the right aged car

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum the right aged car

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    sprite

Just mulling things over regarding what kind of vehicle to bring down with me from Miami when I move there, I have no clue as to what the circumstances will be in 4 years, but what I have seen so far in CR is a healthy population of Toyotas followed by Nissans, Mitsubishis and Suzukis. I am partial to Toyota and am currently driving an FJ Cruiser. This robust 4X4 may be too much vehicle for Costa Rica as far as tax and gas. I am still unsure how tax is assessed on used vehicles. What is the optimum age of a used vehicle for the lowest tax?

watchdog

Importing a used vehicle to Costa Rica, is something to be avoided, unless you are particularly partial to the vehicle, or it has a particular value as a “collector item.” You have the right idea as to the ranking of the most popular vehicles in Costa Rica, which, of course, goes hand-in-hand, with the availability of parts and service, a major item of consideration, especially outside of the San Jose Metropolitan area.

It is much better to sell your present vehicle in Miami, and buy new, or used in Costa Rica. Apart from the shipping expenses, and the risks associated, the import duties are high regardless of the age of the vehicle, and corruption in Custom’s is rampant. It is a very frustrating and expensive undertaking,to import a vehicle to Costa Rica.

Note from Scott: ‘WatchDog’ is the username for my friend and attorney Richard (Rick) Philps who is a Canadian citizen, naturalized as a citizen of Costa Rica. Rick practiced law in Canada as a member of the Law Society of British Columbia, for fourteen years, prior to moving to Costa Rica in 1998. Mr. Philps the earned his Bachelor of Laws and Licensing Degrees (Civil Law), and a Post-Graduate Degree in Notary and Registry Law, from the Escuela Libre de Derecho University, in San Jose, is a member of the Costa Rica College of Lawyers, and has practiced law in Costa Rica for five years. Mr. Philps practices law in the areas of real estate and development, corporate, commercial, contract, and banking. To contact attorney Rick Philps and his associate attorney Roger Petersen, please use the Contact Form at the bottom of: https://www.welovecostarica.com/members/417.cfm

Andrew
    Keymaster

I agree with Rick but We do have some differing opinions on the site:

Which Car Should You Bring? [ https://www.welovecostarica.com/public/1586.cfm ]

Costa Rica Cars – To bring or not to bring. The first in a series revealing the inside scoop on the question of whether to ship your car or buy one in Costa Rica [ https://www.welovecostarica.com/public/1535.cfm ]

Do NOT Buy A Used Car In Costa Rica Without Reading This Report. Your life may depend on it. [ https://www.welovecostarica.com/public/903.cfm ]

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

sprite

Thank you both for your responses. There are two reasons why I will ship a vehicle to CR rather than purchase there
    1)I am unsure of the specs of new toyota imports into CR. I suspect the higher end specs are shipped to the States.
    2) I work closely with freight forwarders in Miami and will have a discount for shipping costs.

I was unsure of the optimum age for paying the least amount in taxes. According to the article Scott referenced, 3 years seem to be that age. I think I read somewhere that vehicles over 4 years will pay a higher percentage tax.

TXGringoTico

Wow!!! I love my fellow expats, and respect opposing views, but I could not disagree more with the advice of buying a car here. There are many, many reasons to bring or buy a fresh import from the United States or Canada – read Scott’s links above – but the only reason to buy a local car is to spend less money. There is a reason that cars originally imported here are cheaper… They aren’t as good. A good example is the 2006.5 Kia Optima I recently bought in Miami to bring here. Although mechanically identical to the Tico version, mine has 4 airbags while theirs has two. Mine has US collision protection while theirs is unregulated. Why would anyone want to drive a car which is less safe on roads that are more dangerous? You may save a few hundred bucks, but what good will that do you when you’re dead?

The Chinese are selling lots of vehicles here. They can’t meet US safety standards, but they are legal here. I saw one at the auto show yesterday which had in imprint of an airbag on the dash, but no airbag available even as an option. Funny, until you’re killed in it.

It’s not just the Chinese, by the way. There are many vehicles of various origin sold here without airbags. Please do your homework. I really enjoy reading your posts here and hope to continue doing so for the rest of your natural life.

jessicab

We took the advice on the article and from many on this board.
    We bought a brand new Isuzu i370 4×4 here in Texas. We plan to ship it,
    along with some of our belongings in a 40ft. container.
    We also know several expats that have shipped their vehicles and do not
    regret it.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.