The End ?

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum The End ?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Doug Ward

[img][/img]Ticos plunging the silver stake in the chest of investment ?
    The thieves, idiot cops, gas prices, car rental scam with the INS mandatory involvement, Ripoff hotel prices and the food prices within site of touristy joints already sealed that deal.
    They killed the goose and sold the egg for cell phones and perfume…Now ? 🙄
    These assholes can’t even get small business to pay taxes- aguinaldo-seguros-the private INS nonsense comp policy or even honor the employee maternity laws. How do these dolts assume this is going to work ? That’s what they get for having a capital full of sub 80 IQ US educated idiots attempting to run things.Hey ! Lets be just like The Empire !!! YAY ! Number 1.5 !!!
    http://news.liveandinvestoverseas.com/costa-rica-plans-new-tax-law/.

[img]http://m.static.newsvine.com/servista/imagesizer?file=null-null10E380C2-BB86-E837-DCE7-23AD939B12DD.jpg&width=640[/img]

VictoriaLST

Well, as an edumakated expat, I disagree with your map.

However, you are correct that the “goose” will fly away if they initiate a new tax plan to balance the budget on the backs of expats. Up here in Nuevo Arenal, the Colono is expanding because of demand by expats. Millions of dollars flows into the local banks in Arenal in the form of Social Security checks every year. CR needs to fix its pension system and enforce its current tax structure and laws or Panama and Nicaragua will start looking pretty good.

aguirrewar

It is called “Renta Global” and has been in the news in CR for the last 2 weeks and NO… you don’t have to be a politician to understand politics.

It is projected that by 2015 because of the fiscal deficit the Gov. will have to pay 40% of every colon collected to cover some LOANS and that is why THEY are imposing every imaginable TAX they can get away with, just remember the most popular sport in CR is not futball but TAX EVASION.

bogino
    Participant

Sounds like Panama is looking better and better.

Imxploring
    Participant

[quote=”sweikert925″][quote=”bogino”]Sounds like Panama is looking better and better.[/quote]

Not so sure about that. The CIA [url=https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/rankorder/2221rank.html]publishes a ranking of how much taxes each country collects as a percentage of GDP.[/url] Here are a few countries for comparison purposes:

#1 Greenland 79.6%
    #12 Sweden 51.4%
    #20 Germany 45.%
    #52 Canada 37.7%
    #71 Switzerland 33.7%
    #105 Venezuela 28.1%
    #120 Nicaragua 25.6%
    #121 Panama 25.4%
    #127 Belize 25.1%
    #148 Mexico 21.9%
    #156 Chile 20.8%
    #182 United States 17%
    #194 Costa Rica 14.8%
    [/quote]

Like most “statistics” these numbers are not explained nor are they defined. Does the 17% collected in the US include the HUNDREDS of different taxes citizens are subjected to daily or simply the income tax Uncle Sam collects? Perhaps some clarification and qualification is required for the information you’ve chosen to share as “fact”? Being a CIA source in my mind does not instantly qualify it as true or accurate, further explanation is required to how these numbers were arrived at. Only then will they have meaning or value.

Following your logic from the source you provided it seems Iran, Nigeria, Syria, and North Korea are all more attractive countries for expats since they rank lower in tax % as a function of GDP! So just how silly is that statistic to use in this discussion?

As is the case in the US…. the folks in CR are now attempting to hit citizens and expats from numerous directions as far as taxation to pay for the promises made and for which they don’t have the money to make happen. That’s a FACT…. and they’ve made that very clear. So don’t simply dismiss the notion.

And as to the article which you pointed out the writers qualifications (or as you insinuate, lack of)…. remember Steve…. the $17 trillion dollar debt in the US was the result of conduct by the best and brightest…. Ivy league educated folks…. the economic melt down was all guided and “managed” by these same folks.

Perhaps we should have had some normal folks (including a bartender or two) involved in the choices made. We might all be better off for it! LOL

Imxploring
    Participant

[quote=”sweikert925″][quote=”Imxploring”]Like most “statistics” these numbers are not explained nor are they defined. [/quote]
    Sure they are, right up at the top. Didn’t read very carefully? Or maybe time for new reading glasses?

