Urgently need medication for our dog.

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Urgently need medication for our dog.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    PeggyS

My husband & I are Canadians recently relocated to Costa Rica several weeks ago, with our German Shepherd. She has since developed a leaky bladder (common condition in 81% of all “senior” spayed females). After a visit to the vet in Atenas, it was agreed that phenylpropanolamine was the best course of treatment.

Unfortunately, none of the “suppliers” that this vet deals with sells the required medication. Can ANYONE out there help me find this medication in Costa Rica? Thank you

maravilla

what about using a human OTC formula that has PPA in it, or have all those drugs been recalled now??

i would try a farm-vet store in your area or start calling around to various vet offices to see if anyone stocks it.

PeggyS

[quote=”maravilla”]what about using a human OTC formula that has PPA in it, or have all those drugs been recalled now??

i would try a farm-vet store in your area or start calling around to various vet offices to see if anyone stocks it.[/quote]

Thanks, Maravilla. The vet said that human OTC formulas generally have ingredients that aren’t good for the dog. I’m trying to contact different vets to see if they stock it, but no luck yet.

maravilla

you must have a farm-vet-feed store in your area. they often stock all kinds of things that vets don’t.

PeggyS

[quote=”maravilla”]you must have a farm-vet-feed store in your area. they often stock all kinds of things that vets don’t.[/quote]

We’re in Santa Eulalia, between Atenas & Grecia…I’ll check it out

costaricabill
    Participant

If you can find a Dos Pinos “ferria store” in your area, see if they have it or if they may know who does. I have found them to have a good supply of foods, vitamins and preventative meds for animals – domestic & farm.
    Good luck and give her lota of love! Pets are great friends and I am confident that we all want the best for your’s!

maravilla

the farm-vet stores are the best kept secret in CR. They stock all kinds of meds for all kinds of animals, and are often cheaper than getting them from your personal vet.

costaricafinca
    Participant

We, too, buy from ‘Dos Pinos’ in our locale.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

maravilla, you’re in San Ramon, right? You’re not too far from the folks whose dog needs the meds. Can you direct them to the place you would recommend?

maravilla

yep, i am in San Ramon and we have several farm-vet stores here. you want me to give an address???? oh hahahaha. The one i use the most is the Semillera next to LaDuchesa on the northbound street just a few meters south of the northwest corner of the park. how’s that for a description? also there is Dr. Quesada who has a big new clinic near the main branch of BCR. that’s as close as i can get on that one. the semillera has been there since 1946! it’s my favorite store in San Ramon. i don’t have a phone number, but neither of the owners speak any english.

PeggyS

[quote=”maravilla”]yep, i am in San Ramon and we have several farm-vet stores here. you want me to give an address???? oh hahahaha. The one i use the most is the Semillera next to LaDuchesa on the northbound street just a few meters south of the northwest corner of the park. how’s that for a description? also there is Dr. Quesada who has a big new clinic near the main branch of BCR. that’s as close as i can get on that one. the semillera has been there since 1946! it’s my favorite store in San Ramon. i don’t have a phone number, but neither of the owners speak any english.[/quote]

You have all been very helpful in pointing us in the right direction…I’m confident we’ll be able to find medication for Tonka sometime this week. I’ll keep you posted…Thank you!

[quote=”PeggyS”]My husband & I are Canadians recently relocated to Costa Rica several weeks ago, with our German Shepherd. She has since developed a leaky bladder (common condition in 81% of all “senior” spayed females). After a visit to the vet in Atenas, it was agreed that phenylpropanolamine was the best course of treatment.

Unfortunately, none of the “suppliers” that this vet deals with sells the required medication. Can ANYONE out there help me find this medication in Costa Rica? Thank you[/quote]

My last female that was spaded didn’t do very on the phenlpropanolamine at all. My Portland vet here in Portland was able to get a lab to mix up estrogen for my dog. Estrogen I think is still available for use for “leaky bladder” which seemed to solve my problem perfectly.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.