Telephones in Costa Rica

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Telephones in Costa Rica

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    steve80545

How much trouble is calling the US from a hotel or pay phone? I just want to call home once or twice on our trip, not rent a daily cell phone. thanks, steve

wmaes47

Steve

The best thing to do is use the ICE calling cards and a pay phone.

There are a lot of various stores that sell these cards. They are have three different designations and two different prices.

Designations are the 197, 198 and 199 cards with denominations of 1,000 colones and 3,000 colones. The smaller amount will not make a very long call to the States. Cost runs about 32 cents or 169 colones a minute as of 19 April 2006.

Use of a hotel phone with the calling card will add to the cost of call. Using the hotel’s phone… well I have heard many horror stories.

Scratch off the secret number on the back of the card, Pick up the pay phone, Dial the three digit number on the front of the card, press 2 on the phone, enter the uncovered number on the back of the card… then dial 001-area code-phone number.

Real simple if you get a card that goes only to Spanish. The 197 and 198 card connect only in Spanish. The 199 card answers in Spanish then goes to English.

Cheers
    Bill Maes

Edited on Apr 20, 2006 07:57

steve80545

Thanks much, my children will be relieved.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

You can also get an AT&T prepaid calling card from Sam’s Club or Wal-Mart and use that from Costa Rica.

From any Costa Rican phone, dial:

0-800-011-4114

When you are prompted to enter “the number you have been given”, enter the 800 number from the calling card (no “1”) just as you would if you were calling from within the United States. Enter your card number, and when prompted, enter the Area Code and number for the phone you wish to reach.

steve80545

Thanks, this is especially helpful as I already have this card.

At the Internet Cafes you can go on line to certain websites and call your home for only .30 a minute! Great connection! My parents called me from a site the last time they were there. Great deal!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.