These successful mysterious online businesses

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum These successful mysterious online businesses

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    ibwonet

Thanks for a great site Scott and this is my first post after purchasing your book.

At 58 and planning for my 4th trip to Costa Rica I am seriously exploring retirement here. Yes I have dreams and am hard working and optimistic but I am also a realist.

I do not have the finances to simply come to CR with a large fistfull of cash and as they say … live happily ever after. I will still need to make a living.

Time and time again I see comments about those who state casually that they are simply working online from their location in CR. But whenever I try and ferret out more details about these mysterious “online positions or careers” I come up with dead ends or crazy online marketing schemes.

Obviously when one has acquired such a great opportunity as online work they may not want to freely roll out a welcome mat to competitors but it all still seems so mysterious.

Am I to finally believe that online work for ex-pats is some sort of internet myth?

It would be great to have some light shed on this one. Thanks so much and I appreciate the site .

costaricafinca
    Participant

Most that work at online business, were already established in them and worked from home before they moved here.

[url=http://www.costaricalaw.com/Immigration-and-Residency/residency-general-information-and-summary.html]To move here legally,[/url] you WILL need a fistful of cash ($60,000 X 2) to apply as a [i]Rentista[/i] or a guaranteed for life pension of at least $1000 per month.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Thank you for your question ibwonet and I can certainly understand why you are frustrated.

I would suggest that the majority of “online” business “opportunities” advertised are probably scams…

Like any other business, it takes a lot of hard work before you make any decent money and in whatever field you choose there will be many, many competitors.

My “online business” has been successful only because I have worked at it for ten years. For about five of those years I was working about 80 hours a week…

Scott

china3323
    Participant

Just google “starting a blog to make money” or something like that. You will come across many ideas and they are legit.

I manage a blog about animal rescues that thousands of people read. When we talk about certain products that we use for example “Have a Heart traps” for rescueing feral cats, we include a link to an affilliate store that they can buy the trap from.

When someone clicks the link and buys that product, we earn a percentage. Your blog can be about anything that attracts readers.

It can take some time to get going but you can make a great income. I have a friend who’s blog is “The Paleo Mama” that she started 2 years ago and is now making over $2000.00 a month.

It does require hours of sitting in front a computer, but so does a lot of other jobs. You can do this type of work from anywhere in the world.

waggoner41

I have two sons who work through the internet. One is a part owner of a small but well established Internet Service Provider providing Internet services to their local community. The other creates web sites for the clientele of the ISP.

Either or both of them could move to Costa Rica and continue their work paying U.S. taxes and having their income direct deposited into their U.S. bank accounts.

It is completely legal since the work is in the U.S. and the salaries are paid into U.S. accounts and could be drawn from ATM machines in colones here.

sprite

I started my plans to move to Costa Rica when I was 56. I intend to retire as a pensionista.
    I manage to pull out some small change from day trading in the derivatives market from my Miami home…but it took over 5 years of daily practice and study and some extremely costly costly software.

It is NOT an easy way to make a buck and it is not a satisfying way to make a living, at least not for me, as it produces nothing of value for society.

Another reason why I would not recommend this to anyone is that I do not believe it has a future.I do not know how long the derivative market will continue…it seems like everything is on the brink of collapse these days. Also, it is my understanding that most people who try this fail.

But it can be done from anywhere a good internet connection can be had. Perhaps there are other legal ways to make some money on the internet but I am dubious. Hard work and devotion of time seem to be the only way to make it in any endeavor. I wish you luck.

davidd

You should try amazon.com and become a kindle author- I have friends that have 50 titles and make $5000 per month kindle sales.

or try adsense

or affiliate marketing

or lead generation for business

or CPA marketing

or work on a specific skillset and offer it on sites like fivver

or ebay craigslist

or PPC marketing

or video marketing

or membership site

or email marketing

or Blogging

etc etc

in todays world we are so fortunate to live in such opportunity and abundance.. its truly amazing!!!

the biggest challenge is these self limiting beliefs that stop any growth.

wash_me

I am 48 and plan to move to CR when I am 55. My goal is pull 1/2% to 1% out of the stock market per month to live on. If you have $500k to work with you could make $2500 to $5000 month. Stock trading is not easy and takes years to be profitable, I mostly trade options.

sprite

[quote=”wash_me”]I am 48 and plan to move to CR when I am 55. My goal is pull 1/2% to 1% out of the stock market per month to live on. If you have $500k to work with you could make $2500 to $5000 month. Stock trading is not easy and takes years to be profitable, I mostly trade options.[/quote]

Wonderful!
    Now, what is your plan B for when all this shite comes down? Working past your 60’s is not much of an option.

wash_me

[quote=”sprite”][quote=”wash_me”]I am 48 and plan to move to CR when I am 55. My goal is pull 1/2% to 1% out of the stock market per month to live on. If you have $500k to work with you could make $2500 to $5000 month. Stock trading is not easy and takes years to be profitable, I mostly trade options.[/quote]

Wonderful!
    Now, what is your plan B for when all this shite comes down? Working past your 60’s is not much of an option.[/quote]

Most things in life workout for the best and you can Short the market or buy Put options in a down market to make money too, these are things you can’t do in your 401k.

