Temporary Labor

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Temporary Labor

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Simpson

Do you have to pay CAJA and SS on temporary labor?

Can the person you have working for you full time, can he be responsible for his CAJS/SS by signing a contract, or is there laws about that?

VictoriaLST

For temps, they pay CAJA but it is a good idea to get insurance that covers accidents on your property.

Want to get a great reputation? Offer to pay part of the CAJA. I have a caretaker who works half-time for us and we pay his CAJA but not SS. We also make sure that we pay his aquinaldo (Christmas bonus) and vacation and are generous about it. I do need to look into the SS issue.

You will get more replies on this thread and you should also do a search of past threads using ‘aquinaldo’, SS, wages and such. Lots of info here.

costaricafinca
    Participant

Yes, you are required to pay the[u] proportional amount required[/u] for their CAJA and you should have an INS workers policy too, (similar to workers compensation in the case of an injury on the job as CAJA [u]will not treat a work related injury)[/u]… unless he is contracted from another ‘company’.
    The previous poster says [i]’Want to get a great reputation? Offer to pay part of the CAJA”. [/i][i]This is not a gift[/i] to the worker but [b]your[/b] legal responsibility, and if not done it may come back to haunt you.

VictoriaLST

Oops. I stand corrected. Although it may be a legal responsibility, it is seldom done out here in the hinterlands. Probably more usual in the cities. I know our caretaker was surprised and delighted when I told him I would pay his CAJA as no one else has ever offered.

costaricafinca
    Participant

We too, are in the ‘hinterlands’ and every worker we have had, knows what they are due, and if they are ‘terminated’ and they go to the local equivalent of the ‘Labor relations’ office to find out what their termination pay should be, they [u]will[/u] be asked if this has been paid or not. If the answer is no, you as an [i]extranjero[/i], can expect repercussions…
    If you have a contract worker or let’s say, coffee pickers, this doesn’t apply as you are paying them per [i]canasta [/i] unless they are also required to perform other tasks on the property as part of their employment.

BTW,if you provide accommodation for your caretaker, you need to add this cost of this ‘gift’ as part of his [i]aguinaldo[/i] plus it will come into effect, if he is terminated as part of his termination package.
    [url=http://www.therealcostarica.com/costa_rica_business/costa_rica_labor_law.html#hol]Additional info[/url]

VictoriaLST

Thanks again, Finca!

watchdog

Basically, all labor in Costa Rica is treated the same. There are no temporary, part-time, or full time categories of labor recognized. Work permits issued by the CR Immigration Department for migrant agricultural workers, or foreigners working for companies in a specific technical field would be the only distinct labor category. An independent contractor contract with a worker, would have to meet the test of their not being under your direction and control, to be enforceable as such (eg. no specified hours of work, etc.). Otherwise, the worker would be an employee and subject to all the normal CAJA payments and the provisions of the CR Labor Code.

Doug Ward

Just pay it. Costa Ricans are too incompetent/ignorant to argue with in “court”.
    You’re up yonder in Aguacate (avocado—aint none there—another lie).
    When you are almost in Tila, on the left, look for an INS sign. Watson. Good man. He’ll wiping da chit frumm your eyes and instruct your process.His Ingles is decent.
    I have the botanical garden on the left.I have a serious kickazz coffee machine. Stop by.We can talk more.

[quote=”VictoriaLST”]Oops. I stand corrected. Although it may be a legal responsibility, it is seldom done out here in the hinterlands. Probably more usual in the cities. I know our caretaker was surprised and delighted when I told him I would pay his CAJA as no one else has ever offered.[/quote]

The “hinterlands” are not that hinterlands any more and I have seen many cases where all of a sudden 2 or 3 CCSS inspectors walk on a property and interview the workers. I have seen employers not only pay the difference for several months or years but also pay a fine as much as $2000. Caja (CCSS, Social Security) and workers insurance INS is not something one offers, it is any employers obligation, unless the job is done by “contrato por obra determinada” and the contracting company does have workers they send to do the job (and pay their CCSS, INS and benefits).

Some workers are still humble and shy, but they are not stupid and they know their rights, and after being fired, some go to the Ministerio de Trabajo and get their calculation sheet telling them what they were supposed to be paid vs. what they have been paid, including amount of aguinaldo, cesantia, vacaciones and preaviso.

Some employers are lucky, others are not, but you never know what group you belong to until you fire your worker (or CCSS walks on your property).

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.