Terciopelo (yes, the snake)

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Terciopelo (yes, the snake)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    VictoriaLST

Our caretaker’s lovely little dog was bitten yesterday and it seems she will survive. I did not know that anti-venom is available here with a prescription and am getting some, “just in case” (we are good with injections). Our caretaker has cut back weeds along our road and killed 4 more terciopelo, so it seems that having the serum handy is a good idea. Just a cautionary note for our friends at We Love Costa Rica 🙂

costaricabill
    Participant

Where did you get the anti-venom (especially on a Sunday)? How do you store it and what is the shelf life?

VictoriaLST

Our neighbor was getting it for us at Dos Pinos in Tilaran, although they do not have it in stock at present but they are ordering it so it is possible that other Dos Pinos’ can also order. Shelf life – refrigerated – is about 6 months, although older serum is better than none. Vets usually do not carry the serum due to cost and shelf life. There is also an injectable for the shock which often accompanies envenomation. More info when I have it.

maravilla

get some atropine, too, for the bufos.

rosiemaji

I believe the anti-venom can be obtained from a farm supply store that sells medications for farm animals.

There is usually a vet at these stores that can give advise as to dosage for the size of each animal it is for.

Our neighbor has over 100 cows and over the years he has saved several of his cows from terciopelo snake bites.

He did lose a small chihuahua dog because they were not at home when the dog was bit and it died before they got home. He also lost a lovely yearling colt for the same reason.

It was probably bitten at night. I think the anti-venom needs to be given within 3 hours of the snake bite but the vet at the store should confirm this.

When humans are bit, they should immediately go to the emergency room as the dose a human needs may be larger than that for a dog and the ER would be able to deal with any side effects of the anti-venom.

There is also another venomous snake in our area that may require a different anti-venom.

VictoriaLST

Evidently the anti-venom is both hideously expensive and in very short supply due to short ‘shelf life’ in the refrigerator. Friends and I have been discussing putting a number of families together to buy it when it is available. Sounds like a plan.

Doug Ward

[quote=”VictoriaLST”]Evidently the anti-venom is both hideously expensive and in very short supply due to short ‘shelf life’ in the refrigerator. Friends and I have been discussing putting a number of families together to buy it when it is available. Sounds like a plan.[/quote]
    NONSENSE. It’s 2 vials for about $50. In The Empire, you get bit by a rattler, it’s over $1200 per vial(applied by a clueless moron).Guess where they get it ?
    I buy 4 at a time, every six months, and used 2 vials one time on my……mastiff.Worked like a champ.
    Thank you for the reminder. I’ll call Mario(vet) tomorrow and get a couple of fresh ones.

I was told that the main reason that we humans should never plan to use anti venom at home is because a large number of people react to the anti venom by going into anaphylactic shock.
    Sounds like some of you have been successful using it on your dogs……do you know what the dangers are to using it ourselves on our dogs? Is it safe, or just better then nothing if the vet is not available????

DavidCMurray
    Participant

A longstanding premise in emergency medicine is that you cannot hurt a dead man. People worry, for example, that in performing CPR they may break ribs or lacerate the liver. Both are risks but lesser risks than certain death.

While it may be true that administration of anti venom to either humans or animals may induce anaphylactic shock, if the alternative outcome is certain death then the anti venom is the lesser of the two evils. That way, at least there is chance of recovery.

rosiemaji

I like the idea of getting a small supply of anti-venom and then letting the neighbors know it is available. If a neighbor should need it first, they can either replace what they used or reimburse me for the cost to get a new supply. We will have our 2 Aussie service dogs with us in Costa Rica and I would want to make sure they were safe. We also have cows and horses in our pastures all night. If any of our animals should get bitten by a snake, it would certainly happen after all of the stores had closed for the night or for the weekend.

rosiemaji

Adrenaline (epinephrine) is used to prevent an allergic (anaphylatic) reaction to the anti-venom. It is sometimes given before any symptoms of a reaction occur. It has its own side effects as well.

VictoriaLST

[/quote]
    NONSENSE. It’s 2 vials for about $50. In The Empire, you get bit by a rattler, it’s over $1200 per vial(applied by a clueless moron).Guess where they get it ?
    I buy 4 at a time, every six months, and used 2 vials one time on my……mastiff.Worked like a champ.
    Thank you for the reminder. I’ll call Mario(vet) tomorrow and get a couple of fresh ones.
    [/quote]

Is that Dr. Mario in Tilaran? If so, I will contact him, if not, how do I get in touch with your vet. The other place in Tilaran had no supply of serum and no idea when they would get some.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.