Used 4X4 search

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Used 4X4 search

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    costaricabill
    Participant

Well, the time for the move is finally upon us. The container goods are already in storage in San Jose, and I will be in Samara July 14-20 to recieve the furniture and installation of appliances. So now (finally) I am looking for a late model 4×4, diesel, automatic with the extra seat for the 3rd row (max seats 6-7). I have heard that there are guys that will take your “wish list” and go find the car (or cars) for your consideration, and basically narrow it down to a one or two day search. Does anyone know of a such a reputable “car search” expert?

*Lotus

Bill,

I think this is a service that has been discussed on this site, I think the guys name is Russ? He may also moderate the american-european site?

http://autos.fijatevos.com/index.php?action=page_display&PageID=7

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Bill, I can’t help you with your search, but I can unconditionally recommend you look for a Hyundai Terracan with the 2.9 litre diesel engine. Our 2006 (bought new and now with 58,000km) has been perfect. A friend recently bought one (a 2006) from the Toyota dealer for about $24,000. These cars are much, much cheaper than similar Nissans or Toyotas.

editer

Does anyone have experience with Suzuik Gran Vitaras? This vehicle has been recommended to me. I’ve seen models from 2000 to 2005 for under $15,000. They usually have fewer than 100,000 miles on them. I’ve been looking in the La Nacion classifieds.

Other than using Russ’s service or a similar service, it seems that buying a used car must be an ordeal. The worst part would be locating where the sellers live and driving two or three hours to get from one seller to another.

editer

xspire1

I purchased a used 4×4 Toyota Landcruiser in San Jose a few months ago and it was really quite simple. I had sourced the vehicle on the internet and when I got to San Jose I asked the owner if he could bring the car to my hotel for a test drive. I found that a buyer that sounded seriously interested was enough to make the vendor very eager to bring the vehicle to the hotel. After the test drive, I asked if I could have the vehicle mechanically inspected (including emissions testing) and he agreed. After the vehicle inspection, I had him send the title documents that he had to my lawyer and they researched the title to ensure that the transfer of ownership would be seamless. I was in San Jose for two days to complete the entire transaction. It was a simple process and I would not hesitate to do it again.

Best of luck with your transaction.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

The following is an unpaid, unsolicited non-endorsement:

The city of Grecia is 30km from Juan Santamaria International Airport. The exit from the autopista toward Grecia is 20km from the airport. In the ten kilometers between the autopista and Grecia are some three dozen used car dealerships. If you want to see a lot of cars for sale, head for Grecia.

If you buy a car from one of them and it works out well, you can pat me on the back. If it doesn’t go well, don’t blame me; I’m just the messenger.

editer

Thanks, xspire1. This is excellent, usable information.

editer

TXGringoTico

Buying a used car is one of the easiest ways in Costa Rica to get a free ride to the cleaners. Cars that have spent their lives here aren’t equipped with the things you want. Some of those things you can see and some you can’t. They don’t have all the safety features you are used to and they have been driven on these bad roads since they were new.

Arden Brink has written some excellent articles on this topic which are in the archives and I think would be easy to find. There is also a website I have seen recommended here before which talks about the pitfalls. See http://www.bestcostaricacars.com

Whatever you do, you can’t be too careful. The majority of cars sold here are made to “look” like new. They do a good job of that in most cases, but you have no way of knowing if the vehicle was wrecked (chocado) or flooded or whatever. Let the buyer (YOU!) beware. When it comes to used vehicles, this place is like the US in the 50’s and 60’s… No consumer protection laws and plenty of people waiting in line to take advantage of that fact.

editer

I truly understand what you are saying TXGringoRico. That’s why I think that xspire1’s advice was so good. I would certainly take any car that I am considering to purchase to a reputable, uninvolved mechanic. There is no way to guarantee that a car will not have defects. However the only choice that I have is to take a chance or to resign myself to traveling by bus and taxi. I’m still to much of a gringo to give up driving, so I’ll take my chances.

editer

TXGringoTico

Wow, editer! Me too! 🙂

I sure didn’t mean to imply that anyone shouldn’t buy one. Just that we have to be extra cautious when we do. I really think the advice given by Arden and on that bestcostaricacars website are the best you’ll find. There are ways to make sure you get the safety features you want (and NEED here!) and the quality you expect and deserve. You just can’t go down and buy a Certified PreOwned Lexus here like you can up north. It takes work.

Sitting here looking at parrots in the tree outside my window makes a little extra effort seem like such a bargain. Gosh I love living here!

DavidCMurray
    Participant

I agree that Arden and TX have offered good advice. Before we moved here, we committed to buying a new Hyundai Terracan from the importer. It’s been the best vehicle I’ve ever owned, but if I had it to do over I’d import a car from the U.S.

Since the import duty goes up in three year increments, I’d buy a three year-old car off lease in the U.S. and have it imported here. That way, you’d be paying the lowest import duty on a car that had already seen most of its depreciation. And you’d be getting a car that meets U.S. safety standards. Lease cars are usuually pretty well cared for, since the leasee knows s/he has to turn it in in good condition, and the mileage is generally low. But the depreciation is already taken.

GreciaBound

AK John,

Take a look at http://www.europcar.com It’s off site 10 minutes from SJO airport, and best rates I found.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.