the Forum clock

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum the Forum clock

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    costaricabill
    Participant

Am I the only one, or do other members notice that the time your entry is posted on the Forum is 2 hours later than our actual local time? It appears to be posting the messages as Eastern Daylight Time.

Scott, if you have explained this before I apologise for bringing it up again – or if there is a setting in profile or preferences please let me know.

crb
    11:44AM CST

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Maybe your entry is time-stamped when you press the “Reply” button. Are you a particularly slow typist?

costaricabill
    Participant

no particularly slow, but no way am I “rapido” either.
    I just don’t want to post a reply at 12:35PM, then get in the car to drive to one or two of the many available fresh produce markets in the Samara area, and then get hit by a bus and die at 12:45PM, only to have my reply date-stamped at 2:35PM and you would then think that I am sending you a reply/post from that “great forum in the sky”!

By the way david, your post shows as having been received by me at 2:35PM….not 12:35PM. It must be something in my settings.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Scott testing time ….

This was posted at 12:59 Costa Rica time but shows 1:59pm

Scott

costaricabill
    Participant

[quote=”Scott”]Scott testing time ….

This was posted at 12:59 Costa Rica time but shows 1:59pm

Scott[/quote]

On my computers it shows 2:59

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Hmmm . . . Bill, what does your computer’s own clock show? Might that be the source of the difference?

I dunno . . .

costaricabill
    Participant

Hi David – I’m technically challenged but not that technically challenged. In other words, I did check the clocks on all of the computers to make sure they were correct.
    Thanks, and I welcome any other suggestions.

maravilla

you guys have way toooo much time on your hands if this is what you’re worrying about!!!! jejeje

costaricabill
    Participant

OK, I think I have solved part of the problem. When I signed on to WLCR over 5 years ago I was still living in Tampa, Florida and when I filled in my profile I selected US/Eastern as my time zone. So the Forum still thought I was in Florida, in the Eastern Time Zone which is now on Daylight Savings Time – hence, 2 hours different.
    I just switched it to America/Costa Rica so now I should be in sync with the rest of you!

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Almost, Bill. I just entered two brief test messages which were timestamped 5:05pm and 5:06pm, but it’s only a few minutes after 4:00pm here in Grecia.

So I looked at my own profile which reflected my Grecia location but “Central Time” as my time zone. Since the U.S. Central Time Zone is now on daylight savings time, I had to change my own time zone to U.S. Mountain Time to get it right. Now this message should be timestamped about 4:11pm which would be correct.

But it’s not. I’ll log out, log in and try again.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Too weird! When I logged out, the message above was timestamped 5:10pm. When I logged back in to reread it, it was timestamped 4:10pm. Go figure . . .

maravilla, we are retired and living the life of ease. What the hell better do you think we have to do?

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Okay, so the time zone you specify in your profile determines the time stamped on your entries in this forum. What do you suppose would happen if we changed our time zone to Peking or some such place? Would I actually be replying to your questions before you posed them? Would that be creepy?

Maybe Einstein was right!

maravilla

obviously, being a pensionado has its advantages, given that this issue has consumed a greater portion of your afternoon. not to mention the time i’ve spent reading these posts — it’s sort of on par with the question “where does time go when it’s all used up?” “did my post get posted before i posted it?” you guys need a hobby!!! Oh, wait, WLCR IS our hobby. jejejejeje

costaricabill
    Participant

[quote=”maravilla”]obviously, being a pensionado has its advantages, given that this issue has consumed a greater portion of your afternoon. not to mention the time i’ve spent reading these posts — it’s sort of on par with the question “where does time go when it’s all used up?” “did my post get posted before i posted it?” you guys need a hobby!!! Oh, wait, WLCR IS our hobby. jejejejeje[/quote]

marvilla, you think I “need a hobby”? please check the number of posts both you and I have on this forum, then I will agree that WLCR is indeed your hobby!
    I will admit that I spent more time today on this forum than I probably have in the past 2-3 years in total, but there are several posts and threads going on right now that are of interest to me, and while following those I noticed that the time was wrong on all of my messages, both sent and received. So I probably spent 20-30 minutes sending and responding to posts and investigating why it was happening. now I know.
    I also know that David switched to Mountain time, so he should be aware that when Mountain time goes off of daylight time and goes back to Standard time, his posts will reflect that he sent them an hour before he actually did send them, and he will be able to answer your questions and emails almost an hour before think of the question. At that point in time we will all think him to be very perceptive, indeed.
    I also followed the wikipedia link that David sent me and found out that the “betel nut” is not actually a nut at all!
    did you find out any new interesting facts today? if so, please share.

ticopaz

Hi all,
    The server where Scot hosts WLCR is in the Eastern Standard Time zone. We “Costa Rica residents” are now 2 hours behind EST. When North America “Springs forward” we then spring into the Mountain Time Zone and hence 2 hours behind EST. When North America “Falls back” then we will be reflecting a 1 hour difference from EST and will “Fall back” in the Central Time Zone… WLCR clock is based on the server setting where it is hosted.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.