We Do Not Speak Spanish YET

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum We Do Not Speak Spanish YET

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    rocky425

My family and I are coming down in Oct, and about the only spanish we know is how to order and pay for a beer. So what do you recommmend for us? Tour or wing it. Also we would like to stay somewhere other than a hotel in the San Jose area. there will be three adutls and we need two rooms. Any Suggestions?

cindyc

My suggestion would be to make it a project between now and October and learn some basic Spanish through any of the available programs; I’ve enjoyed “unforgettable languages”. I don’t speak a lot of Spanish and have really had not much trouble getting around; plenty of people speak enough English that you can get through it. As far as staying in San Jose the Cariari B & B is nice; Only 3-4 rooms and reasonably priced.
    At least you’ll have beer!

CC

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Do learn a few phrases in Spanish, but don’t be discouraged from coming due to your lack of language skills. Some Costa Rican people speak some English. All of them I’ve encountered are patient, helpful, and willing to work with you if you remain calm, friendly and also patient.

It would help to learn the names of major items on a restaurant menu (chicken, pork, fish, beef, a few vegetable names, etc.) and how to ask a few important questions and understand the answers. Most of this can be learned from a Spanish language phrase book.

Above all, keep your sense of humor and remember that the Costa Ricans won’t understand you any better the louder you talk.

Gr1ng0T1c0

You don’t need to speak the language to get around. If you’re unsure of where you’re going, just stop and ask somebody by saying the name of your destination. They’ll say a bunch of intelligible things, then they’ll point. Just follow the finger.

Also, my buddy said he discovered the right way to handle all the potholes – just go real fast (with somebody else’s car).

senta

I would not recommend to drive fast! I was renting a car in Mexico once for 3 weeks and drove from Puerto Valarte all the way to the border of Guatemala. Never mind all those speed bumps and potholes. I came once around a sharp curve and almost hit a dead donkey in the middle of the road, probably hit by a truck.

jrego

Hola Rocky425, you will get so much more enjoyment out of Costa Rica if you can speak a little Espanol. Costa Ricans are very easy going and accommodating people, a lot of them speak inglés. Where I found it most frustrating was in trying to communicating with niños. You can see the inquisitiveness and confusion in their eyes when they cannot understand you and what they are trying to get across isn’t happening. Very frustrating! I am in the process of learning Espanol online. You and your family have ample time to learn a lot. According to these courses, you need to know just 200 words in order to be able communicate comfortably. That shouldn’t be a huge effort (I keep telling myself). Anyway you have until October, you can do it. The two online sites I use is:

http://www.learninglikecrazy.com/
    http://www.rocketspanish.com/

Rocket Spanish is my primary source. Both sites have a fair bit you can try out for free. I hope this helps you and anyone else who finds themselves as Espanol challenged as I am.
    James.

drummerdaveb

If you only know how to order a beer, the key words are
    “Imperial” and “Bavaria Negra”.
    🙂

You want to learn a few phrases like:
    “I am lost. How do I get to . .. ?” — You’ll use that one a lot!
    “Where is the Bathroom?”
    “Check please” (They wont bring your check until you ask for it.)
    “How much is it?”

Gr1ng0T1c0

Beer: Cerveza
    Soccer: Futbol (accent on the “o”)
    Bathroom: Bano (The “n” is an “enye” – pronounced “n” then “y”)
    Check: Cuenta
    How much: Cuanto
    Hello: Pura vida
    Goodbye: Pura vida
    Good: Pura vida
    Great: Pura vida
    Wonderful: Pura vida
    Nice: Pura vida

OK, you’re ready…

Gr1ng0T1c0

Hey Scott, how do I write my tildes & enyes on your forum??? I don’t want to sound like an ano when I say Happy New Year!

rocky425

this is gonna be easier than I thought , great little words Pura vida

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.