Veteran Info

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Veteran Info

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    cawdor

Hola!
    I am a disabled vet & my wife is a disabled civilian ( quite a pair ). She has MS & i’m just a mess. I recently read that CIMA in Escuza accepts TriCare. Is this true & are there other providers? Also,we receive our meds via mail order from Express Scripts. They do not deliver outside of US. This item is very important because her scripts for MS would cost $1800.00 per month. Via E.S. it’s $9.00. Any suggestions or info would be deeply appreciated.

Gracias!
    CMCP

Andrew
    Keymaster

Please read ‘Costa Rica Healthcare for Military Veterans’ by John Cantrell which you will find at John’s telephone number is listed at the bottom…

Getting Meds mailed to you here is easy even if the company you deal with does not mail outside the USA. All you need is a USA mail forwarding address. One popular company you could look at is Aerocasillas. You can see their Costa Rica address information at

Scott

DavidCMurray
    Participant

I have a friend who’s retired from the U.S. Army and goes to CIMA for his health care.

I also have Express Scripts as a mail-in pharmacy. Two problems arise: first, they will only honor a prescription written by a doctor who has a DEA registration number. Costa Rican physicians don’t. So you’ll have to figure out how to get scripts written in the U.S. And prescriptions in the U.S. are only good for one year.

Second, Aerocasilles’ service and/or Costa Rican Customs are very unpredictable. Some things get here from our mail forwarding service in Miami in less than a week, but we received First Class mail last week, via Aerocasilles and delivered to the Association of Residents of Costa Rica in San Jose, that was postmarked January 17th (that’s right!). And we’ve had packages that took over a month to arrive here that were originally consigned to UPS in Miami. So you must order way in advance.

cawdor

Scott

Thank-you so much for the info & links. My wife & I really appreciate the good news.

cawdor

David

The information you provided was also valuable to my wife & I. Things are looking up.

Mary Ann

Where do you all live. Curious because I have MS and am considering moving there because the weather is so good for me there. I was also wondering how accessible it is since I am in a wheelchair. Any information would be grateful.
    Thank You
    Mary Ann

lipskm

As much as I know about MS medications, they have to be refrigerated all the time. In USA most of the time if they being shipped, pharmacy will include dry ice into the box. No ice will help for parcel to Costa Rica. Are you on Avonex, Rebif or what? All MS medications are injections.

cawdor

Currently in the US BetaSeron no longer requires refrigeration. Also, they are developing some meds ( don’t know which ones yet ) in pill form.

Mary Ann

So where is it that you all live. I am in need of help in finding x-pats and to see where it is that would be accessible for me since I am in a wheelchair.

Andrew
    Keymaster

The sidewalks here (when there are sidewalks) are not particularly safe for people that are fit and healthy.

For someone confined to a wheelchair, I would have thought that as long as you have one of those vans where it’s easy to get the wheelchair in an out and you are living in an area near to a big shopping mall like MultiPlaza in Escazu that you could get around fine but anywhere else in the country? Can’t imagine it being easy at all.

Scott

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.