Wal-Mart: How a retail giant fueled growth with bribes

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Wal-Mart: How a retail giant fueled growth with bribes

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Andrew
    Keymaster

We [url=https://www.welovecostarica.com/members/cfmbb/messages.cfm?threadid=D6BBADE4-24E8-5ED2-F13ECEB3627385D0]discussed this here[/url] initially in April but the story has become much bigger.

You can see the new article by Josh Haner and Brent McDonald in the New York Times link below.

[url=http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/18/business/walmart-bribes-teotihuacan.html?]The Bribery Aisle: How Wal-Mart Used Payoffs to Get Its Way in Mexico[/url]

Scott

camby

Sort of goes well with the current debate on the taxes/inheritance thred…..

Andrew
    Keymaster

Huh?

costaricabill
    Participant

[quote=”camby”]Sort of goes well with the current debate on the taxes/inheritance thred…..[/quote]

duh, huh??

costaricabill
    Participant

[quote=”Scott”]We [url=https://www.welovecostarica.com/members/cfmbb/messages.cfm?threadid=D6BBADE4-24E8-5ED2-F13ECEB3627385D0]discussed this here[/url] initially in April but the story has become much bigger.

You can see the new article by Josh Haner and Brent McDonald in the New York Times link below.

[url=http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/18/business/walmart-bribes-teotihuacan.html?]The Bribery Aisle: How Wal-Mart Used Payoffs to Get Its Way in Mexico[/url]

Scott [/quote]

A long article but very interesting, and sad.

aguirrewar

Wal-Mart de Mexico is a sub-division of the headquarters for Wal-mart in Bentonville, Ark.

W/M de Mexico handles all of the Central and South America operations to include the stores in Costa Rica

🙄

IF!!!! this happened in Mexico it also happened in Costa Rica

VictoriaLST

Bribes? What else is new. 🙄

johnnyh

[quote=”VictoriaLST”]Bribes? What else is new. :roll:[/quote]

I’m sure all of you have seen Star Trek, the Next Generation where all the inhabitants of the Federation can lead lives of success whether you are a klingon or a ferengi or a human, in short, the future is kind of rosy in that you can become a Captain Picard, or an engineer, or an artist, all beneficial to the system, even a traveler, just wondering through the solar system and beyond, or an modern day colonizer of planet Ururu or Onehunglow.
    Well it seems that our immediate future has been all planed out by the bankster elite, and is more of us becoming serfs, otherwise known as peasants. It’s turning out more of a Fritz Lang’s Metropolis.
    But I didn’t realize this when I was 20, or 30, or 50 years old. I finally wised up to their game and I’m fevereshly (is there such a word) trying a different strategy.
    Our Presidents, our Congresses, all our leaders are in on the fix. They are the club. And as George Carlin said. We ain’t in it!

costaricabill
    Participant

[quote=”johnnyh”]
    I’m sure all of you have seen Star Trek, the Next Generation where all the inhabitants of the Federation can lead lives of success whether you are a klingon or a ferengi or a human, in short, the future is kind of rosy in that you can become a Captain Picard, or an engineer, or an artist, all beneficial to the system, even a traveler, just wondering through the solar system and beyond, or an modern day colonizer of planet Ururu or Onehunglow.
    Well it seems that our immediate future has been all planed out by the bankster elite, and is more of us becoming serfs, otherwise known as peasants. It’s turning out more of a Fritz Lang’s Metropolis.
    But I didn’t realize this when I was 20, or 30, or 50 years old. I finally wised up to their game and I’m fevereshly (is there such a word) trying a different strategy.
    Our Presidents, our Congresses, all our leaders are in on the fix. They are the club. And as George Carlin said. We ain’t in it!
    [/quote]

Oh no, it appears that Sprite is populating!

[b]This is supposed to be a thread about Walmart! [/b]
    Once again we have someone trying to redirect a serious subject into “Star Trek”, “klingons”, “ferengis”, “Captain Picard”, “Ururu”, “Onehunglow”, “banksters” “Metropolis” and of course that most respected philosopher George Carlin. Please try and remember, he was a friggin’ comedian!

It is meaningless babble like this that makes me hope that tomorrow really is the end of the world.

costaricabill
    Participant

[quote=”aguirrewar”]Wal-Mart de Mexico is a sub-division of the headquarters for Wal-mart in Bentonville, Ark.

W/M de Mexico handles all of the Central and South America operations to include the stores in Costa Rica

🙄

IF!!!! this happened in Mexico it also happened in Costa Rica[/quote]

That is really kind of foolish to say without any proof, isn’t it? The story about the small town in Mexico seems to be thoroughly investigated and well documented, yet you are ready to pronounce it as a certain fact that “IF!!! this happened in Mexico it also happened in Costa Rica” with no proof at all. Do you KNOW something that you are not telling us, or is this only conjecture on your part?

If you said “IF!!!! this happened in Mexico it may have (or probably) happened in Costa Rica as well” then I would not question it, but for you to proclaim it with such certainty is a hasty generalization, and wrong!

costaricabill
    Participant

[quote=”VictoriaLST”]Bribes? What else is new. :roll:[/quote]

And Victoria, what proof do you have? Have you ever paid a bribe in Costa Rica? And please, don’t start with “no I haven’t but…..”

Like you say, [i]”There is what you think, what you want to believe, everything else….and then there are the facts”[/i], so tell us, is this what you think, or is it what you want to believe or is this a fact?

I’m waiting for the fact(s) mam, just the facts!

camby

[quote=”costaricabill”][quote=”camby”]Sort of goes well with the current debate on the taxes/inheritance thred…..[/quote]

duh, huh??[/quote]

there is a thred going now, started by Scott, about inheritance taxes that has devolved into a rich vs poor, have vs have nots,etc thred….part of discussions revolving around should Mega-Corps pay taxes and what amounts, fair shares,etc….so, no no “duh” its a active thred at least yestereday and I think, though could be wrong, you particiapted on that……let me know if spelling out more simply needed 😀

camby

Thred noted:
    https://www.welovecostarica.com/members/cfmbb/messages.cfm?threadid=76246881-24E8-5ED2-F10D92480D965CF5

if one looks over posts, one sees a clear shift for inheritance taxes to a variety of comments on business,jobs, employers vs employees,etc……

VictoriaLST

[quote=”costaricabill”][quote=”VictoriaLST”]Bribes? What else is new. :roll:[/quote]

And Victoria, what proof do you have? Have you ever paid a bribe in Costa Rica? And please, don’t start with “no I haven’t but…..”

Like you say, [i]”There is what you think, what you want to believe, everything else….and then there are the facts”[/i], so tell us, is this what you think, or is it what you want to believe or is this a fact?

I’m waiting for the fact(s) mam, just the facts![/quote]

Does paying an “on the spot fine” qualify? If so, then yes.

camby

[quote=”VictoriaLST”][quote=”costaricabill”][quote=”VictoriaLST”]Bribes? What else is new. :roll:[/quote]

I’m waiting for the fact(s) mam, just the facts![/quote]

Does paying an “on the spot fine” qualify? If so, then yes.[/quote]

does the law in CR or another country set clearly forth what things can be fined and the limits? and allow for on the spot? then no, if it is hazy or not clearly defined/written, then you may have something there…
    any clear examples?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.