[i]”Taxes and other revenues records total taxes and other revenues received by the national government during the time period indicated, expressed as a percent of GDP. Taxes include personal and corporate income taxes, value added taxes, excise taxes, and tariffs. Other revenues include social contributions – such as payments for social security and hospital insurance – grants, and net revenues from public enterprises.”[/i]

[quote=”Imxploring”]Following your logic from the source you provided it seems Iran, Nigeria, Syria, and North Korea are all more attractive countries for expats since they rank lower in tax % as a function of GDP! [/quote]

For someone for whom taxes is an obsession and for whom that is the main (only?) reason for anything, then yes. Presumably, based on your frequent comments, that would include you. It doesn’t include me, or most reasonable people.

[quote=”Imxploring”]Perhaps we should have had some normal folks (including a bartender or two) involved in the choices made. We might all be better off for it! LOL[/quote]

As it happens, I spent 3 years working as a bartender so I assume that puts my comments in a whole new light to you, eh?

As for Mr. Chilliak, are you prepared to trust him as an authoritative source of information about Costa Rica’s future tax plans when he hasn’t apparently even visited the country, let alone lived there? If so, why is that?

I have yet to hear any trusted news source report that the new tax proposal by President Solis would apply to gringo ex-pats in Costa Rica. Why do you assume that it would?[/quote]

No need for new glasses Steve… I read it quite careful when I made my point…. what YOU missed in the definition (its a reading comprehension thing Steve) is that the numbers are based on

“Taxes and other revenues records total taxes and other revenues received by the NATIONAL government during the time period indicated, expressed as a percent of GDP.”

I added caps to national so you might pick up your error this time.

That leaves out a pretty big portion of what we in the US pay in GOVERNMENT taxes doesn’t it my friend??? It seems they leave out the STATE, CITY, And LOCAL taxes. As well as School, real estate, and other taxes (such as sales tax) collected at the state and local level. Which in my case MORE THAN DOUBLES the numbers used to calculate this number!

And by using this definition and parameters in calculate these “facts” the CIA “fact” book makes them useless when comparing countries to each other where school and other taxes are assessed at a national level (such as in CR) rather then by numerous other taxes authorities not part of the NATIONAL government. If you’re going to compare them on such a chart you need to compare them equally.

And then using a number like national GDP to compare, what we now know to be inaccurate taxing figures, makes the whole chart even more useless.

Why not use average income, median income, total population, the labor participation rate, or any number of other useless gauges to come up with their result?

When you use faulty data to provide a statistical analysis the result is useless.

Imxploring
    Participant

[quote=”sweikert925″][quote=”Imxploring”]what YOU missed in the definition (its a reading comprehension thing Steve) is that the numbers are based on “Taxes and other revenues records total taxes and other revenues received by the NATIONAL government during the time period indicated, expressed as a percent of GDP.”[/quote]

You appear to believe that the US is the only country in the world that collects taxes only at the national level. That would be incorrect.

If you had really meant to say that the numbers were incomplete why didn’t you say that rather than “these numbers are not explained nor are they defined.”? Sounds to me you’re just unwilling to admit you missed reading the explanation of how the numbers were arrived at. There’s no shame in admitting you made a mistake. But there is in pretending you never made one.

If you have another resource that includes taxes at all levels of government and then ranks countries using that broader measure, by all means feel free to share it.[/quote]

I made no such observation that the US was the only country that collected taxes on a national level. I’m not sure where you got that idea.

Come now Steve, just admit it. The source you sited provides information which is incorrect and VERY poorly conceived and executed.. My use of the terms “explained” and “defined” are very clear. They FAILED to explain or define what was NOT included in their calculations. Intentionally no doubt. They used information which was tainted and incomplete and not useful in apples to apples comparison of the countries on the list. And then to arrive at a conclusion providing a percentage compared to GDP was rather disingenuous. And as everyone can now see the information you sited from the CIA “Fact” book provides means nothing.

Hell they didn’t even add a proviso qualifying their results that there are different manners in which countries collect taxes and that the information maybe incorrect when TOTAL tax collection and manner of taxation comparisons are made.

As to a source of correct information. I’m sure there isn’t one. After all, no government or politician wants you having a complete picture as to how much you pay in TOTAL taxes or how your country compares to others. Just looking at the source you sited… The CIA “fact” book…. seems their “facts” were pretty manipulated in the favor of providing a favorable picture of the US compared to other counties. You don’t think that was an accident do you???

Manipulation or just plain old incompetence… either way…. I’m not playing! LOL

I’ve met some pretty smart Bartenders, perhaps there should be more in government!

costaricabill
    Participant

The POINT is that you have both tried every angle to make your POINT, to the POINT where you should each realize that it is POINTless to believe that the other will ever believe (or understand) your POINT.

