/quote]

They don’t want North American economic refugees… they want well to do tourist. The former cost them money (they’re making moves to reverse that with new taxes and CAJA requirements)… the later spends on average a lot more during a vacation or visit.

That fact is obvious… just look at the total lack of ANY government effort/incentives to attract retirees… yet they spends tons of money on attracting tourist.

It is private entities and individuals with a vested financial interest (The R.E. industry in CR for example) that now promote CR as a retirement destination… NOT the government…. that ended a long time ago when they saw the writing on the wall and didn’t want a flood of folks from the North that moved South because they couldn’t afford to live on SS or a small pension back in the US.

Imxploring
    Participant

[quote=”sweikert925″][quote=”Imxploring”]Even a better bumper sticker….[/quote]
    As usual, you run out of rational argument and resort to personal insults. You are nothing if not predictable.

Seems to me you also occasionally link to external sources of information but then you, I guess, are allowed to do that and I, apparently, am not.[/quote]

The BIG difference is that I may post a link to a COMPLETE source or article (as I did in this thread) for people to read and draw their own conclusions. You on the other hand like to copy and paste statistics (without review or expanded explanation) to make your point and then call people complainers when they call you out on your “facts”! This issue is the perfect example… you call those that object to increased taxes in CR complainers sighting your “statistics” that CR is a low tax country by your copy and paste research… yet you completely ignore (nor do you have first hand experience) of the value or quality of the services we are receiving for the payment of those taxes!

Should you consider my calling you out on this FACT a personal insult… I’ll accept that…. as George Bush said (not really)…. “Misson Accomplished”!

Imxploring
    Participant

Another interesting article today on InsideCostaRica.com! I’ll take advantage of copy and paste to post the entire article to let the readers of this forum form their own opinion. Reading it I seem to think that there are real questions as to whether or not folks are getting their monies worth out of the current taxes collected… in this case the tax revenues related to roads and their improvement and repair!

>>>>>>>>October 29th, 2014 (InsideCostaRica.com) Engineers with the National Laboratory of Materials and Structural Models (LANAMME), led by engineer Juan Diego Porras, as well as Luis Guillermo Loria of the National Transportation Infrastructure Program (PITRA) are warning that Costa Rica’s road infrastructure will continue to significantly deteriorate in the coming years unless changes are made in the way the country’s road network is maintained and managed.

Loria said that the problem is not a lack of economic resources, but rather the need for “long-term strategic management that is independent of the political cycle,” noting that most work and infrastructure planning is currently short-sighted, only taking into consideration a time span of four years, coinciding with the country’s political and election cycle.

Loria said the country’s roads would continue to worsen if important decisions are not made immediately, adding that the types and scope of current projects will not substantially improve the state of the road network.

The researchers said their warning is based on a probabilistic mathematical model dubbed “IRI” that allows them a degree of confidence in predicting future conditions of the country’s roadways.

Worst roads in Central America

Costa Rica has the highest fuel prices in Central America but has the worst roads, despite the fact that nearly one-third of the cost of fuel in the country is supposed to be used for road repairs and maintenance, according to a report issued by the International Monetary Fund (IMF) earlier this year.

Costa Rica scored last place in Central America in its Ranking of Availability and Quality of Transport Infrastructure, this despite a heavy 30% tax placed on fuel which is supposed to support repairs and upkeep to the country’s roadways by the National Roads Authority (CONAVI).<<<<<<<<

No pretend statistics…. just the position of someone directly involved in the allocation of tax revenues and the servicing of the country’s roads! Seems he’s not happy with the manner in which money is being spent while stating revenues are NOT the issue…. it’s politicians!

Perhaps now you might understand the resistance to simply rolling over and throwing more money into the black hole politicians create to “correct” problems they themselves control!

sprite

[quote=”Imxploring”][quote=”davidd”]we love puerto rico .com is tongue in cheek 🙂

I find it so funny.. that finally someone is waking up to the fact that taxation and over government regulation is not the answer..

and its still semi part of the U.S. Puerto Rico.

http://www.internationalman.com/tax-free-zone-video

pretty amazing actually.. and costa rica should wake up.

costa rica is obviously headed towards replicating the mother ship and its draconian laws.. to the point that attracts people like sweikert to actually consider relocating here..

