They moved to Costa Rica in 2007

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum They moved to Costa Rica in 2007

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    caliskatari
    Participant

Its not just Costa Rica that is changing, its everywhere. At least Costa Rica today is way better off then the US in so many ways. Does anyone really want to think what this planet will be like in 50 years? Look at what has happened in the last 10, and multiply it by 100X. Robots, cloning and DNA modification, mass spying programs, pollution from so many different sources its impossible to count, government/corporate (one word) control of all resources, enslavement of the population through taxation and dependence, wars and killing for economic benefits (only)..

Its here, its now, happening today. Does anyone really want to think that far into the future? Just enjoy life while its good, enjoy today, enjoy tomorrow.. that is, if you are lucky enough to be in a position to enjoy it.. many people on this planet aren’t – they are suffering in one way or the other, either mentally of physically. Most of the ones that are suffering mentally simply do not realise their lifestyles are stressful and damaging (and thus unhappy), nor do they have the open-mindedness to change it.

The sad thing is that so many Americans actually have the economic resources and ability to live a happy life here in Costa Rica. But they have been programed to think otherwise, which also has to do with thinking to far into the future.. Will I have a big enough pension to just stop working?.. that’s a big worry and question for many people, and is what keeps so many people working into their late 60’s and 70’s. Its the “Money mentality” that goes along with all those other horrible things that are happening on this planet. Its the way to keep people in the system, working, paying taxes, and being taken advantage of – is the mentality that you cannot live a happy life without money, or less of it at least.

caliskatari
    For someone only 25 years of age, you are wise beyond your age! You give me hope for the upcoming younger generation, who can look outside the box!

ticorealtor

Nice article but is this promoting illegal behavior? What about perpetual tourism?
    What if we wrote a artical about living in the U.S. and how everyone can walk across the boarder and live?
    Why don’t they shine a light on that subject and say that not everyone can come to live in Costa Rica they have to be legal?

Andrew
    Keymaster

[quote=”ticorealtor”]Nice article but is this promoting illegal behavior? What about perpetual tourism?
    What if we wrote a artical about living in the U.S. and how everyone can walk across the boarder and live?
    Why don’t they shine a light on that subject and say that not everyone can come to live in Costa Rica they have to be legal?[/quote]

This forum thread is discussing a CNN article about a vibrant, happy young American couple living in Costa Rica…. And a great mayonnaise recipe…

I don’t believe CNN touched on their residency status but, if you feel they are promoting illegal behaviour, please feel free to contact CNN and don’t forget to come back and let us know what they say.

I can’t wait!

Scott

waggoner41

[quote=”maravilla”]if you have chickens, you have plenty of eggs and can make your own mayo, which is about 1000% better thany anything you can buy and it’s really easy to make.[/quote]

We’re getting there. So far we have been working on getting the staples together.

My response was in reference to another comment by DV on buying mayo.:lol:

waggoner41

[quote=”caliskatari”] Will I have a big enough pension to just stop working?.. that’s a big worry and question for many people, and is what keeps so many people working into their late 60’s and 70’s. Its the “Money mentality” that goes along with all those other horrible things that are happening on this planet. Its the way to keep people in the system, working, paying taxes, and being taken advantage of – is the mentality that you cannot live a happy life without money, or less of it at least.[/quote]

Although I agree that the typical American is tied up in the concerns that you mention some of us lived a life quite differently than you depict.
    Some of us contributed to the system in a positive way rather than play our way through life contributing little. The taxes I paid provided for the infrastructure that was needed to make my life worth living like the roads to my favorite fishing spots.

I took each day as it came and didn’t worry about the future except where my kids were concerned. I enjoyed the work that I did until I retired at 67 and I paid my taxes willingly and without complaint.
    Nothing much has changed with our move to Costa Rica. I still stay busy doing the things I did before I retired and I still pay taxes here as I did in the States.

It’s all a matter of perspective isn’t it?

*Lotus

[quote=”Scott”][quote=”DavidCMurray”]We’ve been here six years. My only regret is that we didn’t come sooner.[/quote]

Me too mate!

Had I arrived in Costa Rica in 1985 – at age 25 – instead of New York City, goodness knows what fun I would have had …

Of course the negative side of that fun would the increased number of responsibilities… I would probably have had enough children by now to start my own soccer team 😆

But all in all, I am one very happy man![/quote]

It happened just as it was supposed to happen Scott:D

waggoner41

[quote=”DavidCMurray”] Sometimes it isn’t the destination but the journey.[/quote]

No matter where we have been or what we have done it looks like most of us a pretty satisfied with where we have ended up.

