Tires?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    cindyc

Hi All,

What kind of tires are readily available in CR? I want to put a new set on my truck before I bring it down and would like to buy something that can be replaced in case I hit a pothole!

CC

DavidCMurray
    Participant

This is tough, Cindy. Most major tire brands are represented in Costa Rica, and many of the common tire model names are seen here. That is not to say, however, that the tires available here are the same ones that you can purchase in the U.S. Some domestically produced tires may not meet the U.S. standards that the tires you purchase in the U.S. will meet. Other tires, made in other countries, may be exactly the same item.

I wouldn’t lose a lot of sleep over this matter. When the time comes to replace tires, some diligent shopping will reveal a good choice. If you destroy a tire on a weekend, whatever is locally available probably won’t be the same as what you’ve just ruined anyway, so you’ll either have to take whatever you can get or expect a delay and an inconvenience trying to match whatever is already on your truck.

With all the bases you have to cover in a move to Costa Rica, this concern should be very low on your list.

cindyc

Thanks very much, it is rather low but I thought it might be worthy of some information. Are the tires in CR, I’m guessing, more expensive? I guess I’m asking because the import laws seem to indicate that used tires are not allowed in a container except if they are on a vehicle. We were thinking maybe it would be better to leave the used tires on and get new ones when we are down there so we have some spares.

Thank you for reminding me of reality too; there won’t be an “Americas Tire” on every street corner. What was I thinking?

Cindy

Andrew
    Keymaster

Firestone is a HUGE company here and if I am not mistaken, recently agreed to invest another $30 million in their Costa Rica operations

I have seen most major brands here and recently bought 4 superb Pirelli tires (specifically for very wet muddy conditions) for my Toyota RAV (4X4) and I am delighted with them. They allow me to go places that I could not go before and this car is great ….

Scott Oliver
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

DavidCMurray
    Participant

So, Scott, where did you buy your Pirellis? Did you shop around for price? How were they balanced?

And . . . How are they on dry roads which is almost exclusively what I drive on?

Andrew
    Keymaster

1. I bought them from Mauricio – the ‘best car mechanic in Costa Rica’ who has his shop up in Heredia somewhere. Mauricio Artavia 849-7244, 386-8669, 236-9348 He does NOT speak English very well but I believe his wife does.

To be frank, I have no idea where it is because he always comes here to Escazu, picks up my car, takes it away does the RTV or whatever service or repairs and brings it back in the afternoon.

The car is always immaculately clean when he brings it back too…

2. According to La Nacion this morning:

“$50-million investment in Costa Rica.

Bridgestone Firestone Costa Rica will invest $50 million in the next five years to modernize its equipment, in order to reset the course of its production. The company will focus on the production of radial tires for both the domestic and the international markets, and will leave to Asian manufacturers the business of low-price tires.

The firm estimates selling 4 million of these better quality tires abroad this year alone. The sales to the United States, Central America, and the Caribbean will amount to $140 million, firm sources admitted. The plant in Costa Rica the third largest in Latin America after Sao Paulo, Brazil, and Cuernavaca, Mexico started operations in 1967, with 200 employees and a daily production of 425 tires; today the daily output is 12,000 tires and 1,000 workers partake in the operation.”

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLOoveCostaRica.com

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.