Transferring Money to Costa Rica

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Transferring Money to Costa Rica

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Antonic

Is it better to wire money into account in C.R. or bring bank check when bringing more than $10,000.00 U.S. into C.R.?

GringoTico

Wire it. You can’t lose it, and foreign bank checks, even though certified, can take several weeks to clear depending on their origin.

Antonic

Thank you for your good advice, Gringo Tico!

alexgil

I just found out there is a maximum allowance for some banks (e.g. banco Costa Rica) of US$50,000 per month before they will hold the money pending you producing evidence that the money is to be used legally in CR and not to buy drugs. 🙂

Antonic

Thankyou alexgil I wish i know real information re bringing money to Costa Rica and wich way it the best way to go?? we are coming to Costa Rica next month May 07 we sold the house so we hafe to bring oll money with us we planing to stay in Costa Rica for ever if emigration will permit us to do so .Some body say the best way is to wire money some body say to bring bank check it is confusing we like some help on this since we coming from Australia and we not caming back we love Costa Rica thankyou oll for suport special thaks to oliver for wonderfool wepside we love Costa Rica .com.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Antonic, wire the money to an existing bank account in Costa Rica. If you bring any kind of check, it can take as long as 45 days to clear and be credited to your account. The same goes for Travelers’ Cheques.

Antonic

Thankyou davidcmurray this is what we going to do thanks again for suport. Antonic

alexgil

I just moved a bunch of money on a Swift transfer. It cost me $20 from my US bank, and $20 to be recieved into my Banco Costa Rica US$ bank account. It took less than 48hrs to go through and all my problems were with my US bank! The money did get held in San Jose for a checking process but the guy called the bank account contact info and left a message in English with all his contact info for us to call him. It only took a fax from me justifying the reason for the transfer and a conversation or two (in English) with the guy in the San Jose banch of banco CR. This is one of 5 transfers I’ve done this way. They all worked out well and it was fast and efficient getting the Swift info from my bank in Costa Rica, some provide it on their websites (in English) and my bank are very rural and 2 hrs + from San Jose. As Dave says, bank cheques are a pain in the ass. While you get set up you might want to leave a bit in the bank in the US and draw it out with your Visa card at any ATM incase you have cash flow issues with the transfer or life in general 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.