If your on a fixed income .. this is not the place to be relocating to.

with U.S. corporatism overwhelming this little country.. (subway has 62 locations here..) and the incompetents in government..trying to come up with ways to tax

this country will not be the place to be.. sorry to say..

would love to hear Scotts thoughts on this.. and people that actually have some REAL world experience instead of .. well you all know who :roll::roll::roll::roll:

[/quote]

Things are getting worse in CR…. like much of the rest of the world. The new “management” seems to have taken up where the last left off…. more taxes rather than cutting cost and encouraging investment. While I still love my escape pod in CR… the idea of using it for anything other than a vacation retreat is not an option now. The mandatory CAJA costs… and other new “ideas” the government have come up with will keep me from placing myself on the radar and applying for residency. I’m happy to play tourist during my stays… and comply with the stay requirements…tourists seem to get better treatment and receive more concern at this point anyway. I’m blessed to be able to maintain homes in a few nice places. For those unable to do so the idea of placing all your eggs in CR’s basket is a scary prospect. I love the place and the people. The way they are treating expats and future ones has me very turned off.

As to PR…. A lot of hype but if you look deeper there are major issues with the moves they’re making to attract investment and people. The likelihood that the “incentives” will be watered down or eliminated outweighs the effort.

He’s another view on PR.

http://www.nestmann.com/puerto-rico-dont-believe-the-hype?inf_contact_key=b260f646d9edb206da1b2ca76152f15db98d7f96426f02681a8d2226173fc57d#.VE00vGDD_mw%5B/quote%5D

I am leaning towards your way of thinking….keeping two homes may be a good idea. Whether or not one of those homes should be in the US is the bigger question.

sprite

[quote=”sweikert925″][quote=”aguirrewar”]… the house in Tampa, FL is 2,200 sq/ft and only $900.00 in property tax.[/quote]
    You’re not overpaying in CR, you’re getting a steal in FL. Ask anyone else who lives in (or recently moved from) the US who has (or had) a comparable house what they pay (or paid) in property taxes. On a per square foot basis, I pay more than triple that.[/quote]

Crap! I have to agree with you on this, Sweikert. The yearly tax on my house in South Florida is $5300. The yearly property tax for my 12,000 sq meters in Costa Rica is so nominal I am embarrassed to list it. I have never heard of a 1200 sq ft CR house paying $1200 in taxes. That doesn’t sound right at all.

sueandchris

I haven’t lived in Costa Rica for nearly two years but was back for a month last January. I was flat shocked at the increase in costs. I am also hearing from friends still living there about rising tax bills AND from folks who are getting residency accompanied by nasty news about what their CAJA will cost. I am now living in Arizona and I can tell you that my monthly costs here are less than they were in Costa Rica when every cost is taken into account. I have purchased a house here so can speak as a homeowner. In my opinion, Costa Rica can no longer be considered as good choice for people with moderate retirement incomes.

I was so sad to realize after my trip this year to realize that I can’t live full-time in Costa Rica because of budget realities and other considerations. But Costa Rica will always be the “home of my heart” and I too will return as a visitor whenever I can.

davidd

[b]
    the only person that will be able to retire properly in Costa Rica is sweikert :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    [/b]

[quote=”sueandchris”]I haven’t lived in Costa Rica for nearly two years but was back for a month last January. I was flat shocked at the increase in costs. I am also hearing from friends still living there about rising tax bills AND from folks who are getting residency accompanied by nasty news about what their CAJA will cost. I am now living in Arizona and I can tell you that my monthly costs here are less than they were in Costa Rica when every cost is taken into account. I have purchased a house here so can speak as a homeowner. In my opinion, Costa Rica can no longer be considered as good choice for people with moderate retirement incomes.

I was so sad to realize after my trip this year to realize that I can’t live full-time in Costa Rica because of budget realities and other considerations. But Costa Rica will always be the “home of my heart” and I too will return as a visitor whenever I can.

[/quote]

aguirrewar

MR. Sweikert and Sprite:

you don’t believe me in the amount of property taxes I pay in CR vs. the one in Tampa, FL; then do this and you will really find out

from San Jose head towards Desamparados all the way towards “Parque de LA PAZ” you will reach la “Circunvalacion” and when you pass LA GUACAMAYA (auto part store) turn right. On your left you will see CASA CONDE (hotel) on your right a gated community. 8th house on your left and you are at my place.

would you also like to visit me in Tampa, FL….It is easy to find also, walking distance to MacDill AFB.

warren

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.