The Rainy Season

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum The Rainy Season

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Jeanne

For five years, I have wanted to experience the rainy season in Costa Rica. This year I got the chance to. With good luck, I was asked to house sit for some friends in the Central Valley. I arrived from over heated Maryland just over two weeks ago. I love the 70+ degree weather here but the rain is getting a little much. What happened to “Yes, we get rain every day starting around 2 lasting for a couple of hours.”???? I have wonderful internet connection but Dish Satellite TV is off more than it is on. I will say the electric is much more reliable than it was the first couple of years that I came down…then if the wind blew the electric would go out. Other than blinking a couple of times during a terrific thunder storm the electric has been perfect.
    I am fortunate as far as I am concerned as I know I will be leaving in three weeks. How are the rest of you handling this unusual weather? I think my friends had a crystal ball and knew when to go stateside.
    Loving the relaxed life, wishing it were a bit dryer.

Jeanne

tpverde

I love it, but then I plant a lot.

Also work in erosion control and it is a great year for that particular activity.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

The rainy season is something that grows on you. Give it five years like your friends have and you’ll just accept it as a normal part of the annual cycle. Remember, you don’t have to shovel it!

rosiemaji

Last year the rainy season was almost nonexistent and very short. We needed the extra rain this year to replenish the aquifers so that we can keep getting that wonderful tasting spring water. This year has been perfect for tree planting. Luckily, we are doing the bulk of our reforestation project this year instead of last year. Last year the workers had to stop in the middle of the project, run hoses and water the new trees to keep from losing them to a drought right in the middle of the rainy season. Last year we planted 500 trees. This year the count is approaching 7,000. Yeah for an abundant rainy season!:D

costaricafinca
    Participant

I’m fed up with it too!
    We planted over 8,000 trees last year and 3,000 earlier this year and are trying to keep the weeds away, this rainy season, but being weeds they are growing faster…:roll:

One positive is that they [i]Pitahaya[/i] blooms are plentiful

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.