Wal-Mart in Costa Rica – Yeeeeech!

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Wal-Mart in Costa Rica – Yeeeeech!

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Andrew
    Keymaster

Sorry but this is NOT correct and this is not just ‘opinion,’ it’s the law.

Ticos are NOT “generally treated in a borderline criminal manner by employers and have very little recourse to do anything about it.”

It has been my experience that Costa Rican Labor Laws are VERY much in favor of the employees and will nearly always rule in favor of the employee.

But just to verify this for you, I asked my good friend and attorney Jose Rafael Fernandez who said that:

“The person who wrote that does not have the least idea of what he is saying. Labor law in Costa Rica is ruled by the principle in dubbio pro operario that is in doubt must rule in favor or the employee. And that is very much strictly applied by the courts.”

As you will have seen on this site, “if” you are planning on employing anybody in Costa Rica, you really must understand Costa Rica Labor Laws (or have an attorney that does) BECAUSE the laws are so much in favor of the employee.

I can only assume that you are referring to undocumented and illegal workers being “treated in a borderline criminal manner by employers” because this could not apply to legally employed Costa Ricans.

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

happygirl

…and a job at Wal-mart is better than no job. I have friends who work at Wal-mart here in Canada and they enjoy their work!

scottbenson

A interesting topic that has not been explored here is the yearly bonus (juinaldo)that is one month pay is manditory by law. Every employer big or small has to save one months worth of a bonus to give to their employees. If the employees don’t recive the money the goverment will go after the employers, they will send the police to recive the money if they have to.
    Also by law all employers have to have supply health insurance with the employee.

In Minnesota small towns such as Grand Rapids, Wal-mart has provided employment. Most of the people that work there are happy because other wise they might be on welfare.

Andrew
    Keymaster

On the old WeLoveCostaRica.com site we did have an article about the AGUINALDO and who was entitled to it but it was “lost” in the transition to this new system.

I’ll try and make sure we get one done…

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

Ripple33

To me it seems like a trade off. Walmart may bring more jobs but also causes many folks to lose their jobs. Just like in the states Walmart moves in with rock bottom prices because they can buy in bulk. The result is many independant businesses cant compete. For the locals this is not good. It creates more dependancy on imported goods and large corporations. Not a good proposition. If CAFTA does pass then this will be the norm. More dependancy on overseas corportations, reduction in the ability of independant business to survive, and reduced independance as a nation. The result in the long run is what we see in the states. High prices for insurance, health care, ect because of the power that those corporations have over the people and influence they have on the government. What other option do you have other than to fork out the money for your insurance, health care, electric ect. You can either pay or do without. Part of what makes CR a peaceful place is the fact that the government has made alot of the basic needs of the people affordable to most of its people. Take that away and you are going to have alot of very unhappy people. Solamente mi dos centavos.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.