John

Imxploring
    Participant

[quote=”wash_me”]I am 48 and plan to move to CR when I am 55. My goal is pull 1/2% to 1% out of the stock market per month to live on. If you have $500k to work with you could make $2500 to $5000 month. Stock trading is not easy and takes years to be profitable, I mostly trade options.[/quote]

Risky plan in today’s world and where we most likely are headed. With a nest egg of $500k a simple low cost life in CR might be possible without the stock market play. Think real estate rentals…. something tangible. Farmland is also a good play. Best of luck on your dreams!

sprite

[quote=”wash_me”][quote=”sprite”][quote=”wash_me”]I am 48 and plan to move to CR when I am 55. My goal is pull 1/2% to 1% out of the stock market per month to live on. If you have $500k to work with you could make $2500 to $5000 month. Stock trading is not easy and takes years to be profitable, I mostly trade options.[/quote]

Wonderful!
    Now, what is your plan B for when all this shite comes down? Working past your 60’s is not much of an option.[/quote]

Most things in life workout for the best and you can Short the market or buy Put options in a down market to make money too, these are things you can’t do in your 401k.

John[/quote]

I short the market on a daily basis. Perhaps you do not understand my point. When the economy is reset, there may not be a derivative market or even a stock market that one can short sell. This is not a far fetched possibility. It is a probability.

sprite

Sweikert,

This is a complicated subject. Essentially, the current fiat currency, world wide monetary system, being administered by a mostly European banking cartel, is soon to come to its mathematically certain end. There may be a major reset in how we manage the planet’s resources. In the meantime, the banking cartel (central bankers) has a plan in place which will replace many fiat currencies with one fiat currency, mostly digital, in order to continue the hollowing out of all economies.It is a control mechanism which enriches the elites and enslaves the rest if us.

Imxploring
    Participant

[quote=”sweikert925″][quote=”sprite”]When the economy is reset…[/quote]

What does that mean?[/quote]

When REALITY replaces the FANTASY that the world is currently living in. We all got a slight taste of it a few years back, the future will hold even more pain. If you have any doubt Steve just look at what is happening in Detroit and other places around the world.

The current “system” cannot be maintained on it’s present path. This isn’t the rant of some doomsday preppers. Even the US GAO has issued statements in it’s annual audit to the effect that current fiscal policy in the US is unsustainable. Source http://www.gao.gov/products/GAO-13-271R (issued Jan 17, 2013)

Major changes are coming and should have be made a long time ago when the pain would have been tolerable. Now the changes and the depth of the hole the US is in will force a major reset of values, expectations, lifestyle, and freedoms.

We are starting to enter the end game when the central banks just give up on pretending that currency has value and just start printing with total abandon! Just look at what the ECB and the Central Bank in Japan are doing. Then look at “QE to infinity” that the Fed has embarked on. There are countries positioning themselves for the mess headed to this planet, China being one. The US is not among them, apparently the powers that be think this is an neverending road that they’re kicking the can down, but it’s not.

Being aware of the future is the only way to prepare.

johnnyh

[quote=”sweikert925″]My goodness you 2 are a gloomy pair.

Well I can’t predict the future any more than you can but I would like to point just a few things out.

The US has been in worse financial shape than we are now and survived.

The genius of capitalism is that uses the power of greed to fight the excesses of greed. I see no reason why that won’t continue to be true.

We have a huge budget problem but as recently as 12 years ago we had a balanced budget (remember?). We can do that again.

Between 1976 and 2000 federal revenue grew an average of 7.6% per year. If federal revenue had grown by only half that from 2000 onward we would currently have a balanced federal budget.

In that same 24 year span the federal government collected in taxes an average of 18.4% of GDP. Since 2009 the average federal revenue collected is 15.4%. We are NOT overtaxed.

In 2010 and 2011 the deficit peaked at $1.3 trillion. By 2015 the deficit is projected to be less than half that – $576 billion. (And that’s with the relatively weak growth that we’ve experienced in the past 3 years).

People are pretty resourceful and any problem created by humans can be solved by humans.

Source: http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/budget/historicals%5B/quote%5D

I also wish I was more optimistic, but as has been stated, there’s just no way we can get out of a 17 to 18 trillion Dollar debt plus another 200 trillion in unfunded liabilities, and a quadrillion of derivatives. It can’t be repaired. Not by this administration and the Fed that owns it. They just keep printing those Dollars to no end. 😯

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.