US taxes on US Soci Sec Payments while CR Resident

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum US taxes on US Soci Sec Payments while CR Resident

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    DavidCMurray
    Participant

(insert chuckle here)

You know, Imx, I think you’ve just hit on the solution to both the tax problems in the U.S. and the war on terror. All we have to do is adopt one of the Republican-favored tax reform plans that imposes a value added tax, a national sales tax, or whatever and abolishes the IRS altogether. Then, we’s have all the resources of the IRS to devote to chasing down bin Laden. Clearly the military and the CIA can’t lay a hand on him, but if he owes a dime in federal taxes I’ll bet the IRS could have him in chains in a month. And they could easily make his life as miserable as he’s made ours. Paybacks are hell.

I’m due my first SS check early next month. I have an award letter with the gross amount cited, so when we see what ends up in my bank account we’ll know how expat citizens in Costa Rica are treated.

Peg

Couldn’t you just use a Miami mail forwarding service with a street address?

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Peg, maybe I missed an important detail, but I thought that my physical street address (the mail forwarding service) would only accept packages from UPS, et al and not First Class Mail.

Regardless, I’d still have to include our “SJO-####” mail code in the address. As soon as the clerk at the Embassy saw that, she said they would not correspond with me there. I know from painful experience that if your SJO- number isn’t on correspondence you won’t get it, so omitting it isn’t an option either. The clerk insisted upon using our Costa Rica “address”.

One could, I suppose, use a relative’s address in the U.S., but that would violate the address notification requirement contained in the booklet they send you (and, I’ll bet, the SS regs).

Edited on Jan 13, 2008 06:35

Hi, being here since last Aug and i would like to know if any one knows where to go in order to file the US Income Taxes.
    Loving it in Costa Rica

Guillermo

DavidCMurray
    Participant

I got my first Social Security retirement payment February 1st. It was for the full amount of the benefit with nothing withheld for federal taxes.

Peg

David,
    Did they deduct any money for transfering it into your CR account?
    How’s the knee coming along?

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Peg, I’m having the SS money deposited to my U.S. bank account. One can arrange to have it sent to a Banco Nacional account via a U.S. bank in New York for a monthly charge of $6.00US. I have two friends who are having this done.

The knee? Well, it’s no worse. Actually, it’s only been four days and three PT treatments, so I don’t expect it to be perfect just yet. I’m not planning any water skiing for a while.

Peg

Thanks David. Do your PT and you will be back to water skiing in no time.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Gee, I never could before . . .

Peg

David
    I never set off airport metal detectors before, but I do now, and have to be patted down each time through. So anythings possible as we get older and more bionic.

harvcarp

Since the tax filing season has already begun, some seniors have already learned that they don’t need to file a return for 2007 based on their income.

The rule: If your gross income falls below your standard deduction plus the exemption for you and – if you’re married, your spouse – you don’t have to file a return.

Harvey

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.