The ‘reality’ of health care in Costa Rica

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum The ‘reality’ of health care in Costa Rica

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    smekuly

scott

please dont tell me about the pain you experience because i have this mental image of you being a commando invincible guy and this changes everything :D:D:D:D

good to hear your doing well

Andrew
    Keymaster

You’re scaring smekuly… 🙄

Nobody is invincible as you well know!

Even Superman (Christopher Reeve) never recovered from his fall and yeah! I’ve been kicked off a few horses too…

But I need to double-check on exactly what the Doctor gave me – one injection in each buttock – because that worked wonders and I woke up this morning feeling better than I have in weeks…

Scott

DavidCMurray
    Participant

[quote=”smekuly”]scott

please dont tell me about the pain you experience because i have this mental image of you being a commando invincible guy and this changes everything :D:D:D:D[/quote]

He’s not as tough as he makes out, smekuly. I once offered him lunch at Taco Bell but he said he couldn’t handle it.

Maybe now that the pain meds have kicked in . . .

sueandchris

[quote=”DavidCMurray”][quote=”smekuly”]scott

please dont tell me about the pain you experience because i have this mental image of you being a commando invincible guy and this changes everything :D:D:D:D[/quote]

He’s not as tough as he makes out, smekuly. I once offered him lunch at Taco Bell but he said he couldn’t handle it.

Maybe now that the pain meds have kicked in . . .[/quote]

Good pains meds can make everything so comfy and rosy….even for a super-tough Scottish guy!

maravilla

no matter how good the pain meds, i can’t imagine they would make you want to eat Taco Bell!!! jejeje poor Scott.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Oh, maravilla, you have such patrician sensitivities!

maravilla

i just don’t want to eat wood pulp and some mystery meat.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

What? Didn’t your mother teach you to get your roughage? Taco Bell is just contributing to your daily fiber quota. And as for that “mystery meat”, what makes you think there’s any meat in what they offer?

camby

[quote=”maravilla”]elsewhere meaning WHERE exactly? in a US hospital where they would’ve milked every dime they could get out of your insurance policy? or a private hospital here where it would’ve been ka-ching ka-ching for them? if it’s a for-profit system, then yes, they keep you as long as they can get away with, but i am of the mind that it’s best to get the hell out of there asap to minimize what you can catch in the hospital such as some bacterial infection that could kill you. but. . . considering the extent of your injuries, it does sound a little remiss to have discharged you so soon, and completely crazy for them not to have given you any instructions. sheesh. i just hope i never get sick or run over by a truck![/quote]

I work on disability cases and used to know a MD, the hospitals in USA always have to give dsiharge instructions and refferals, even if you have a GP already, they have to formally refer you to someone….that said, and I work now exclusively on MEDICAID cases (used to do that and SSA disability cases) a lot of people fall through cracks and see no one.
    They either are not aware of free clinics and/or sliding scale clinics or do not want to incur the costs and go untreated.
    Lack of $$ means, too, poor diets……
    Could be worse is the only response I get from “conservatives”
    A lot of hospitals will treat for free, then write it off and/or bill US Govt, which of course, impacts all of us as well in states (or tax paying expats).
    But little follow up care……

camby

[quote=”DavidCMurray”]What? Didn’t your mother teach you to get your roughage? Taco Bell is just contributing to your daily fiber quota. And as for that “mystery meat”, what makes you think there’s any meat in what they offer?[/quote]

yikes, Mike Adams of Natural News had an article some time back about pork products and had a zoom lense on the meat..a lot of fat, unknown substances,etc….

Seems CR more into good, wholesome food and often, Organic….at least, more then the plump, waist expanding USA..

camby

[quote=”waggoner41″][quote=”costaricafinca”]Harping on an old(er) subject … me :roll:… with regard to trauma care, at a CAJA facility. I was discharged after an overnight stay, with no follow up instructions and/or care after suffering a multiple fractured pelvis plus other injuries requiring total immobility for 5 weeks. Elsewhere, according to a friend who is a nurse, I would have been kept hospitalized for up to 2 months.[/quote]

I have always questioned after care, even in the States. Private hospitals tend to keep you just to inflate the bill. Caja, on the other hand is trying to provide the best service at the lowest possible cost.

A team of doctors evaluates you every morning and decides what is the best course to take. Then is the time that you have to ask questions about home care.

After a surgery I had all the right questions regarding cleaning the surgical wound but even so I ended up with a septic infection because we were not aggressive enough in the cleaning. I ended up with another 10 days in the hospital. I blame myself rather than the Caja system for my problem.

We are living in a society that is vastly different from where we came from. One thing that we expats have to remember is that Ticos bow to authority. When they are told by a doctor to rest they assume total rest. We expats tend to be more aggressive and push to get going again.[/quote]

Perhaps, a happy medium, as I for one hate submission, but also know at times I have to be humble……sorry to hear about your infection, had an aunt that is in her 80’s that got one, has not been right since and she lives in FL. Supposedly “first world”, yet took a long while to Dx and then to Tx..

camby

[quote=”Scott”]Here’s a great, very positive (I ‘think’) example “Ka-Ching, Ka-Ching” for you….

My gal and I returned from New Year in Guatemala and I came back with atrocious pains in my upper neck, mid-back, lower back and hips… I keep in shape, I run and work out and I had no falls and no accidents so it was quite confusing …

After I couldn’t stand the pain any more and after I had proved to myself that I really needed to get help other than my weekly masseuse and chiropractor, I visited my friends at the private Hospital Metropolitano TODAY …

1. Consultation with an experienced orthopedic surgeon.
    2. Two injections – one anti-inflammatory and one muscle relaxant.
    3. 4 x X-Rays of my spine…
    4. A further consultation with the Dr. who admittedly has the personality of a wet cardboard box however, he is a good surgeon.

Total Cost: c87,445.42 which at today’s exchange rate is: US$173

How does that compare to the US?

PS. Please note that this is a PRIVATE hospital…[/quote]

hope nothing more then a strain?? Did they rule out infections?

camby

[quote=”maravilla”]no matter how good the pain meds, i can’t imagine they would make you want to eat Taco Bell!!! jejeje poor Scott.[/quote]

:shock::lol::lol::D

camby

[quote=”DavidCMurray”]What? Didn’t your mother teach you to get your roughage? Taco Bell is just contributing to your daily fiber quota. And as for that “mystery meat”, what makes you think there’s any meat in what they offer?[/quote]

could not finish it, too revolting, but instructive:

http://www.amazon.com/Meat-You-Eat-Corporate-Endangered/dp/0312325355

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.