Vineyards & Wineries?

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Vineyards & Wineries?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Dena

Does anyone know of any vineyards or wineries that we can visit in CR?

grb1063

Anyone will correct me if I am wrong, but there are not any major wine growing regions in the world between 30 N and 30 S latitudes. There is not any local Costa Rican wine that I am aware of that is not made from grapes that come from elsewhere. The majority of the wine in the stores in CR is primarily from South America (Chile & Argentina)and secondarily from Europe.

Andrew
    Keymaster

There was a company that made wine in Costa Rica from grape extract imported from Canada and I was invited to a couple of private wine tasting parties featuring this wine, it was truly quite disgusting…

I may be wrong but as far as I know, there are no vineyards in Costa Rica.

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

lisle55

Isn’t there one in La Garita?

Andrew
    Keymaster

That is the one that makes wine from imported grape extract …

colleenb45

My husband and I were in CR in June visiting my son and dau-in-law and we went to the volcano right out of San Jose and on the way back stopped at a little place to eat. Great Food, Beautiful View! While looking at their sale items, I noticed some Wine and it said Costa Rican wine. That was the only bottle, so we bought it. Will try it soon and let u know. The label didn’t say where in CR. No other info on the bottle.

sueandchris

We have discovered several Argentinian and Chilean wines on the shelves in Costa Rica that are not available in the US. Often, the prices were outstanding and the quality superb. We have been trending more and more towards South American wines in the last couple of years, so are looking forward to that aspect of life in Costa Rica. Also, we have been sampling some excellent South African vintners. Are these available there, and do import duties cause them to be prohibitively priced?

Andrew
    Keymaster

We drink primarily Chilean wine (the Carmeñere is a very underrated wine), Argentinean (we know an importer) and Australian wines – Hardy’s is a great Aussie wine for a terrific price ($10) – they have a dee-licious Shiraz. We also have Penfolds and a number of other Aussie brands…

AutoMercado certainly has a number of South African wines on sales but they are a little more expensive than the others mentioned above and IMHO not as good…

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

orcas06

Yes there is. About a kilometer from the turnoff to Turrucares on the road to Atenas, right hand side. They have a vinyard but don’t know if they make their wine from these grapes. Scott is correct; the wine is horrible but they have a very decent restaurant and offer other nice wines.

Andrew
    Keymaster

This site should give you good information about what wines are available here in Costa Rica.

[ http://www.wineandspirits.co.cr ]

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

grifz77

I think Bella Colina has one…

costaricafinca
    Participant

There is a winery in La Garita. And they use there own grapes. There is also another facility in Belen.
    We are growing grapes in Guanacaste, although still in the experimental stage. We presently make fruit wines, but not for resale, as yet.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.