So here is my point – the trouble in Costa Rica is NOT that it doesn’t have enough taxes on the books, the problem is that it fails miserably in the COLLECTION of those taxes. Casa in POINT, the Solidarity Tax, aka Luxury Home Tax. By their own admission, Hacienda is collecting about 25% of the projected amount of that tax. They came out and said they would have 100’s of appraisers out in the field looking for property owners avoiding that tax. I (unfortunately) fell for the threatened penalties for not paying (10 times the tax) and was among the first to pay and have continued each year since – but I can see 4-5 homes from my patio that should be paying and are not.

Imxploring
    Participant

[quote=”costaricabill”]The POINT is that you have both tried every angle to make your POINT, to the POINT where you should each realize that it is POINTless to believe that the other will ever believe (or understand) your POINT.

So here is my point – the trouble in Costa Rica is NOT that it doesn’t have enough taxes on the books, the problem is that it fails miserably in the COLLECTION of those taxes. Casa in POINT, the Solidarity Tax, aka Luxury Home Tax. By their own admission, Hacienda is collecting about 25% of the projected amount of that tax. They came out and said they would have 100’s of appraisers out in the field looking for property owners avoiding that tax. I (unfortunately) fell for the threatened penalties for not paying (10 times the tax) and was among the first to pay and have continued each year since – but I can see 4-5 homes from my patio that should be paying and are not.[/quote]

Perhaps the real issue is that they were way over in their projections? Governments like many businesses have a way of doing that…. over projecting income and underestimating expenses.

VictoriaLST

[quote=”sweikert925″]I see some of you take as gospel the information in the article that was linked. And why wouldn’t you when the author’s bio as posted on that very same article says that this about him?:

[i]Matt Chilliak hails from Saskatoon, Canada, and has an honours degree in political studies from the University of Saskatchewan, with minors in economics and Spanish. He also holds certification from Fine Art Bartending School. He has traveled throughout Latin America, to Mexico, the Dominican Republic, Cuba, and Panama.[/i]

…which apparently makes him an expert on Costa Rican government fiscal policy.

[/quote]
    Oh Swags, I am not talking about his map. I am talking about Solis’ speech and policies.

Imxploring
    Participant

[quote=”sweikert925″][quote=”costaricabill”]…the trouble in Costa Rica is NOT that it doesn’t have enough taxes on the books, the problem is that it fails miserably in the COLLECTION of those taxes.[/quote]

Precisely. Which is why President Solis is proposing the new measure that was the subject of this message thread (and why FATCA was passed in the US). Good for him! Some of the countries that tend to have the biggest problems balancing their books are also the ones that by most estimates have the worst non-compliance rates for taxpaying – Greece, Italy and Spain to name 3. Apparently Costa Rica is high on that list too. One of the things that modern technology has brought about is that it easier than ever to avoid paying taxes. It’s about time that honest taxpayers get some relief by making the dirty stinkin’ cheats pay up.

Those who live in Costa Rica as ex-pats should be pleased that the new government is cracking down on tax evasion as a way of getting its fiscal house in order. One of the most significant considerations in relocating to another country is how stable and well-run it is and in my opinion this new initiative is a big plus in that regard.[/quote]

The REAL problem for those more familiar with the way things work in CR is not increasing tax collection… it’s cutting the waste and corruption. Just as when an individual has problems in a household budget… you FIRST look for waste and ways to cut spending before looking for additional income.

If I’m not mistaken the budget proposed by Solis includes a sizable increase in spending! So as far as being responsible I’m not really buying it. Not while public officials in CR are collecting retirement pensions that exceed $10,000/ month…. not while the president of ICE lives like King in castles that would make the English royal family blush…. 100s of car and other government assets go unaccounted for…. and so on and so on!

Get your house in order before you coming looking to pick the pockets of the public. Perhaps the lack of confidence in the manner in which tax revenue is spent is part of the reason for avoidance and noncompliance? Perhaps if Solis makes the needed changes (cuts) BEFORE he ask for more money we’d all feel a bit more at ease paying more… knowing it’s being put to good use!

