There’s oil there in Limon province!

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum There’s oil there in Limon province!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    johnnyh

From La Nacion today, a short blurb from 1963 that oil was found at the births of the Sixaola and Yorkin rivers in Limon province at 4500 feet.

So the petroleum is there, but getting it out is another matter what with the dangers of oil spills. It reminds me of the disasters that American companies wrought to Ecuador.

So now we have to deal with concessions Nicaragua is giving foreign oil companies to explore for oil off its Pacific and Caribbean coastlines.

I have mixed feelings for this, first because I remember the British Petroleum oil spill in the gulf, and what a disaster that was.

Yet this income will help Nicaragua, specially Danny Boy who will probably reap the majority of the profits. One big oil spill in Nicaraguan waters will affect all of Central America.

Andrew
    Keymaster

I think it would be a better idea to take advantage of all the sun, wind, geothermal and hydro-energy we have access to BEFORE we ever begin to think about exploring for oil in this beautiful little country ….

Costa Rica is missing the boat on the “environmental” aspect of things…

We have more than enough water but we don’t manage it effectively, we have enough sunshine to power everything forever but we don’t exploit that or make it affordable and continued political gridlock prevents us from exploiting the geothermal energy because they are nearly all located inside ‘national parks.’

What do you think?

Scott

lyncota
    Participant

Agree, Scott! And Talamanca does not usually “roll over” upon command:
    http://news.co.cr/proud-caribbean-communities-in-costa-rica-struggle-for-historic-land-rights/24815/

davidd

Scott

you are 100%

focus on the renewable s as we have the energy available.

I love the fact our little country generates much of its power alternative energy.

I believe costa rica is a precious gem in spite of themselves and the only thing that can do us in is

the Americanization of our little country.

culture
    media
    fast food
    immoral government
    immoral society
    violence

did you read the aussie athlete that was gunned down for no reason other than it was the thing to do at the moment

have you heard any word from the Muslim??? or Al Sharpton

disgusting

[quote=”Scott”]I think it would be a better idea to take advantage of all the sun, wind, geothermal and hydro-energy we have access to BEFORE we ever begin to think about exploring for oil in this beautiful little country ….

Costa Rica is missing the boat on the “environmental” aspect of things…

We have more than enough water but we don’t manage it effectively, we have enough sunshine to power everything forever but we don’t exploit that or make it affordable and continued political gridlock prevents us from exploiting the geothermal energy because they are nearly all located inside ‘national parks.’

What do you think?

Scott
    [/quote]

Kwhite1

I think CR should invest billions of Colons into “green jobs”, it worked extremely well in the states….oh wait, no it didn’t, never mind.

VictoriaLST

Thorium Salt Reactors. Look it up.

Wind power kills tens of thousands of bats and birds but that’s OK because it’s, you know, “natural energy”. Duh. Politicians know little to nothing about real science and don’t want to strain to learn or strain to explain it to the public. “Natural” power is so much easier on the “brain”.

Thorium Salt Reactors. Look it up.

pharg
    Participant

[quote=”sweikert925″]
    The only means that I am aware of to tap directly into solar energy is by means of solar panels. Are you proposing that CR install solar panel farms as the US does in the desert southwest? Do we really want thousands of these taking up space all over the landscape?[/quote]

Much of electricity is generated by steam turbines. The difference is that the ultimate energy source to make steam comes from many sources [coal,oil,gas,nuclear, geo]. Pilot projects have used mirrors to collect, focus, and concentrate solar energy to several hundreds (thousands?)degrees Celsius to make steam – negating the need for hectares of solar panels. (and also negating the need for potential killing of anything that flies, via wind turbines). Not practical for individual homes, but becoming less expensive for governments that are innovative and forward-looking. (Well, that lets C.R. out of the running).:roll:

VictoriaLST

US Fish and Wildlife Service, Newsmax, Fox News. Many more.

VictoriaLST

No different light. If we can avoid killing birds and bats, perhaps we should. We will continue to require housing and power lines. But there are alternatives to wind power.

VictoriaLST

Ya just make me tired

VictoriaLST

Still making me tired

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.