Ugly houses in CR….

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Ugly houses in CR….

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    grb1063

In the US you only have to look to Florida and Hawaii. Any wood framing or subflooring is treated or insect resistant wood only such as cypress or redwood. Wood for finishes are tropical hardwoods. Elevated slabs seem to be the norm in CR for upper story floors. I would never even consider using any OSB or engineered wood products in CR…they will not hold up over time. They are very susceptible to moisture which will definitely result in mold. Molds need food (organic matter), warmth and moisture. The elimination of any one of these sources will prevent mold growth, but mositure and warmth in CR are very difficult to eliminate. Cementitious products (CMU,concrete, tile) do not contain organic matter, thus no food source and the reason they are so prevalent in tropical climates.

costaricafinca
    Participant

Avoid wood as much as possible as it only sends up a red flag to all the insects that will move in with you! Cement, steel and glass is the way to go.
    Depending on where you are going to build, really think hard about a ‘water feature on your wall’. It could cause all sorts of humidity problems.Put one on your patio or at your entrance.
    And haven’t you heard of “beauty is in the eye of the beholder”?

Phbrookins

I plan to build on the Carribean coast in Manzanillo. How do people design small contemporary homes with open plans ie. Balinese style without the home feeling like a prison. I get told by everyone that window bars are needed.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

I don’t know what the conditions are in Manzanillo, but I can assure you that window bars are not required everywhere. Some areas a quite secure.

If you do need some level of protection, you might consider a perimeter fence or wall to secure the entire property. And if that won’t work, think about having a clear (or tinted) security film applied to the interiors of all the accessible windows.

Bear in mind, too, that the commonly used sheet metal roofing is very easy for a determined burglar to penetrate. Pull a couple of screws and you’re in. So if you’re building in an area where barriers are necessary, think about making the roof less vulnerable, too.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.