Imxploring
    Participant

[quote=”sweikert925″][quote=”Imxploring”]The REAL problem for those more familiar with the way things work in CR is not increasing tax collection… it’s cutting the waste and corruption. [/quote]
    Which is why [url=http://insidecostarica.com/2014/08/29/solis-presents-gloomy-100-days-report-focused-corruption/]President Solis has made tackling waste and corruption a focus of his administration.[/url] There is often a gap between rhetoric and results, but at least he is on record as wanting to do something about it.

Corruption is generally easy to identify once you find it. But the problem with waste is there is often disagreement as to what is wasteful spending. I think putting low level drug abusers into prisons which cost tens of thousands per inmate per year is wasteful but many others don’t.
    [quote=”Imxploring”]If I’m not mistaken the budget proposed by Solis includes a sizable increase in spending! [/quote]

President Solis has in fact called for [url=http://www.ticotimes.net/2014/10/06/unions-call-for-nationwide-protest-against-proposed-budget-cuts]cuts in the budget, at least in certain areas.[/url] And [url=http://www.ticotimes.net/2014/09/02/despite-a-growing-deficit-for-costa-rica-no-new-taxes-planned-for-2015]”there is no plan to propose new taxes but [the new government has] asked lawmakers to consider the government’s bill to fight tax evasion.”[/url]

[quote=”Imxploring”] Perhaps the lack of confidence in the manner in which tax revenue is spent is part of the reason for avoidance and noncompliance?[/quote]
    And perhaps there is something called human nature, a part of which is something called greed. You seem awfully quick to excuse the behavior of tax cheats. Why is that, I wonder ?[/quote]

It must be a reading comp thing Steve…. I’m not really sure where you got the idea that I was “excusing” tax cheats… and I’m guessing that I pay quite a bit more in taxes then you… But regardless… let’s look at the issue and the points you bring up. Perhaps you meant to say “explain” rather then “excuse”…. I’ll overlook that as an unintended auto-correct issue and not an intentional effort on your part to put words in my mouth and not take offense to it…. THIS time! LOL

First off… ALL politicians get elected making promises…. Cut Waste, Expand services people want, Root out corruption, Lower taxes, Increase efficiency, Create jobs, and so on and so on! The proverbial “chicken in every pot” angle! (Didn’t work out for Hoover by the way!) The last 4 presidents in CR promised the same thing…. so that story is getting old my friend!!

That’s how they get elected Steve… it’s the norm these days and has been for a long time and with the dumbing down of society in general, it’s even more common today. The problem is it never happens! People don’t realize that the folks running for office are either delusional or liars…. and in most cases they’re both.

My issue with the current “plan”…. as if they really have one in CR… is that UNTIL real changes are made on the way taxes are spent… there will be no change in the way they are collected or the population’s willingness to provide them. BTW…. the Solis budget calls for a sizable overall increase in spending…. no matter if there are spending cuts in some areas.

I’ll give you an example so you might understand what I’m saying.

You’re well off… have assets… and good job… work hard… have done everything right in life and are now enjoying the fruits of those labors. You’re quite comfortable knowing you’re done the right thing in life and can hold your chin high in the manner in which you got to where you are personally and financially.

A close family member comes to you… they have financial problems… not due to some sudden unexpected misfortune which you would no doubt want to help out with immediately.

But instead a mess that is the result of years of bad choices, over spending, not working, spending money they didn’t have, abusing the use of credit, borrowing instead of cutting their expenses, them giving money to others that were making similar bad choices…. over the years they have continually promised to change their ways… only to continue on the same path.

Would you be so quick to simply hand them money or would you first want to be sure that the corrective actions, which they no doubt would be promising you once again to lobby for your assistance, were put in place BEFORE you wrote the check out??

THAT’S what I’m talking about!

johnnyh

I’ll go even further than Imxploring in saying the only difference in corruption between the United States and C.R. is that here in the U.S. there’s more money to go around, so corruption is not felt like in Costa Rica. There’s nothing new here in the U.S. as there’s corruption all the way from the White House to small local government.
    The business of both countries is to grow the spending.
    Promises are never kept until the day of reckoning arrives, and then there’s a reset. The reset is just around the corner. Besides, if a government is too efficient, they will begin by even taxing the air you breath!

Imxploring
    Participant

[quote=”sweikert925″][quote=”johnnyh”]The reset is just around the corner. [/quote]
    Just how big is this corner? I’ve been hearing that for years now. I’d like to know approximately when that’s going to happen so I can stop paying for insurance and max out my credit cards. LOL[/quote]

So will you be shipping a phone booth to Costa Rica or will you be hoping to purchase one when you get here?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.