Tiquicia Restaurant – Escazu/San Jose

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Tiquicia Restaurant – Escazu/San Jose

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    itsbutch

I am having the hardest time finding this restaurant again. I was there last year and earlier this year – both times the cab driver went different ways and it was at night.

Can anyone give me directions from the main road in Escazu. I now live in Atenas……unfortunately the only place I remember is the KFC on the right side when I came into Escazu. Both times I took a taxi from San Jose…….Now that I am living in CR I really want to make it there on my own in my own car….

Thanks to anyone who can give me the directions (from KFC in Escazu???)

Butch

Gr1ng0T1c0

Tiquicia is a famous typical restaurant “mirador” (scenic mountain-side establishment with a great view) above Escazu. Like many such places, it is a bit difficult to get there, what with all the winding roads, splits, switchbacks, and un-named streets. Good maps are either hard to come by or non-existant. “Up”, and “down” are much more usefull indicators than the cardinal points. Because of all this, written directions would be complicated. This one in particular seems more difficult due to the rough, steep roads as you get closer. I’ve driven there at least 6-8 times and I still get lost.

But you’re never really lost if you use the universal Costa Rican technique of getting somewhere – ask people as you go. Giving directions is a national pastime. Just be prepared for something like the following (fictictous directions, but actual landmarks none-the-less):

“Turn left at Matute Gomez’s house (a long-dead military figure) until you get to where the Higueron tree used to be. Go up 125 meters, and turn right when you see a barking dog.”

If you can’t speak Spanish, just say “Tiquicia?”. You’ll hear these impossible directions in a language you can’t understand, and then they’ll point. Just follow the finger.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.