Two for the Road

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Two for the Road

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    jerrym
    Participant

David,

Another option to supplelment you income is to have an Internet business with a US address. There are a lot of opportunities (and a lot of rip-offs) when it comes to having an Internet business.

If Alicia has an interest in working as a graphic artist, there is a lot of graphic artist work and a lot of writing that is available on the Internet. You could do this type of work without actually having a website or a business.

Check out these two websites:

To find freelance work for writers and graphic designers, go to

http://www.elance.com

To find frreelance work for computer programmers and coders, go to

http://www.scriptlance.com

At these sites people post work they want done and you bid on what you will do the job for. The person who posted the job will look at the qualifications and the prices bid and select who he wants to do the work.

If this fits your experience and your interest, this could be a possibility. I have used both services from time to time to have creatative work done.

Just my two cents worth.

Jerry Minchey

Jerry… thanks for that! Good info to have because we’ve discussed just that kind of thing recently. I’ve worked as a course writer and proof-reader before (not online) and that just might work for us.
    Davidcmurray, that’s the second time you’ve rained on my parade… I thank you for keeping it real for me. Reality checks and honest info are vital during an expensive, time consuming venture like international moving.
    We’re in the intensive reading phase now… bought several generic CR tourist type books and one called Culture Shock, which is outdated but has some useful historical info in it. I’ll be buying Scotts “How to buy CR real estate…” and would welcome any suggested reading from you folks.
    Thank you all again for the help.
    David & Alicia Olympia WA

Edited on Feb 27, 2008 20:47

rebaragon

David & Alicia, Scott’s book is really imperative when thinking of buying, investing and even to give you an idea of what living in CR entails…Plus it’s a very amenable read. If you would like to learn about the Atlantic Coast of CR (Talamanca). This book is important to understand the flavor of a land and a people that are not always understood nor portrayed fairly by the folks in the Central Valley area.

http://www.amazon.com/What-Happen-Folk-History-Costa-Talamanca/dp/0970567839

There are other books about other areas and different times in CR. Do you read Spanish?

You might also do some searches on this site. There have been some pretty intense dialogues regarding the culture and expat interaction with Ticos/as. However, the best way to get to know CR is by being there. Although you will hear the expression, “I fell in love with CR” over and over on this forum and now more and more around the world…When you come down to it, people fall in love with CR for some similar things and some reasons that are just very personal….Hopefully, you and Alicia will be one of the lucky ones that also gets to love it’s people not just the landscape as you make friends and create an extended family setting in CR. That has been my experience since 1982.

Lastly, CR, along with many places in Latin America, still exudes an enormous amount of magic realism–the most unexpected & wonderful things can happen as can some of the oddest and not so desirable circumstances…Therefore, keep doing your homework regarding the legalities and take heed in the reality checks, but if you both visit and know in your hearts & souls that this is where you would like to LIVE, then dare to imagine it because I have experienced first hand and I have also seen many people do the most interesting and lucrative things in CR while meeting their needs and most certainly surpassing them….Oh, if you decide to get married in the US, make sure you have all of your legal docs (incl marriage cert, degrees, etc.) authenticated by the CR Consul in your area so you don’t have to go back for stuff like that. Best of luck and enjoy the journey of this possibility!

Peg

Well David, on a beach, by a waterfall, either one would be romantic and beautiful. There are so many beautiful spots in CR. Get those 5 people to fly to CR to attend your wedding. We here on WLCR would certainly toast the happy couple. Hold onto your dreams, do your homework, you’ll find a way.
    Buena suerte!

OmniShare
    Participant

DEAR DAVID,
    I have one quick thought: you can certainly live cheaper in CR than most other places that I know of, certainly than of any place in the U.S. So, if you’re trying to get by on $1,300 per month, you’ll be much more likely to do it in CR. I would suggest that there must be a lot of “tourist-related” emlployment for an attractive 25-yr old artsy lady who speaks native English to the tourists. Of course, the question is one of legalities, which you have already addressed. So, your lady can probably supplement your income and you’ll be just fine. I would suggest looking in the area around La Fortuna (not in La Fortuna), as that is a highly visited place by tourists and therefore one that must have tourism-related employment. Perhaps you could start a tourist guide company of the remote areas where you are going to live. An internet- based business could be of help there. Find a place where wildlife and rivers and streams abound, and you’ll find a place where Northamericans want to explore. You could have a ball taking them to the interesting, out-of-the-way places which you and they would enjoy. And, you’d be living in a wonderful paradise, all the while.
    Sounds like a real winner to me. Be brave (not hard for an ex-Maine), embrace CR life, and you’ll be fine.
    OmniShare

We ordered Scotts book today, can’t wait. I think from the eight books, 80+ web sites and blogs/forums etc that we’ve been part of for the last few weeks that we will be very comfortable there living on my retirement. We’ve now actually talked to people who live like we are accustomed to living on slightly less. We tend to live a very basic life… much the same as I did in the Philippines, Guam and Okinawa. You’re not likely to find us living in gated condo communities with razor wire and security guards on a golf course… in fact, we likely won’t go near such places. A small house that needs a little TLC tucked away on enough land to have a garden and some chickens with a decent view is all it takes to make people like us happy. We live that way now and have enjoyed our own little slice of Pura Vida for many years.
    ENjoy!
    David & Alicia
    Olympia WA

BIGWOOD

Hi david my name is scott from ca. my wife and myself purchased a home in CR. we use now for vacation but in the future we plan on staying for 6mos. out of the year. I have traveled there on several occassions prior to buying and in my opinion you would be very pressed to survive on 1,300 a month once you consider food utilities and rent. I have not even mentioned transportation how will you get around cars in CR. are not cheap and not to mention fuel. I would never discourage you from trying it couse I know why you want to do it, the country is beautiful and the people are very friendly but reality is it would be difficult at most for you and your wife to survive on tha amt. without working. I wish you all the luck and if you are ever in Playa Del Coca give me a call.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

David and Alicia, listen carefully to what Scott says.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.