It doesn’t seem to matter whether we beat our heads against society or just went with the flow in our previous lives it’s here, it’s now and life is good.

2bncr

Ticorealtor,

OK two things:

First: Do you follow the exact letter of the law? Please reply to this question.

Second thing: perpetual tourism is legal.

This is a great article although I would not call it a balanced one. Super well written and oozing with atmosphere, romance and fantasy.

Can people make their Costa Rica dream work. Sure they can. But you have to be a fit, as its not a one size fits all destination.

Costa Rica is a great place to be free. I whole heartedly agree that the more stuff the less free. I think the question is how much freedom do we need for ourselves.

Many worthwhile things restrict ones freedom: children being a big one. But what is ones goal – happiness or responsibility. responsibility brings a deeper satisfaction and freedom brings tremendous happiness.

Its a balance. If you are so free that you blow with the wind then you may find putting down roots a calling, but if you have anchored your self deeply and life is a regrettable routine than your happiness level is low and you may need some freedom.

Can you own stuff without it owning you, Can you care enough to participate and help improve things without becoming a zealot to your cause?

Its all a balance. Priorities change with the bodies biological composition. What you wanted in your 20 may not be what you want in your 40s.

So I heavily agree with Scott that it is quite an accomplishment to have 4 years of happiness.

A fantastic article that is probably more about values than it is Costa Rica. In this case I say these people are a fit and Costa Rica facilitates who they are.

That should be the factor regarding who does and who does not move here. Does it fit who you are?

Not do you fit what is Costa Rica?

In other words, how will Costa rica affect you: rather than how will you affect Costa Rica (how will you change the country and its people to fit your needs / something many unsuspecting end up trying to do)

If you are trying to adjust, adapt and fit yourself to Costa Rica you most likely will be unhappy here.

I am talking about fitting your core personality not the various adjustments that come with moving into a different culture,

So if you have to change who you are to fit here, I would say you may want to think twice. It seems these people know what was important to them and who they are, took stock of that and determined Costa Rica was a fit.

They appear not to have come here trying to duplicate their US lifestyle for less.

Andrew
    Keymaster

[quote=”2bncr”]Its all a balance. Priorities change with the bodies biological composition. What you wanted in your 20 may not be what you want in your 40s.

In other words, how will Costa rica affect you: rather than how will you affect Costa Rica (how will you change the country and its people to fit your needs / something many unsuspecting end up trying to do)

If you are trying to adjust, adapt and fit yourself to Costa Rica you most likely will be unhappy here.

I am talking about fitting your core personality not the various adjustments that come with moving into a different culture,

So if you have to change who you are to fit here, I would say you may want to think twice. It seems these people know what was important to them and who they are, took stock of that and determined Costa Rica was a fit.

They appear not to have come here trying to duplicate their US lifestyle for less.[/quote]

Excellent, insightful comments – thank you for sharing….

Scott

waggoner41

[quote=”2bncr”] I am talking about fitting your core personality not the various adjustments that come with moving into a different culture,

They appear not to have come here trying to duplicate their US lifestyle for less.[/quote]

We came to Costa Rica with no expectations other than it was less expensive to live here than in the States giving us the opportunity to do things we could not do in the States. ith inflation hitting here as it is in the States it is nowe costing us what it did when we moved. We adjusted as we would have had to do in the States.

We spoke no Spanish, knew nothing of the culture and based our decision on the beauty of the country and the fact that the people are friendly, helpful and generous. The people react in direct response to our attitude toward them.

For the first year culture shock and stress of trying to get Costa Rica to fit me cost me 1/4 of my bodyweight. My Tico friends helped me through the transition and as time goes by we live more like the Ticos. It’s a matter of flexibility.
    The idea that the Ticos are not as happy as we think they are is more a matter of perspective than actuality. I see them as more content with their lives than Americans tend to be.

I’m one of those guys with “stuff”, mostly tools, and it does tie one down to a certain extent but that’s OK.

Life is good.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Please see the response from the author of the book Nadine Hays Pisani at:

[ https://www.welovecostarica.com/members/cfmbb/messages.cfm?threadid=ED7A70C1-24E8-5ED2-F1A6E4B3E4B72F74%5D

Scott

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.