U.S. Bashing?

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum U.S. Bashing?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    countdown

I could have sworn this was a forum on “Costa Rica Living” but the vitriolic “U.S. Bashing” threads seems to have supplanted it. (Sorry Scott, it’s your forum but is seems to have taken a distinctly political bent.) Rabid personal attacks on either (or any) political parties seems far removed from the open exchange on the rigors of life in Costa Rica.

I hope this forum isn’t becoming a political soapbox instead. Railing against what’s “different” from our own experience and beliefs could describe transition into Costa Rican life as well as the political flagellation in other countries.
    CD

Andrew
    Keymaster

You can take the people out of the US and out of the UK but you can’t take the politics out of the people no matter where they live…

Not sure what your definition of ‘bashing’ is but as the father of two American teenagers I feel I have a right to comment on US politics from time to time.

If “US bashing” means constructively criticizing US (and UK or any other country’s) foreign policy then fantastic – Let’s have lots more of that when it’s appropriate!

I guess years ago, the political actions of the US didn’t really affect the rest of the world as much as it does today. Today US foreign policy does affect the rest of the world and unfortunately if their foreign policy continues on the same catastrophic path we will continue to see the same catastrophic results.

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

Texas

Hopefully, things will change-we’ll see next Tuesday.

My niece’s husband is in Afghanistan. He’s been under fire & lost some men. We pray he returns to his wife and two babies. He’s a brave soldier, but I’m mad he is still in danger.

sprite

Countdown sounds like an irrate republican. They are losing their death grip on my country at long last and there are bound to be some sour grapes among them. But that’s the way the cookie crumbles sometimes. Butch up and get used to the political talk. There is nothing wrong with it and it does belong here in this forum. Just look at how popular those political threads are.

countdown

I see that “rabid personal attacks” was a pretty good description.

maravilla

Rabid personal attacks? Where did he call you a moron, or an idiot, or a jacka$$, or any other name? only a republican would describe any criticism or observation about our current political nightmare as rabid personal attacks. Isn’t that what the Bush administration brainwashed (or tried to) us into thinking? That any criticism of the US or its murderous policies was unpatriotic, etc. Many of us have left the US BECAUSE of GWB and the deathgrip of the republicans. Thank GOD I left 4 years ago. I know many people, who thanks to what this administration did to the banking system and its trickle down effect, can no longer even dream of leaving this country because they’re flat broke!!!

countdown

Glad I could give a couple of vehement Democrats a target for their “vitriolic U.S. Bashing” and “Rabid personal attacks on (I guess Republican) political parties”.

Edited on Oct 31, 2008 06:28

BIGWOOD

Yes Scott we should walk away from every slime ball country we waste our young lives trying to save them so they can blow us up later. I like the articles and Costa Rica info. you have on your website it is very informitive but yes it a FAR LEFT WEBSITE that does not like AMERICA.

maravilla

What’s really frightening is to think that anyone agrees with the bush doctrine and what has happened to our global economy because of it. I am not a vehement Democrat. I am simply a person who hates to see my country laid waste because of the criminals who are running it. I’m sick of hearing my friends moan about how much money they’ve lost because they trusted a system that can’t be trusted. I’m sorry for all the retirees I know who lost that money and who will never live long enough to earn it back. I really would like to see Ralph Nader as president, but since there is no chance in hell of that happening I’m supporting Obama, not because he’s a Democrat, but because he has some fresh ideas and isn’t a pawn of the republican party. And don’t even think of using the “S” word to describe Obama — that is just another example of the flagrant propaganda spin machine that the Republicans have been using on our ignorant electorate (such as Joe the Plumber!).

bradbard

Not much for facts or details are you BIGWOOD?

I am 100% American and IT’S MY DUTY AND MY RIGHT TO SPEAK OUT!

1. Walk away from what? Give us an example! You mean walk away after we invade them and killed many of their people? Most of them innocent civilians? Or after we set them up with a friggin monster like Saddam Hussein who we supported?

2. After we helped overthrow the leadership of Iran and supported the Shah? Is that what you are talking about?

3. Which “slime ball country”? Which countries are you talking about?

4. Who exactly are you speaking about when you say they “can blow us up later?”

“There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.”

sprite

There are far right contributors here as well. Both sides come to Costa Rica for their own reasons, some of those reasons may even be political.

We should never have a problem,as Americans, talking to each other. But lately,after eight years, and some could say it has been 28 years, of flag waving, finger pointing, radical right wing, fanatically religious,thieving, lying republican rule, I have to admit I am discouraged and p***** off at fellow citizens who support all that.

I apologize if my previous comments are taken as a personal attack. They were a reaction to the politics which I and miliions of others have been punished with for so long. I hope it is coming to a temporary end Tuesday.

countdown

Thank you Sprite. I understand frustration and finger pointing exist on all sides. Even friends and family have strongly held, differing beliefs. Fortunately, mine tend to make their arguments with supported facts, avoiding generalities and name-calling, or they agree to disagree. As you say, we shouldn’t have a problem talking to each other. Thanks for clarifying.

rfalves

Well, I am not either Dem or Rep. But for those Dem’s maybe you shuld go back and research what party robbed the Social Security Fund, what party started taxing SS benifits, what party raised the retirement age, what party would not put restrictions on Fanie Mae and Freddie Mac, In case you can’t find those facts it was the Dem’s. But because of the way our country ( USA ) is going down the tubes with al the bail outs and other failing finincal woo’s here I am bailing out sooner then later. Ron USCG Ret

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.