The Highly Questionable Luxury Tax

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum The Highly Questionable Luxury Tax

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    F.A Skippy

[quote=”opabh”]Wat’s the difference between lux— Tax and Property Tax
    In Costa Rica , California Property Tax , If you are late is a 10% penalty. Then they sell your House and give you a grocery cart. 😯
    Willem[/quote]
    Maybe here you get an ox cart:D

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Cute, Skippy.

The taxes are different. The standard property tax applies to everyone. The luxury home tax only applies to homes and properties with computed valuations of c100,000,000 or greater. A property owner could be liable for just the standard tax or for both.

Ione

[quote=”Scott”]Agreed 100%!

I’m all in favour of reasonable measures that might help alleviate the plight of some of the less fortunate people in Costa Rica but – if I understand how this works correctly – since the monies collected will benefit primarily Nicaraguans, I would have preferred that my taxes help Costa Ricans and, from what I hear from my Tico friends, they would prefer that too…

This measure can only increase the amount of anti-Nica sentiment in the country.

No offence meant to our Nicaraguan immigrants (legal or illegal) but if I want to donate money and help them I can do that in Nicaragua but, if I invest in Costa Rica real estate, those property taxes should benefit Costa Rica and the Ticos…

Lastly, the new tax is most definitely absurdly complicated.

Scott[/quote]

Scott,
    I have been waiting to see how many more and what type of replies this blog is receiving. I can’t agree with you more about helping the Costa Ricans and also how absurdly complicated the law is.

[b]I am dissappointed in the amount of replies indicating what problems foreigners or Tico’s alike are having in trying to open bank accounts, file documentation or just what is frustrating them regarding this law. [/b] As I said previously, some of our San Jose friends are running back and forth between their banks and Hacienda more than 7 times and still don’t have the bank account issue resolved. Now, out of desparation they hired some accountant to do it for them. I am looking for peoples experience in this matter and these experiences should help in any legal challenge that may come about it the future. If anyone can send me this, I would appreciate it.
    Bob Klenz

crayzrj

[quote=”opabh”]Wat’s the difference between lux— Tax and Property Tax
    In Costa Rica , California Property Tax , If you are late is a 10% penalty. Then they sell your House and give you a grocery cart. 😯
    Willem[/quote]no way! i live in santa rosa, california.don’t pay your tax, they will carry it as a lien for several years(how many i don’t know). i had friend that owed me money and was supposed to pay my tax one year. the next year they sent me a bill for two years with 10% penalty, the unpaid year listed as a lien. no forced sale.p.s. the friend paid up shortly.p.s.s taxes for 2009 were $2,844.00 (property tax)and 8.5% sales tax. and i don’t have a McMansion or acres. of course the level of civic services exceeds costa ricas’ yah pays for what yah gets! taxes pay for jobs, jobs create consumption which creates opportunities for others (as a general rule,seems to me)so pay up or go live on your own island and to hell with everybody else. john dunne had some credible thoughts on that.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.