Thai & North American groceries

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Thai & North American groceries

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    maravilla

Cracking the wholesome food code in Costa Rica was a challenge for me too. I get my eggs from my gardener, my milk from his neighbor’s cow, and at the feria in San Ramon there are a couple of vendors who supply organic vegetables and some fruits. I usually make due with what I can get from that stand; what’s available dictates what I eat that week. The chicken vendor at the feria told me that Pipasa got busted a few years ago for putting antibiotics and hormones in their feed and now they are free of those things, but I don’t believe him. My massage therapist said one of the reasons the stomach cancer rate in CR is so high is that people eat too much chicken and waaaaay too much pork, oh, and all the sugar-laden packaged stuff.

Andrew
    Keymaster

I also read somewhere that the stomach cancer rate was so high because of the amount of cheap coffee – processed with sugar – to make it sweeter, that is consumed.

Another theory I read was that it was the volcanic soil that boosted stomach cancer rates… And another about the Ticos eating raw mango slices dipped in salt.

This is a very old article but – “Costa Rica comes behind only Japan, South Korea, and North Korea in terms of incidence of the disease…” [ http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1173050 ]

Stomach cancer “… represents roughly 2% (25,500 cases) of all new cancer cases yearly in the United States, but it is much more common in Korea, Japan, Great Britain, South America, and Iceland. It is associated with high salt in the diet, smoking, and low intake of fruits and vegetables. Infection with the bacterium H. pylori is the main risk factor in about 80% or more of gastric cancers.[citation needed] It is more common in men.” [ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stomach_cancer ]

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaREica.com

My understanding with the possible link between stomach cancer and the domestic coffee, is that Tico’s have been roasting their coffee beans with sugar, and that when sugar is burnt, in oder to make the beans black and shiny, that the burnt sugar is considered a carcinogen.

maravilla

The h.pylori connection is probably the most significant. It’s been well documented for decades that untreated h.pylori not only leads to stomch ulcers but also stomach cancer. The consumption of sugar is also a big factor, but in other Latin countries they too guzzle Coke by the 2-liter bottles and don’t have the same incidence. And then there are the pesticides, which we all know can be deadly. As for the coffe roasting with sugar — UGH! Do all the coffee farmers do this? I’ll stop drinking it if they do! I try to buy organic coffee in CR, so the thought of the sugar factor gives me the creeps.

maravilla

Oh, and the consumption of margarine is also a factor. They put it in everything in Costa Rica. Who eats that crap? Well, THEY do, and they’ve been propagandized for years that margarine is good for the heart when nothing could be farther from the truth. All hydrogenated oils are a cancer factor. Eat butter! It’s actually good for you! jejeje

teakwood

I bought a house in Quepos,up in the mountains. Laundras,and agree with you. If you ask they will try to get what you want. We are still in Las Vegas until we sell our house. See you some day at Wackie Wandas.

costaricafinca
    Participant

There is someone in the British club that sells haggis, at least in January for the Robert Burns night.

costaricafinca
    Participant

Why would you not try to grow these spices you mentioned, tumeric, basil, etc. ? I do, and they all grow very easily.

Edited on Sep 04, 2008 10:11

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.