Using your IRA to invest in RE

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Using your IRA to invest in RE

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    bogino
    Participant

Sometime back (months ago) there was a discussion (maybe several) regarding using your IRA to invest in real estate and there were several firms mentioned that have expertise in handling those sorts of transactions. Can someone please point me to where I might find that information again.

Thank You.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Was it Attorney Roger Petersen’s report?

Using Your Individual Retirement Account (IRA) to Purchase Property in Costa Rica by Roger A. Petersen – Attorney at Law. September 2009

[ https://www.welovecostarica.com/members/programs/fileinfo.cfm?id=37&action=display ]

bogino
    Participant

Do you know if conceptually the same applies to using your IRA to investing in real estate in the U.S.? I know the report you referenced is specific to Costa Rice but my interest is in investing to domestic US real estate. Thx.

Dazu

Yes, you can purchase US real estate. I use NuView IRA, Inc.
    NuView is a retirement plan administration company, specializing in record keeping services for those who wish to self-direct their retirement plans and hold alternative investments.

mbuhler

Equity Trust Company and its affiliate, Sterling Trust Company, are retirement account custodians I use that offer self-directed IRA and 401k accounts that can invest in real estate. Another big player in the self-directed retirement account arena is Pensco Trust Company. If you do a web search for “self directed IRA” or “self directed 401k” you will find bunches of custodian firms for self directed retirement accounts that will act as custodians and administrators for real estate investing as well as many other investments that the conventional administrators like Fidelity won’t do. They have different fee and cost structures, so it will pay to do your homework.

alewis

We use Equity Trust co. They don’t really have to do much it seems to me, but they do it well.

sleslie31

This is all new to me. I am very interested in personally emailing some or any of you that have actually done this. Could you move your existing 401k’s over to them? How long did it take? Is it expensive?

Thanks in advance for your help! I know most of you have been in my shoes before and you all seem so friendly and willing to share the knowledge.

bogino
    Participant

I know that when using an IRA to invest in RE you cannot use the property as your primary residence and you cannot rent the house out to family members. Does anyone know whether the property can be rented out to an Ex Wife who, technically, is no longer a family member? Thx.

maravilla

why would anyone want to do this??????????

bogino
    Participant

[quote=”maravilla”]why would anyone want to do this??????????[/quote]

Economics.

maravilla

sounds like Milton Friedman and the chicago boys theory.

sstarkey

Better question is why WOULDN’T anyone want to do this.

It’s a “no brainer”, actually, but sadly most Americans are not aware that they can actually take charge of their own retirement investments using this *IRS blessed* method.

I’m pretty financially savvy and yet only learned of the self-directed IRA last year. Well kept secret, I’d say.

*And BTW, I’m a U of Chicago Grad :)*

camby

[quote=”bogino”]Do you know if conceptually the same applies to using your IRA to investing in real estate in the U.S.? I know the report you referenced is specific to Costa Rice but my interest is in investing to domestic US real estate. Thx.[/quote]

I have no interest at all in USA real estate, unless I could know for certain there was gold, oil,etc and the land was cheap.
    Other then what I own now, little, and anything to inherit, I want no property in the United States Soon to Fail..

to each their own, I guess…..

camby

[quote=”sstarkey”]Better question is why WOULDN’T anyone want to do this.

It’s a “no brainer”, actually, but sadly most Americans are not aware that they can actually take charge of their own retirement investments using this *IRS blessed* method.

I’m pretty financially savvy and yet only learned of the self-directed IRA last year. Well kept secret, I’d say.

*And BTW, I’m a U of Chicago Grad :)*[/quote]

Due to laws in effect, I could not at all without the wife’s signature and she is living in dream-lal la land on the markets,etc…..too much in a box of out of date thinking……so, when markets plummet, she will only assume they will go back up,etc…..

camby

[quote=”maravilla”]why would anyone want to do this??????????[/quote]

my 401K is locked in largely Wall Street and similar….domino effect eventually….land, at least, might have some value for building-goes on even in depressions-or raising food…….ultimately, would like some acres to live on and do this, when the shit hits fan, will have a way to at least eat…..live off land……cant live off mutual funds…..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.