things you wished you would have moved to Costa Rica and didn’t

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum things you wished you would have moved to Costa Rica and didn’t

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    bob switzer

We are sending down a container and would like to have some input on what things we should make sure we pack, or things that are hard to find or of not good quality in Costa Rica

We are sending a car, after that any suggestions?
    (household items, tools, construction supplies, household appliances ….any or all things, large or small?)

Does anyone know of a good book that might contain a list of must pack things for shipping?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks

davidd

[quote=”bob switzer”]We are sending down a container and would like to have some input on what things we should make sure we pack, or things that are hard to find or of not good quality in CR.
    (household items, tools, construction supplies, household appliances ….any or all things, large or small?)
    Does anyone know of a good book that might contain a list of must pack things for shipping?
    Thanks[/quote]

Bob

Please don’t forget the Kit Kats!!! 🙂

costaricafinca
    Participant

A lot depends on how and where you intend to live.
    Are you going to live a simpler life?
    Do you intend to entertain a lot?
    No one can tell you, what you require.
    But don’t bring the Nicknacks, or all the fussy decorative items that have space for the insects to build a community.

If you intend to live in a condo you won’t need you lawnmower…:roll:

Imxploring
    Participant

[quote=”bob switzer”]We are sending down a container and would like to have some input on what things we should make sure we pack, or things that are hard to find or of not good quality in Costa Rica

Thanks[/quote]

Here’s a few.
    1. Quality tools both electic and hand tools.
    2. Electronics and computers
    3. Good quality name brand appliances.
    4. Personal care, health, and beauty items you use.

While some of the items I listed may be available in CR others are not or are much more expensive. In other cases the quality of the CR item is just not the same. In eight years I’ve seen a great increase in the range of items available. If you have the availability of putting this stuff in a container you’ll most likely cover your shipping cost and then some on the savings.

I’m constantly bringing down hair dye, fixodent, and ibuprofen for good friends because they it either can’t get what they need or the price is way too high in CR.

costaricafinca
    Participant

Regarding bringing ‘Good quality name brand appliances’. Often, these appliances will [u]not[/u] fit into existing homes here, although you could try to sell them here. Used to be a booming market for these here, but they are now available quite easily, and purchasers can select the right size.

Imxploring
    Participant

[quote=”costaricafinca”]Regarding bringing ‘Good quality name brand appliances’. Often, these appliances will [u]not[/u] fit into existing homes here, although you could try to sell them here. Used to be a booming market for these here, but they are now available quite easily, and purchasers can select the right size.[/quote]

Good point. While most American styled homes/condos here will have enough room for standard sized appliances you need to aware that a Tico home may not.

The biggest difference in my experience is the space provided for the refrigerator in the kitchen. Seems Costa Ricans don’t feel the need to have a 40 cubic foot refrigerator!

[quote=”costaricafinca”]Regarding bringing ‘Good quality name brand appliances’. Often, these appliances will [u]not[/u] fit into existing homes here, although you could try to sell them here. Used to be a booming market for these here, but they are now available quite easily, and purchasers can select the right size.[/quote]

A friend brought brand new appliances in a container, the washer did not work and they had to get it fixed in San Jose and off course pay for the repair 👿 Guarantee given in the U.S. does not apply in C.R. and it would be too expensive to send a washer back to the U.S.

When I moved to C.R. 21+ years ago I brought my clothes (the summer “collection” only 😀 ) my mountain bike, my camera and about 30 books. This was my “starter kit” . We rented a semi-furnished Tico house (bugs, bugs,bugs……) and the first things I bought was a small gas stove, a refrigerator and a horse with sattle for transportation. The rest came over time. Now when I move I need a big truck, this is when I wish those old days back.

bob switzer

[quote=”davidd”][quote=”bob switzer”]We are sending down a container and would like to have some input on what things we should make sure we pack, or things that are hard to find or of not good quality in CR.
    Thanks[/quote]

Please don’t forget the Kit Kats!!! :)[/quote]

Bob
    Ha! will also not forget the O’Henrys and the Ice Wine from the interior

rf2cr
    Participant

That is a difficult one, I would bring sheets and towels, hobby supplies and good quality saucepans. If you have good kitchen small appliances, a good sewing machine – I would bring those as well.

We shipped lots and lots of books and nothing else and have brought the above items as we have made trips back to California. The rest, you can find here and someone to fix them.

It is hard to imagine but it really is surprising how unimportant so much of what we live with really are. Start with the minimum and add as you find you need it.

[quote=”Rf2cr”]
    ….it really is surprising how unimportant so much of what we live with really are. Start with the minimum and add as you find you need it.
    [/quote]

Very true. Every time I move to another house, I wonder why I have so much stuff I never use and give most of it away.

Doug Ward

Make damn sure the car is new enough to handle the 2014 emissions test.Example: A 2004 needs to pass the emissions of an equivalent 2013-14. I’ve seen people bring their super neato Chevy V8 powered 80’s monster Jeep only to be laughed at. It AINT going on the road here.

Newser

If you are a reader, don’t bother with books but plan to bring a Kindle or I-Pad and get established with your home library for borrowing e-books before you leave. In Costa Rica you will find that books tend to get moldy and smelly because of the tropical weather and limited use of air conditioning. Also be aware that any framed photos you bring must be matted to prevent the photo from sticking to the glass and deteriorating.

jodybobk

Bob,
    Depending where your home is a Razor/4wheeler is a great thing to have, lot easier getting around short distance.
    Joe

[quote=”bob switzer”]We are sending down a container and would like to have some input on what things we should make sure we pack, or things that are hard to find or of not good quality in Costa Rica

Thanks[/quote]

maxdevil

Wow, this is a loaded question. Sheets and towels are usually not very good quality here, unless you shop in some very expensive store in Escazu or one of the expensive neighborhoods in San Jose. Depending on where you intend to live, in a Gringo built home or Tico built, you will find that large appliances may not fit in a Tico-style house. Houses tend to get dirty quickly here, no matter how many screens you have on all the windows and doors. Bugs get in no matter what you do. I hate bugs and I am really frantic about closing my doors immediately after I or someone comes in the house, but I still find them dead or alive. Many houses here don’t come with closets. Small closed areas tend to encourage mold and mildew, so opened closets are much better suited to this climate. I have had shelves installed all over my house, and yes, it looks messy but I can always put a curtain in front of all my shelves to hide what’s behind. I might do that at some point in time. OK, that is it for now. Maxine

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.