The Truth About Working In Costa Rica

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum The Truth About Working In Costa Rica

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    audears

Sorry if this was addressed on the old boards and is a repetitive question, but I just joined today! I’ve heard and read that Americans cannot work in Costa Rica if “it is a job that a Costa Rican can do”. How would I go about finding exactly what that entails? (I am a medical professional). Thanks for any information you can offer!

Andrew
    Keymaster

To a big extent, it will depend on your field and the level of specialization

It’s my understanding that non-Costa Rican medical professionals that wish to work in Costa Rica MUST work for the state system for a year before being allowed to get involved in private practise.

But you’ll get a different answer from many people.

There are some things where you just need to be here to be able to dig up the correct information.

Are there any foreign Doctors on this board? Help!

Scott

frizby

I have a question about practicing law. How can a US attorney get admitted to practice? Can I take an exam? Is there work as a paralegal if not as an attorney?

terrycook

God…who wants another U.S. attorney to go to Costa Rica…Please no more of that needs to be brought to C.R

frizby

Hey, come on now! They are not all losers. Just trying to find a way to get away from this race and still earn my keep.

Andrew
    Keymaster

A Canadian friend of mine has just past all the exams and is about to be a fully-fledged Costa Rican attorney and I will ask him to comment if he has the time.

You do have to study Costa Rican law and pass the Costa Rican bar exams which will take years AND of course it’s all in Spanish.

Only after that, would you be allowed to practise law and although nowhere compares to the number of attorneys in the USA, there are MANY attorneys here.

Scott – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

guru

When considering working in Costa Rica you might want to think about what Costa Rican wages are. Even skilled professionals get paid a fraction of what they do in the US. Yes, the cost of living in Costa Rica is less but the typical Tico family also lives on MUCH less than we do. They do without many things. In a typical Tico country house they may not have hot water, not even one of those instant in-line water heaters. They may cook and wash laundry by hand in the same sink. Kitchens commonly do not have ovens, only a hot plate or propane stove top.

Some things in Costa Rica cost MORE then in the US. Automobiles and most imported goods cost a great deal more. Food is cheaper as long as you buy fresh local produce but canned and packaged goods are often equal to or higher than in the US. During recent shopping trips to a Costa Rican supermercado we paid roughly the same as we would at home in rural North Carolina. Rents and realestate are rising to US prices in many places. Services like the internet and cable TV are becoming more common but are more expensive than in the US.

It is something to think about. Spend some time in Costa Rica. Get out of San Jose and visit the provinces (not the tourist areas) and see what real Tico life is about. If can be a wonderful simple life. But it may not be what you expect.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.