traveling with dog

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum traveling with dog

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    costaricabill
    Participant

Has anyone had experience taking a CR-born dog (small, 5 kilos) to the States via commercial air carrier? What is required to take the dog out of CR and what is requied to take the dog into the States?

alexander69

[quote=”costaricabill”]Has anyone had experience taking a CR-born dog (small, 5 kilos) to the States via commercial air carrier? What is required to take the dog out of CR and what is requied to take the dog into the States?[/quote]

Thanks for asking this question Bill! I am also very interested in any experience that you all have on this subject as we will be bringing our 15 pound dog in November. I heard one needs to have a vet waiting in CR to greet the dog and check it out. We will have all the papers from USA vet and shots within the time frame allowed. Also, has anyone brought a dog as a “carry-on” in first class to San Jose airport and if so what was your experience? Thanks! Alexander

linstev44

I brought a cat as a carry on last July. They just wanted to see the same papers that the airline had to see at the beginning of the trip. The vet health certificate, the USDA certificate and the shot records (bring extra copies). I also brought another cat and a dog in cargo. They brought them to me at the luggage area, and we all went through together. I understand now that the animals in cargo have to go to the customs facility. I did not need a vet to do anything.

maravilla

you do not need a vet waiting for you at the airport. there are customs agents to do that assuming the dog is traveling with you on the same flight and not shipped cargo on a separate flight. you need your USDA international health certificate and that’s it. our dogs travel in the cabin with us, and we have brought them both down here 7 or 8 times, and never had a problem.

jafranz

No one has answered the question regarding taking the dog to the US

maravilla

most vets can help you with this. it’s pretty much the same process as bringing the dog from the States. you need a health certificate and a valid rabies vaccination (x many days prior to flight and health exam done x days prior). apparently it’s not a big deal. a friend of mine did it last year but she went to the place at the airport to get the papers stamped, but my vet told me he could have it all done so i wouldn’t have to do anything but show up at the airport.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.