Termites

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Termites

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    GEEGEE

Has anyone experienced Subterrean Termites?

costaricafinca
    Participant

Don’t know exactly which type they were, but these are usually seen on structures made with wood here…and I have seen quite a lot of damage. The info leads to not building a house made of wooden 2×4’s and stick to cement, steel and glass.
    We have had termites completely destroy boxes of books and sometimes they only eat the center of a hard back. They also consume anything constructed of pressed board, such as stand alone cabinets or shelves.

GEEGEE

[quote=”costaricafinca”]Don’t know exactly which type they were, but these are usually seen on structures made with wood here…and I have seen quite a lot of damage. The info leads to not building a house made of wooden 2×4’s and stick to cement, steel and glass.
    We have had termites completely destroy boxes of books and sometimes they only eat the center of a hard back. They also consume anything constructed of pressed board, such as stand alone cabinets or shelves.[/quote]

How did you get rid of them? Is the land treated here for Subterranial termites like it is in Fla? We have the same problem if the land is not treated before building in South Fla.

GEEGEE

[quote=”costaricafinca”]Don’t know exactly which type they were, but these are usually seen on structures made with wood here…and I have seen quite a lot of damage. The info leads to not building a house made of wooden 2×4’s and stick to cement, steel and glass.
    We have had termites completely destroy boxes of books and sometimes they only eat the center of a hard back. They also consume anything constructed of pressed board, such as stand alone cabinets or shelves.[/quote]

When you say press board is that the Melamine you are speaking of like what some furniture is made of?

Thanks,
    gg

waggoner41

[quote=”GEEGEE”]Has anyone experienced Subterrean Termites?[/quote]

No matter what type of termites the only woods that will withstand them are extremely hard, and expensive, hard woods.

If you prefer wood furniture you can find a list of them at [url=http://ticoartproducts.com/Costa_Rican_Hardwoods.html]Costa Rican hardwoods[/url]

costaricafinca
    Participant

Yes, that is what I mean. Cabinet makers here, or units that have been imported and are geared for the more modern homes, I have noticed that they make sure all the edges are sealed with the ‘iron on stuff’ to keep any moisture out… but if you are in a rainy/humid area it is an ongoing battle with corrosion, termites and mold. This is why many [i]Tico[/i] homes have cupboards made of cement and often have no doors. They same goes for ‘closets’ especially in a bathroom.
    I don’t know if there is anything done to treat the termites in the soil.
    A friend has just had cabinets made totally from teak and hopefully this will work out for them.
    Again, if you stick to cement, steel and glass it should improve your chances of keeping them out.

GEEGEE

[quote=”costaricafinca”]Yes, that is what I mean. Cabinet makers here, or units that have been imported and are geared for the more modern homes, I have noticed that they make sure all the edges are sealed with the ‘iron on stuff’ to keep any moisture out… but if you are in a rainy/humid area it is an ongoing battle with corrosion, termites and mold. This is why many [i]Tico[/i] homes have cupboards made of cement and often have no doors. They same goes for ‘closets’ especially in a bathroom.
    I don’t know if there is anything done to treat the termites in the soil.
    A friend has just had cabinets made totally from teak and hopefully this will work out for them.
    Again, if you stick to cement, steel and glass it should improve your chances of keeping them out.[/quote]

:Yes that is true on the Melamine in Florida or the moisture
    gets in it, BUT we have a/c and it does well in Fla.
    I wonder, many of these old, old tico homes are made of
    wood and still standing. What kind of wood did they use?
    I went on to the Costa Rica woods and they are mostly
    for bowles and nic nacks not homes, cabinets and floors.
    It seems most of these woods are not easy to get.

I would like to hear from some of these Realators, Scott and many that have build homes.
    Scott built a log cabin..,. that was all wood? So I am a bit
    confused on NO Wood and that know no seems to know about
    the subterrainal termites and so many on this site have
    build and own homes?

I would love to get to the bottem of this and some of
    Scots expert advice and knowledge.

Thanks for those that have replied.

gg

tomstew1

I had both dry wood and subT termites and got them treated from a guy in Quepos. He comes back each year to treat again so that they do not return using similar methods used in the states. I’ll get his number if you are interested, but I don’t know if he would come to Grecia or Atenas…

TS

GEEGEE

[quote=”tomstew1″]I had both dry wood and subT termites and got them treated from a guy in Quepos. He comes back each year to treat again so that they do not return using similar methods used in the states. I’ll get his number if you are interested, but I don’t know if he would come to Grecia or Atenas…

TS[/quote]

Wonderful that would be great. If you can find his number.

Thanks,

geegee

tomstew1

Pura Vida Pest Control
    8927-5238
    puravidapestcontrol@hotmail.com

His name is Andrew.

Good Luck,
    TS

Doug Ward

Good hardwood furniture (not that garbage from Sarchi) here is chump change compared to what it is even for Oak in the states.
    Use heartwood Cedar, Guanacaste,Nispero, Almendra (which IS expensive) and you wont have any problems.
    Find a builder that the Ticos say is tooooo expensive.
    Arturo Murillo and Roger Sancez are the two best up this way. IMO Arturo is one of the best in the world.

The only place I got termites was in my Teak fence cross boards….soon to be replaced with Guachepelin as I find more straight branches.I used teak for the moisture factor. Big mi[b]$[/b]take. The columns are concrete.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.